Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Puppy health

Old June 2nd, 2010, 02:58 PM

A question about my new puppies

Milo and Chloe are 4 months old. Milo is about 4.5 lbs and Chloe is about 15 pounds right now. We took them to the vet and they were diagnosed with Demodex Mange...but I just want to know the correct dosing for this medication and how many CC's I should be giving each dog because what my vet reccomended seems REALLY high to me.
Old June 2nd, 2010, 04:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

They both have demodex mange, emily?

What did the vet prescribe? Any questions about the dosage should be brought up with your vet--most vets won't charge for a follow-up phone call. So your first step should be to call the clinic and bring up your concerns.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 8th, 2010, 01:18 AM

Yes, they both have demodex and the vet prescirbed Ivermectin 0.1 for Milo (4.7 lbs) and 0.3 for Chloe (17 lbs) does this sound about right?
Old June 8th, 2010, 09:53 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm not a vet, Emily, so I can't answer your question. We use ivermectin as a wormer, but our dogs are much bigger and the dosing range may differ for deworming. It also may depend on whether your dogs have generalized or localized cases of mange.

But I'm pretty sure if you talk to your vet and express your concerns about the size of the dose, he'll talk to you about it. If you still don't agree with his recommendations, you can always check with another vet.

I wouldn't put treatment off too much longer, though. If demodex mange gets out of hand, it can be very difficult to treat.

Good luck with your dogs, Emily! I hope they recover quickly!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 9th, 2010, 06:30 PM

For demodex treatment you normally build up the dose, starting at a very low dose to see if there are any reactions.
Is it localized or generalized demodex?
Many puppies get localized demodex, and it is immune mediated.

Add a salmon oil to their food for its anti inflammatory benefits and get them on the best food you can afford.

All dogs have demodex mites, only when their immune system is compromised to they get symptomatic with mange. Puppies are more common, as they have huge upheavals in their lives which is stressful as well as a undeveloped immune system.