Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old September 17th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Jon Gosselin Sends His Dogs Back to Breeder, Blames Wife

Yeah, these poor dogs were being used for publicity when they were purchased and here is the result. Hopefully, they will find good homes. I have a feeling they will.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Jon Gosselin Sends His Dogs Back to Breeder, Blames Wife

Shoka and Nala, the family dogs are being discarded and Jon has been telling pals it's Kate's fault because she won't take care of them

Okay animal lovers, divorcing a spouse is one thing, but getting rid of your dogs is quite another. Jon Gosselin is sending his two German Shepherds back to the breeder as part of the fallout from his divorce from Kate.

While the eight Gosselin children are staying in the family's Wernersville, PA home, their parents are splitting time there, trying to avoid disrupting the kids' lives but also not wanting to be around each other.

Now, Shoka and Nala, the family dogs, are being discarded and Jon has been telling pals it's Kate's fault because she won't take care of them when he's not at the house.

"Jon blames Kate for having to give up the dogs," a source close to the situation told RadarOnline.com exclusively. "Of course, these days Jon blames Kate for just about everything."

Earlier in the summer Jon caused an uproar when he made comments to People.com about the dogs. "Those kids beat them up, climb on them, pull their tails, bite at them, drag them around and everything you can imagine not to do to an animal, they've done."

The Humane Society of Berks County, Pa., where the Gosselins live, received numerous complaints about the family and animal cruelty, prompting Jon to release a statement to the HSBC.

"I would like to clarify a recent statement I made regarding my family's two German Shepherd puppies, Shoka and Nala. The statement - if taken literally and out of context - could be misinterpreted and I'd like to set the record straight. We understand the responsibilities of being good dog owners. Whenever my kids are with Shoka and Nala, everyone is carefully supervised to ensure that no one - dog or child - is injured. Shoka and Nala are loyal companions who we consider members of our family. We would never do anything to hurt them, and treat them with the respect and love that they deserve."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Of course, Jon takes some time to get one last photo op with the dogs. Gotta squeeze every little last bit of publicity.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old September 17th, 2009, 10:04 AM
owned by Tucker

Seems like thats all those two do is blame each other for everything, I feel sorry for the children must be nice having to publicly deal with your parents divorce. I'm sure the dogs will find good homes as they are celebrities.
Senior Contributor

I'm surprised they lasted this long, and think it's probably best for the dogs anyhow. What jerks. One more lesson for the kids about being disposable.
Rescue is my fav. breed

I have never watched the show, but I have a feeling that the dogs may be better off not in that family.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 17th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Whether these two stayed together or not, these dogs were doomed. Any good breeder would have considered the fact that there are many young children and never had 'sold' 2 dogs (let alone 1) to a young family.

Personally, I blame the breeder. Had they watched the show they would have gotten that 'gut' feeling that these dogs did not belong in that family. One pup and many kids is hard enough - but two??? Come on!
Old September 17th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Senior Contributor

I never liked the idea of getting two large breed dogs for them. Those kids are too young and are having a hard enough time just competing with their parents attention. Those dogs to them was just a novelty which has worn off.

I've no doubt they will find a better home. I've no doubt they were sitting around wondering what they could do for a show and someone chimed in saying, "Oh I know, we could do an episode about the family getting a dog!"
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old September 17th, 2009, 10:55 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Too bad they couldn't have gone to a rescue instead of going back to the "breeder". :sad: But, as has been said, they will probably be snapped up because they are "famous".
Old September 17th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Geek Club CEO

I was pretty mad at the breeder that sold the dogs to them. I mean, seriously??? SERIOUSLY??? Kate was grumpy about the dogs right from the start, before they even picked them up. The breeder sent them home with the dogs and they didn't even have food, leashes, ANYTHING bought and ready at home yet NOT a smart breeder IMO.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:11 AM

No reputable breeder would sell two GSD puppy littermates to a family with eight children, all under the age of 6 or 8. Littermates are difficult enough to raise together, let alone such a strong breed. It could be done, but not with having to raise 8 children in addition! TMZ posted a video a few weeks ago showing the children smacking the dogs around.
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
I was pretty mad at the breeder that sold the dogs to them. I mean, seriously??? SERIOUSLY??? Kate was grumpy about the dogs right from the start, before they even picked them up. The breeder sent them home with the dogs and they didn't even have food, leashes, ANYTHING bought and ready at home yet NOT a smart breeder IMO.
I could not agree with you more Bendyfoot. I am just in rescue and have more concern about where the dogs and cats are going. One hiccup or raised eyebrow and that dog is not going anywhere....until I am confident and satisfied with another potential family. Quite frankly - I don't care how long that may be.

You would think that the breeder would have gotten those signals. All I can say is I am darn glad they did not go to a rescue group for their fur companions. If they did and the dogs were sent off with them, there would be some major criticism in regards to rescues in general.
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor

So true.

Poor dogs....Poor kids. What bad examples those parents have been setting...:sad:

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old September 17th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Looks like it is good that they are not with the family. There is footage of some of the kids, hitting the dogs with plastic bats. Grrr.

And 14Kitties, Most breeders have it in their contract, that if the owner does not want to keep the dog(s), they are sent back to thet breeder. If they were sent to a rescue. More likely then not, the rescue would send the dogs back to the breeder. If animals come from a breeder, and are given up and not returned to the owner..legal action can be taken.

