Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 21st, 2011, 02:00 PM

Unhappy HELP! Our vet is stumpped !

Our 6.5 yrs old siberian husky has been very ill the past month. What started out as a mild limp in one front leg has progressed to him losing 10lbs, having severe lameness in a back leg and an on and off fever. He gets a bit better on Metronidazone, starts eating again and gains some mobility back, but as soon as he's done he crashes and is worse than before. Our vet has tested him for Addison's, Myathenia Gravis and Lyme Disease. Everything has come back negative. There is no swelling of his joints and he's had exrays and blood work. The exrays were fine and the blood work showed higher white blood count and lower magnesium. He's taking prednisone and Amoxil right now too. My heart is breaking for him and I wish we could find out what we're fighting. Any ideas from anyone, vet or otherwise would be sincerely appreciated.
Old September 21st, 2011, 03:53 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Mild lameness, occasional fever, lameness progressing and possibly rotating from limb to limb all sound very like one of the tick-borne diseases, sibermom14. Granted we have a lot more ticks here than are typical for Ontario, but I wonder if a course of doxycycline might not be in order? In addition to Lyme's disease, you also have to check for ehrlichiosis, anaplasmosis, and possibly even babesiosis or Rocky Mtn Spotted fever--those last two are emergent here. Also, it's possible to test negative for Lyme's disease and still have it.

We've also seen similar symptoms when our dogs have had leptospirosis.

If your vet is stumped, would he be willing to give you a referral to a veterinary teaching hospital near you? VTHs tend to see a lot of cases of diseases/conditions that regular vets don't normally see at all. We've always had good luck with referrals--the staff at the VTH has always been able to find the correct diagnosis.

I hope you get some answers soon and your dog gets better soon! Please keep us updated on how your husky is doing

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 2nd, 2011, 02:59 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with HRP. I would also either add doxycycline, or swap the amoxicillin for doxy, since doxy will hit most of the tick diseases and lepto.
Old November 12th, 2011, 03:47 PM

Have your vet refer you to a Neurologist if the blood work is coming back negative. If your vet cant help you he should definitely refer you to someone who can. In Ontario they really aren't any more expensive for a consult with a regular Vet. Can your vet do a phone consult with a Neurovet?