Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 9th, 2010, 07:39 PM

Another poop eating thread

So I am not going to ask the same question everyone else asks about poop eating. I will first start by saying I clean the poop up 2x a day or immediately when I see it. My dogs are not lacking anything in their diet, yes I have tried additives like forbid and no....they are not bored. They are well exercised daily

It all started with a rescue dobe mix I had a few years back. She did not come from a very clean SPCA and learned to "clean up" after herself in her kennel at the shelter. When she came home she taught my lab/pointer to do this. The dobe is gone and a few months later my lab stopped eating her poo. Fastforward a year......the lab started eating her poo again around the time that we got our rotbox. Now she has passed this wonderful concept off to the puppy who does it. Let me point out however that we do our best to take away any opportunities possible, so it does not happen often but today my hubby was out cleaning it up (right after they went) and he put one bag down with it in it and walked over to the other pile and the rotbox ran over, grabbed the bag on the ground and gobbled it up. Granted this was his fault as he allowed this to happen but really???? Racing to eat the poo?

I am more ranting then anything as I know that there is not much else that can be done to stop this nasty habit but erggggg!!!! It is soooooo gross and I am trying SO HARD to go behind them and ALWAYS get it before they do! If someone finds a way to cure this habit for dogs all over the world let me know! Oh...and thanks for listening to my rant!
Old January 9th, 2010, 07:56 PM

Unhappy

If someone could find a cure for this, they sure would be rich! It's so frustrating isn't it? I have one dog who goes on spurts... won't do it for months and months and then suddenly I catch him chomping down! It's such a dirty habit too! And like your dog, he has an adequate diet, is not bored, etc.!

Short of being there to catch every one as its coming out of their butt, not much you can do!!

"Many of the Earth's habitats, animals, plants, insects, and even micro-organisms that we know as rare may not be known at all by future generations. We have the capability, and the responsibility. We must act before it is too late." - Dalai Lama
Old January 9th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

It sounds like you're pretty much on top of things.

The only thing I can suggest is that my fiance's aunt has a dog who will eat his poo if he is not fed at 4:00 on the dot.....even 10 minutes late and he's scrounging for poop in the yard.

So there could be a connection between mealtimes and backyard snacking.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old January 9th, 2010, 09:27 PM

I just let them out and they both went but then came to the door without eating it..Maybe because they are not frozen? I have seen her do it in the summer so my theory may have no basis but we noticed she started doing it about the time it started getting cold out again.....maybe it is just the "poopsicle" aspect (lets hope) but it still drives me nuts!
Old January 9th, 2010, 10:51 PM
You can call me DOG!

The Dog Whisperer had an episode on today about a dog that would eat EVERYTHING including poop.

Caesar focused one point of this segment on the poop eating and recognized to all that this is a very troublesome and gross behavior.

What he did is he brought the poop into the living quarters. During the taping, it was in his traveling trailer but he laid the poop down on the floor. Jodie (the pup), went to snatch up a piece then Caesar did his infamous "CHoo!" Backed her off the fecies then rewarded her with a piece of banana. He did this several times until she became more focused on the reward of not touching the poop rather than eating the poop!

I would think if you chose to bring poop inside and try this technique perhaps lay it onto a piece of papertowel or something then disinfect the area but hey...it may be worth a shot!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old January 9th, 2010, 11:41 PM

How did I miss that epi? I have been watching a Cesar marathon all night!!! I have tried that outside and they know the difference but if I am not there catching it come out they will sometimes do it and sometimes not. It is difficult to break the habit when there is no consistency to it. I am just going to have to make sure I am there on top of it all the time and if I don't get it in time then it is my fault for leaving it there to tempt them!
Old January 9th, 2010, 11:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We have two equal-opportunity poop eaters and one that will only eat her own. Although training the 'leave it' command is helpful, it only works if we happen to be out in the same yard and watching them. So the best solution we've come up with is to clean up the poop as soon as it's deposited...

And yes, we get those races happening, too. Sometimes I win the race , sometimes they do If they win, they don't get kisses as a reward, that's for sure.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."