Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old May 6th, 2013, 01:39 PM

Just a little rant...

The weather has finally improved here, this weekend we were in the 20's! just fabulous... so on saturday we decided to go to the farmers market so the dogs could enjoy the outdoors as well. Of course everywhere we walk people are constantly stooping us to pet the dogs, which is a bit uncomfortable for Guero, because he still pees when he is touched, needless to say my shirt ended up wet too

We ran into a lady who got really emotional with Bestia because she had just lost her yorkie dog a couple weeks ago, and she said Bestia was very much like him... then she started asking questions about where we got them and such, then she started going on and on about dogs that she has rescued and saying that the breeder we got Guero from was shut down and she help to do that, because they were not good - which I did went to check when I got home and that was a lie, they are still in business - they seemed to me like very responsible breeders, they gave us a 1 year guarantee, and they wouldn't even let Bestia come in contact with him unless we were 100% sure we were taking him, as they didn't want to risk the puppy's health and the others. And who knows, maybe I am wrong about them, I have learned so much in the last few months with a lot of research and school that there is a few things I question now, but guero is home now and that is it.

Anyways, the lady actually made me feel gulty that I didn't have rescue dogs. Which I did look for, but there was never small dogs at the rescues here; sadly a couple months ago I did find out there is a small dog rescue place at the city a couple hours from us, would I have known that I would have gotten puppies there.

When we got Bestia 2 years ago, I was under the impression that the person we were getting him from had her 2 dogs and well they had puppies so she was finding good homes for them... once we went to pick him up I realized that she had more dogs than just 2, and basically she was a backyard breeder kinda deal... I had already fallen in-love with Bestia though, I couldn't leave him, I Do know that that person's little business has been shot down now but I know that Bestia was meant to be with me, he needed care for an ear infection that they were not even aware off, and well he has been the light of my life since and I know he is happy to be with us too.

I do want to get a rescue in the near future, I am actually thinking of a special needs dog, but I have to give B & G more time before we even start looking for another furkid. In the meantime though, I don't know why I feel bad, but some days is like I have to justify to people why I don't have a rescued dog and why I got them from those places Would I have done things differently knowing everything I know now? Absolutely!!, but they are home with me and I know they have the best care they can have and that is more important to me.

...well that was my venting for the day... people just have a way of getting to me at times. Thankfully puppy kisses always make it all better

Name:  playtime.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  19.0 KB

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old May 6th, 2013, 02:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Please do not feel bad about not rescueing. Your two furkids are exactly where they need to be. You are a good fur Mom and your two are adorable. I love the pic that you posted here
Old May 6th, 2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbpatti View Post
Please do not feel bad about not rescueing. Your two furkids are exactly where they need to be. You are a good fur Mom and your two are adorable. I love the pic that you posted here
thank you... they are such happy little guys, never a dull moment with them. This is how they always play, Bestia is always on top, and is not a dominance thing, Guero literally throws himself on the floor to play all the time

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old May 6th, 2013, 03:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Jull I totally hear you about the not rescuing guilt. When we bought these two puppies, we spent a long time searching for a reputable breeder, so at least I know I did that part right, but I also feel guilty about not rescuing. All of my pets prior have come from rescue. Don't dwell on the guilt, you've learned a lot as you said, and you will share that wisdom with others. Your two will not be used to reproduce unwanted puppies, it's all good!
Old May 6th, 2013, 07:03 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

ya don't feel bad for sure!! I've had 3 purebred cats. 2 Manx, includes Bobee, got him from the same breeder and Baxter my British Shorthair, all from breeders. But I've also done the rescue/adopt route too of course. I checked out the breeders of course and they were both excellent. I just wish the Manx breeder hadn't retired cause man they are getting hard to find. It would be sad to see the breed die out.
Old May 6th, 2013, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Jull I totally hear you about the not rescuing guilt. When we bought these two puppies, we spent a long time searching for a reputable breeder, so at least I know I did that part right, but I also feel guilty about not rescuing. All of my pets prior have come from rescue. Don't dwell on the guilt, you've learned a lot as you said, and you will share that wisdom with others. Your two will not be used to reproduce unwanted puppies, it's all good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattymac View Post
ya don't feel bad for sure!! I've had 3 purebred cats. 2 Manx, includes Bobee, got him from the same breeder and Baxter my British Shorthair, all from breeders. But I've also done the rescue/adopt route too of course. I checked out the breeders of course and they were both excellent. I just wish the Manx breeder hadn't retired cause man they are getting hard to find. It would be sad to see the breed die out.
You know, I think the problem started back from when I was a kid, all of our dogs came from homes of people we knew, there is not alot of knowledge in mexico about reputable or registered breeders, so when I started looking for bestia I really had no direction and honestly I knew nothing about the concept of backyard breeders, actual good breeders, puppy mills... like I said I thought bestia was from a home of a couple dogs, but soon I realized something was up. Now I have learned so much more and now I know how important it is to either go to a good registered breeder or a rescue and what to expect from both.

