Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old August 28th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Kitten Emergency!!

Please meet Leo, SugarPie, and Ebony. They and their other two siblings, Jet and Sylvester, desperately need homes!

Please see their cute cute cute pics HERE

They were born outside, like so many babies this time of year, and a kind family took them in. Kittens this age (JUST 7 WEEKS!) are very easy to turn into loving pets, with just a little bit of love and patience. The two boys are already just fine with their new human family, and the girlies are coming along well too!
There is a chance that these kittens will be released outdoors if homes/fosters cannot be found, and with winter coming, their future looks very grim.
If you can take one or two of these utterly ADORABLE babies, PLEASE call Tammy 450-424-8299 (daytime) or 450-424-0227 (P.M. and weekends) or email Tammy
These babies will be spayed/neutered before adoption.
Old August 29th, 2004, 09:21 AM
Senior Contributor

Lucky,put them outside???How can anyone do that?
I don't know where they are,but I am sure if they were at our HS,they would be snapped up in a second,they are adorable.....
What happened to the mom???
I am hoping someone will show mercy on these little innocent babies
Old August 29th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico, mom is totally feral, and no one wants to take on the task of taming her. This is so common - there are millions of cats giving birth outside right now and will still be doing so in the winter.

These babies are still skittish and scared, but taming 7 week old kittens is easy.

We don't like getting threats like this, but are going to do everything possible to help these little cuties.
Old August 29th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Lucky,I know feral cats probably do not have a very long life-span,but they somehow seem to survive,I would think winters are their worse enemy.
My"George"whom I fed morning and night for 3 yrs winter and summer,never, ever let me near him and sadly one day he came no more,I don't know if he was feral,but certainly afraid of people.
Here's a pic of my George,waiting to be fed.
I hope everything goes well with the kittens....
Attached Images

Old August 29th, 2004, 02:21 PM
Senior Contributor

The average lifespan for a feral cat is 3 years and I guess the beautiful George didn't beat that average by much.

IF they are spayed and neutered, have decent shelter and if someone feeds them regularly, the life would be considerably longer, if they can avoid wild animals, dogs, cars, people poisoning them, disease, parasites,etc.

Yes, winter is terrible for them. People think cats don't have kittens in the winter because they don't see them. But they do, and the kittens lie where they are hidden and die.
Old August 29th, 2004, 03:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes,it's a big nasty world out there and I am glad unlike you,I don't see it on a regular basis.I admire you tons for what you are doing..
Old August 29th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

and by the way,did you read about another"pitbull"attack in Toronto,it made the Toronto Star front-page
Apparently this man was looking after two pits for a friend and they attacked,he might lose his leg.
The dogs were wearing heavy spiked colors..
They were shot by the police and some people of course once again are yelling for a ban,but just as many people blame the owners not the dogs.
Old August 29th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Until the law starts coming down on the people who are responsible for this, nothing will change.

Every breed of dog that has ever bitten anyone can be banned but it won't stop this, as the type of people who abuse and pervert animals for their own sick needs are not going to be stopped by breed bans, just as criminals are not stopped by gun control.

As usual, the innocent must be punished for the crimes of the guilty.
Old August 29th, 2004, 05:22 PM

I saw the story on City Tv news lasnight, they were saying that the dog was shot several times and still ran away but the other dog was killed ( poor guy).My next door neighbor had a pit bull, he was very sweet and loving, but he started to act strange towards some of the family members, he told me that something happened with his brain where his skull was crushing it and he had to be put to sleep (broke his heart) and that this is very common in this breed of dog,I've never heard of this before not sure if it is true, the dog started having siezures and was leaning to one side alot, then he attacked his owner but snapped out of it before he was hurt, he said it was like the dog was posessed because he was always such a big baby, just curious if anyone has ever heard of this happening to this breed of dog.
Old August 29th, 2004, 05:45 PM
no, I am not a chick!

Not too sure if anyone has ever heard of this, Its pretty cool though, located right behind the Parliment building's. Definately worth checking out if your ever in my neck of the woods.
ottawa feral cats
Old August 29th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
something happened with his brain where his skull was crushing it and he had to be put to sleep (broke his heart) and that this is very common in this breed of dog
Funny - it used to be Dobermans whose brains outgrew their skulls! Guess hte breed changes with the times. This is absolutely ridiculous.

Epilepsy (not squeezed brains or possession) CAN cause aggression in any breed of dog and it sounds like that was the case in the dog you describe. Anti-seizure medication usually resolves this problem.
Old August 29th, 2004, 06:14 PM
Senior Contributor

It is a fact,I know since one of my sons has epilepsy,he would have a seizure and instead of sleeping after, like many do,he would get violent,not knowing what he was doing,for about what seemed to be hours.At 6foot3 and 230lb he was very difficult to control.I just had to make sure he did not go through the window or run out into the street.
He eventually had surgery and has been seizure free for 5 yrs(knock on wood)!! I assume the same scenario is possible even for a dog,except he might attack.
Old August 29th, 2004, 07:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Glad your son's surgery was successful! Old wive's tales die hard, and it was once thought that people with epilepsy were "possessed by demons". I guess that thinking only applies to dogs now.
Old August 29th, 2004, 07:15 PM

So this dog didnt have to be put to sleep? He could have been saved with medication?
Old August 29th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know all the details,but if he was epileptic,sure he could have been saved with meds.But it does not matter anymore,does it
Probably the simple fact he attacked his owner,was probably a deathsentence anyway,right?
Old August 29th, 2004, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
Epilepsy (not squeezed brains or possession) CAN cause aggression in any breed of dog and it sounds like that was the case in the dog you describe. Anti-seizure medication usually resolves this problem.
I once heard of a woman who owned 2 Cocker Spaniels. One of them had an epileptic seizure and attacked her. She had to undergo plastic surgery to reconstruct her face. I don't know what happened to her dog.

When Murphy had her seizures, the first thing the vet asked was "Did she bite anyone afterwards?" (no, she didn't). She said that, if Murphy had bitten anyone, she was bound by law to immediately put her down. Is that true here in Ontario?