ACO22
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
Looks like it is good that they are not with the family. There is footage of some of the kids, hitting the dogs with plastic bats. Grrr.

And 14Kitties, Most breeders have it in their contract, that if the owner does not want to keep the dog(s), they are sent back to thet breeder. If they were sent to a rescue. More likely then not, the rescue would send the dogs back to the breeder. If animals come from a breeder, and are given up and not returned to the owner..legal action can be taken.

ACO22
Most rescues will do their research before notifying a breeder. If not a reputable breeder - the dog ain't going. If registered and the breeder is of top notch quality and have a fabulous reputation, then rescues will surrender. Interestingly enough, I have had breeders say to re-home and if there is a problem then they will take the dog back. Personally, I rather keep the dog and find a home myself just be to assured that I know where the dog is going. I have dealt with one breeder in particular that was spectacular and I have no problem giving them back one of their dogs.
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:26 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post

ACO22
We have been all around this argument before. I know "good" breeders will take the dogs back. Not gonna do the dance again.
What I meant when I said they should have gone to a rescue is that when they originally got the dogs from the breeder the dogs were not exactly kept in what I would consider quality conditions. I figure they would be much better off at a rescue. A good rescue would not try to benefit from having "famous" dogs whereas now the breeder may well charge an exhorbitant amount for those particular dogs. Thereby benefiting from the dogs even more.
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I'm a softy

wow.. shocked... I HATED when they got those dogs, I knew those kids and the dogs were in for heartbreak... wow.. Kate is way to selfish to care for those beautiful dogs they way they deserve. I remember when they were outside for a picnic and of coarse the attention starved dogs came over to visit and Kate screamed at Jon to put them back in their cage where they belong.. gosh that was hard to see, the dogs deserve their own place at the picnic.

I too also blame the breeder, in the right hands those dogs would flourish, and I guess he thought with all the hired help and the love of all the kids the dogs would do great, and in many other large families maybe it would have worked.

I can only pray that this is a new beginning for those dogs, that they have not suffered too much trauma through this, that they can make a truly deserving family happy for the rest of their lives, someone that will wrap their arms and hearts around them, give them happiness and security and show them what human love and family really is, good luck Shoka and Nala, today will be the first day of the rest of your life.
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Garden nut

Sad story.

That show should never have been on TV in the first place. It's vapid, pointless and totally unnecessary. A total waste of time. Most "reality" shows are stupid anyway. Good thing I never watched it.

I hope the dogs find a loving home.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old September 17th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I remember when they got the dogs, Kate said she had always wanted a cat, "the kind with the smushed face." I knew right then, it was a mistake.

First, you could tell she just wasn't a dog person. Fine, not everyone is a dog or cat person. But if you are one or the other, I'd like to think you would at least know the name of the particular type of dog or cat you have always wanted.

Old September 17th, 2009, 01:36 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
Sad story.

That show should never have been on TV in the first place. It's vapid, pointless and totally unnecessary. A total waste of time. Most "reality" shows are stupid anyway. Good thing I never watched it.

I hope the dogs find a loving home.
My feelings too on most TV shows.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 17th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

Do we know that they paid for the dogs. I haven't seen Kate pay for much. They seem to get an awful lot of things for free.

I am so glad to hear that the dogs have left their home. Now they may have a chance for a normal life.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old September 17th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I am SO pissed at this! Those amazing dogs lost out on a chance for a great puppyhood for no good reason at all. I really hope they find loving homes now.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old September 18th, 2009, 10:42 AM

This was expected, the dogs are better off now though, away from their acidic environment.
Old September 18th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Those dogs are very lucky to be sent back to the breeder. That family is like a bloody circus anyhow. Besides how stupid getting 2 puppies with all those kids. Now if they would cancel the show those kids may have a normal or relatively normal life with that whack job as a mother and the father is not much better. Those poor kids are just a meal ticket
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh thank GOD.. I Cringed when the bouhgt those dogs.. Seriously, TWO german Shepherds? Seriously!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UGH..

they are SOO much better off now. I wish I could take them home and spoil them like they deserve.
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I just came across this picture of Jon and the dogs on the day he packed them up and sent them away.

Is it just me, or is this absolutley disgusting? Look at the condition of this kennel - completley rusted out and bent in an odd shape. You would think that someone who was portraying to have 'loved his dogs' would've put time and some of that "hard earned money" into getting safe and new equipment for his dogs.

And HAY? Please. WTF, for real.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old September 18th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Senior Contributor

That is my thought - what a filthy crate! Glad they are leaving that stupid family!
Old September 18th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I wish that whole screwed up family could be sent back to the breeders,the kids to be rehomed,just like the dogs,they would be better off
Old September 18th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

And people support this show by watching it?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 18th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I think it's kinda like a car accident - you just have to look! That said, I can't say that I watch the show, but I have seen bits and pieces when I was flicking through channels and stop for a few minutes. Mostly then I'd just get disgusted and keep on going. I think I only ever saw a brief clip of the dogs once (the picnic thing). It's such a waste of air time. Can't wait for the Octomom show... not! While that is an ugly cage, boy they are lovely looking dogs. I'm glad they're out of there.
Old September 18th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quite frankly, the dogs are even looking a little scraggly and thin. Their fur looks dull. I wonder how many good quality meals they actually had.

Old September 18th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Anyone know if Kate or Jon have been neutered yet?

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else