Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old May 27th, 2012, 03:43 PM

Do not leave your pet in a car

You wouldn't stay in your car with the windows roled up wearing a fur coat would you? then why leave your pet in the car?
Attached Images

Old May 27th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Chum Mum

You would think that this is a no brainer....sadly you see it every summer, some idiot leaving their pets,
or even kids in a hot car unattended. I do not understand, it seems so obvious
R.I.P. Boog,Pootie, Bud & Tarkha
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I look into your soft brown eyes,
Where love and loyal homage shine,
And wonder where the difference lies
Between your soul and mine!
Old May 27th, 2012, 05:15 PM

Common sense is a gift, and some didn't get presents ! I hate people who abuse animals, I've heard and seen enough in my lifetime.
Old May 27th, 2012, 05:35 PM

I see it too, some people think its okay if they leave their windows open a crack so air is coming in. Sorry but if its 30C outside that crack isn't going to do a thing.
Old May 27th, 2012, 08:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasianni View Post
I see it too, some people think its okay if they leave their windows open a crack so air is coming in. Sorry but if its 30C outside that crack isn't going to do a thing.
I have gotten into a lot of argument with people leaving their dog in a hot car. I called the cop once and she when into the store and got the dog owner and told her to open the windows more and not leave the dog in a hot car. I also hate it when people drag their poor dog to a holiday event down town and it hot as hell and owners bring no water for their dogs.
Old May 27th, 2012, 09:42 PM

I would like to see those same people drive around without using their AC or rolling down the windows. Bet they can't do it.
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old May 28th, 2012, 12:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsqU4r3d View Post
You would think that this is a no brainer....sadly you see it every summer, some idiot leaving their pets,
or even kids in a hot car unattended. I do not understand, it seems so obvious
Thought this tag was appropriate.

I know someone who killed two beautiful ACD's this way. Tragic, stupid mistake of thinking it wasn't as warm as it was, an appalling way for the dogs to die, but she has to live with the memory all her life. What else can you say, it still leaves me a bit speechless. And teary , having met the female that died. A lovely young red girl.
Attached Images

Old May 28th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Senior Contributor

I like that sticker in the OP. It is a sticker? I'd like to get some of those and go slapping them on windows of cars I see with someone shut in during hot weather. I'd add to the list, "old people." Anyone remember the news a few years ago about a woman in Toronto who left her mother in the cat in the heat while she went shopping? The mother died.
Old May 28th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Senior Contributor

I tried to get a grocery store to page a shopper. They wouldn't. So I left a nasty note on their windshield!!!!!
Old May 28th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

The Ottawa Human Society just put out this warning and video a few days ago.

OTTAWA, Ont. (25, May 2012) – Leaving a dog in a car even for a few minutes on a hot day could be fatal. Last year, the Ottawa Humane Society (OHS) received more than 250 calls about dogs left in vehicles on hot summer days. When the thermometer soars, a parked car can quickly become a furnace, endangering an animal’s life and making the owner liable to criminal charges.

With only hot air to breathe, a dog’s normal cooling process-panting-doesn’t work. A dog can withstand internal body temperatures of 40°C for only a few minutes before brain damage or death can occur.

Signs of canine heatstroke/heat exhaustion include;

1. Rapid heartbeat

2. Heavy panting

3. Lethargy

4. Lack of coordination

5. Weakness or muscle tremors

6. Unconsciousness

7. Glazed eyes

8. Convulsions

If you see an animal that may be suffering from heat exhaustion, and the owner can’t be quickly located, call the Ottawa Humane Society’s emergency phone line at 613-725-1532.

A hot car is no place for a pet. The OHS advises people that when it’s hot, leave your pet at home, with access to shade and plenty of fresh water.

For an eye-opening view of what it’s like in a sweltering car, view the video made by an Ottawa reporter who sat in one for 20 minutes.

A word about the Ottawa Humane Society:

The Ottawa Humane Society is a registered charity founded in 1888. The Society works in and with the community to provide leadership in the humane treatment of all animals, to address the causes of animal suffering, to encourage people to take responsibility for their animal companions, and to provide care for animals who are neglected, abused, exploited, stray, or homeless.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
I tried to get a grocery store to page a shopper. They wouldn't. So I left a nasty note on their windshield!!!!!
I have tried to do this too at Marshall's one time and I was told by the employee she was not allowed to page the person! I was so pissed off, and said "so you will rather have a the dog die in a hot car??" I leave nasty notes too and had thought of having some cards or fliers made up to leave on people cars when they do leave their poor dog(s) in hot or cold car. I once saw two hairless dogs left in a cold car in the winter and the dogs had no coats on to help keep them warm.
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
Couldn't you call the local animal control? Or the Police?

I was at a mall when I found a dog in a car and no way to guess which store the driver was in. I called the OSPCA but the driver came back before they arrived. Right snarky he was and pretty huffy when I told him the OSPCA were on their way.

He left but of course I taken down a description of the vehicle and the license plate number along with how long I had observed the dog, which was less than it had been there, me having found it when I arrived. The OSPCA told me they would call him and follow up with a warning but I have no way of knowing if they did. Or if they did, what happened.
Old May 28th, 2012, 12:38 PM

Leaving dog in hot car?

Just a simple question if it is okay, because I am first time new Beagle Puppy Owner.