You are right DD...Never thought about it I am sure my guys would make beautiful babies lol but no chance in hell that will happen

Old May 7th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Senior Contributor

The goal is to educate prospective pet owners to either buy from a reputable breeder or support a rescue. NOt to buy puppies from BYB, pet stores, mills, flea markets etc. But not to punish those who didn't know and did get the pet they love to bits from a bad place. We can't help what we didn't know then, we can do something with what we know now. Good for you, I think your post can be a valuable recounting of experience and hopefully will help out anyone looking for a dog.

You just love your little pups to bits, they deserve it and so do you.
Old May 7th, 2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
The goal is to educate prospective pet owners to either buy from a reputable breeder or support a rescue. NOt to buy puppies from BYB, pet stores, mills, flea markets etc. But not to punish those who didn't know and did get the pet they love to bits from a bad place. We can't help what we didn't know then, we can do something with what we know now. Good for you, I think your post can be a valuable recounting of experience and hopefully will help out anyone looking for a dog.

You just love your little pups to bits, they deserve it and so do you.
Thanks LB, yes I definitely tell people now be careful and do research; it is not saying that those, probably unhealthy dogs, shouldn't have a good home, but those people need to stop making a profit from these innocent creatures; sure some people may have good intentions of mating their dogs (who live in a loving home), but this is just as irresponsible as any inbreeding, I think.

--------------
Thanks everyone for your positive comments, it does make me feel better. And I hope Bestia's siblings are in good homes as well.

Old May 7th, 2013, 02:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Jull I had a fellow tell me he wanted to breed his GSD with the neighbours Doberman because that's how you get Rottweilers and they could sell them for lots of money. Seriously!! I told him, no that's how you get mutts. I can't believe the world some people still live in...
Old May 7th, 2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Jull I had a fellow tell me he wanted to breed his GSD with the neighbours Doberman because that's how you get Rottweilers and they could sell them for lots of money. Seriously!! I told him, no that's how you get mutts. I can't believe the world some people still live in...
whaaaaaaaaat?? just when you think you've heard it all, someone like this comes along... Wow, I almost spell my drink from reading this lol, its funny (thinking that's how you get a certain breed) but its so sad all at the same time.

I almost lost it on my sister when she told me she wanted her 2 weenier pups to have dogs at least once, I asked her why? she said, just because If it wasn't because she is 2 countries away I would have slap her!

Old May 7th, 2013, 04:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh yes, of course because I have a male and female puppy I get asked all the time if I'm going to breed them and when I say no they say why not - you could make lots of money. Um, no thanks. The professionals can do the breeding, not me. One lady said, oh but Lupa would be so much happier if she could have just one litter. I tried very hard to POLITELY explain that having children for the sake of passing on our genetics is a human thing, dogs breed just because it's a wildlife survival issue, not because they get all warm and fuzzy over raising a family. I really thought that way of thinking had gone the way of the dodo bird, but sadly it's still out there alive and well.
Old May 8th, 2013, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Oh yes, of course because I have a male and female puppy I get asked all the time if I'm going to breed them and when I say no they say why not - you could make lots of money. Um, no thanks. The professionals can do the breeding, not me. One lady said, oh but Lupa would be so much happier if she could have just one litter. I tried very hard to POLITELY explain that having children for the sake of passing on our genetics is a human thing, dogs breed just because it's a wildlife survival issue, not because they get all warm and fuzzy over raising a family. I really thought that way of thinking had gone the way of the dodo bird, but sadly it's still out there alive and well.
Sometimes they just see such cute and adorable dogs that they think they should have babies because they are going to be just as cute,

I was asked a few times too if I was going to breed bestia because he was so cute - I am cute too and I don't have any urges to procreate!

Old May 9th, 2013, 03:51 PM
Kitty pimp

when miss amanda was in for spaying the vet says ohh shes pregnent since lelsie at hkk was paying i called her and she goes " ohhhh they would be beautiful!! I had to remind her we had about 40 cats to get homes for
Old May 9th, 2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
when miss amanda was in for spaying the vet says ohh shes pregnent since lelsie at hkk was paying i called her and she goes " ohhhh they would be beautiful!! I had to remind her we had about 40 cats to get homes for
Yikes! what happen with miss amanda and kittens?

Old May 9th, 2013, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Do you mean to tell me you're not going to have a puppy shower for Lupa?? ? I am joking of course.
Old May 10th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

The only shower Lupa's going to have will involve soap!