Today outside in Toronto, Canada the temperature almost feels if it is 40 Degrees, but the big cool down comes tomorrow with a passing cold front.

I have a 2010 Toyota Corolla CE, with Air Conditioning, is it okay to leave my Beagle Puppy in his crate with:

1. All windows open, all the way down in a shady area with Car Engine Off?

2. Leave the car running (doors locked, I have a spare key) with Air Conditioning running? - and Yes I heard of the 3 minute idling law?

Just wondering if it is okay, if it is not then I will have to leave my Beagle Puppy alone at home, while he goes under some Separation Anxiety attacks. He howls and yelps if left alone too long and would only feel comfortable being alone in the crate if he senses someone near him. Also going to bring him to Puppy Training school soon.

Last edited by Rocketstick; May 28th, 2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Wording
Old May 28th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Senior Contributor

NO

No is the safe answer. But really, for how long? For two minutes while you run into a store to buy your puppy a new toy? Then maybe yes to the AC and the car running while puppy is in crate.

No to the windows open. He's pretty cute, I'd steal him myself. If I saw that poor puppy had an owner dumb enough to leave him alone like that I would feel it my duty to save that poor puppy. I am only partly kidding. REad this whole thread, please.

I hope you are not comtemplating leaving such a young pup all alone in a crate while you are at work? A rule of thumb for crating time is one hour plus one additional hour per month of age. So that allows you, what? Nearly two hours?

How long are you thinking of leaving him in the crate?
Old May 28th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketstick View Post
Just a simple question if it is okay, because I am first time new Beagle Puppy Owner.

Today outside in Toronto, Canada the temperature almost feels if it is 40 Degrees, but the big cool down comes tomorrow with a passing cold front.

I have a 2010 Toyota Corolla CE, with Air Conditioning, is it okay to leave my Beagle Puppy in his crate with:

1. All windows open, all the way down in a shady area with Car Engine Off?

2. Leave the car running (doors locked, I have a spare key) with Air Conditioning running? - and Yes I heard of the 3 minute idling law?

Just wondering if it is okay, if it is not then I will have to leave my Beagle Puppy alone at home, while he goes under some Separation Anxiety attacks. He howls and yelps if left alone too long and would only feel comfortable being alone in the crate if he senses someone near him. Also going to bring him to Puppy Training school soon.
No , your puppy could get stolen , the polices been warning people where I live not to leave their small dogs in their cars as there been a lot dogs being stolen and resold and some end up in labs. You should never leave dog in an idling car, your car could be stolen too . You should leave your dog or puppy as home in a safe place , they'll be fine as long they have food and water.
Old May 29th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Senior Contributor

It's really not a good idea to leave your car running with the a/c on either. I can't recall the details of where this happened, but a few years ago a Police officer left his K9 in his patrol car with the A/C on while he went for lunch. Department policy. While he was in eating, the engine on the car died, and so did the dog.

Wide open windows sadly will mean a stolen dog.

Best to leave the dogs at home. That said, I always had to take my older girl with us, and we only shopped in placed with underground parking in the summer, or one of us stayed in the car with her.
Old May 29th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Yep. And my Vet had a lady in with two cats. When the hyper, terrified one was finished she chucked him back in the car, AC running and car locked. But the cat was loose in the car, pawed at the windows to get out and hit the window down button. One cat, gone. They did get him back, trapped in a live trap, which was how I got involved. Apparently out of all their patients and resources I am the only place they know of to borrow a live trap.
Old May 29th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

I was shopping at small mall and I heard a car horn being honked loudly, at first I thought a person was getting impatience waiting so long. Some people and I looked out the door and there was a dog leaning of the horn! That was one smart dog, he got his owner attention and she finish her shopping.
That dog made is very clear he did not like being left in a hot car.
Old May 29th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Barkingdog, good point about the car being stolen, as it's not that uncommon here to hear of cars being stolen even with babies or small children in them. For the car alone, thank heaven.
Old June 10th, 2012, 05:59 PM

Don't leave your dog/cat in your car.
Attached Images

Old June 10th, 2012, 06:44 PM

In the news today

Dog dies after being left in parked car

10/06/2012 4:47:57 PM

A dog has died after being locked in a car in the parking lot of Vaughn Mills Mall on Sunday.

York Regional Police said they got a call about a dog locked inside a vehicle in the parking lot of the popular mall just north of the city at around 2:15 p.m.

Officers attempted to rescue the dog -- a young chocolate labarador retriever -- but it was too late.

When police arrived on the scene the temperature was 28 Celsius.

Two people are expected to face animal cruelty charges in connection with the incident.

Will people ever learn.
Patches - Diluted Torti 2007-2022
Old June 11th, 2012, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

So I printed that "Don't cook your dog", next time I witness a dog locked up, not only am I going to call the police, but I will be putting this on the car windshield..... I was on a motorcycle on Sunday in over 30 degree heat, and I was dying at the intersection, I can just imagine in a closed up vehicle.
Old June 11th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

As per the newspaper article I read about the Vaughn Mills dog people saw the dog in distress and called authorities, who broke a window. Maybe if the first observers had taken action immediately the dog might have survived. We will never know. Ironically, I bet if observers had smashed a window and the dog survived then there would be room for doubt about how imperiled his life was in the first place. It's a tough call.

I read that article at breakfast. How many times have I said to myself, no more reading the paper, it just ruins my day.