Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I hooked up 5 dogs today...

This was a first for me. I've so far only run 4 together but 5 was fun. It all went well, no big tangles or anything and Flurry got the hang of running in the middle all alone. He's previously never run in a team before, only paired up beside Lightning.

Here they are waiting to go

And out on my trail

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

A couple more shots

Oh, and here's one from this weekend of my daughter coming in to the finish in the Little Nippers class at the Marmora race

Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:37 PM

they all look great! Your daughter must have loved that.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 04:38 PM
-

Great pics and a beautiful sunny day to go with it

How did you and your daughter do this past weekend?
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That sure does look like fun!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:46 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Five dogs hooked up together for the first time would have been exciting and fun.did your daughter have fun and are the dogs wearing any kind of boot for protection?.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 05:48 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
That sure does look like fun!!!
Just think you could make a team of 8 up for lots of fun.or 2 teams of 4 for you and hubby to race each other.
Old February 3rd, 2009, 10:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by otis'mom View Post
they all look great! Your daughter must have loved that.
She does enjoy it and is looking forward to doing a bit more than just the kid & mutt classes. In a couple of weeks she's doing a 2-mile youth class with 2 dogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Great pics and a beautiful sunny day to go with it

How did you and your daughter do this past weekend?
Ummm...that's a bit tough to answer. It was a great experience, and lots of fun, but very painful. Bit of a long explanation. The dogs did great for their first 4-dog race, they ran well, passed the other teams head-on really well and I was super pleased with them. We had one problem on day 1 though, some snowmobiles got onto the race trail and followed me up to the turnaround loop. By the time I got around the loop one was stopped and blocking my way so it confused the dogs (who started to go around the loop again and then tangled up when I called out to them to turn back the other way) So it was frustrating and I lost time there. Day 2 was a little too mild, everyone's dogs ran slower but without incident. We ended up in 5th place, behind 4 well-seasoned racers, in fact the Jamaican entry came in 3rd and he has someone from the US hired to train him. So that was all great. I ended up very stiff and sore afterwards but that's not the painful part. (told you it was a long story). The painful part is that my daughter came in second, which is a great placing, but she was beaten by her own dog that I also loaned out to someone else. The race vet is an old school friend of mine and I let his kids use a couple of our dogs to enter. Lightning will run to me if I call him from the end, Thunder will do well but only if I run beside him so I said that I'd run once and one of them could take Thunder, but I wasn't running twice so the other kid could take a turn with Lightning and share him with my daughter. She's 4 years younger and lighter and darned if she didn't beat my daughter. I'm still getting to the painful part. First place wasn't a trophy, or a goody bag with toys and candy, or dog food or cash. It was a dogsled. A brand new dogsled. Still needing to be finished with varnish and have plastic put on the runners and a bridle. The very painful moral of the story is never lend out your best dog!!!I'm not sure whether to or Maybe both. The little girl was very happy though, she wants to put the sled in her room and keep her stuffed toys in it, since she doesn't have a dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeldogs View Post
Five dogs hooked up together for the first time would have been exciting and fun.did your daughter have fun and are the dogs wearing any kind of boot for protection?.
So far the dogs feet have been doing really well without needing any booties. If the snow is sticky Storm was getting some snowballs in his feet since his hair is longer, but I trimmed back the hair and he hasn't had a problem since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeldogs View Post
Just think you could make a team of 8 up for lots of fun.or 2 teams of 4 for you and hubby to race each other.
Don't count on it. He's not into this at all, he's never even been on one of my sleds. More likely it would be my daughter. She handled the 4-dog team the day we had the girl guides over and thought that was lots of fun. I think she'd like to race in the 4-dog class when she's older. We'd need more dogs though. Noah's not fast enough to keep up with the others, and in a couple of years he'll be getting up there in age, and Flash won't pull a sled even though he will skijor. I'm kind of hoping that maybe my daughter will pursue skijoring more, she can use one or two dogs to enter those classes so it would be perfect since we currently have 5 dogs in training and another pup that's not yet started.

I will hopefully soon have some pictures of my team racing up on my website, I'll post links when I do. Right now I don't have any I can share, I haven't yet seen the ones that some friends of mine took, and though I did receive a few from a photographer they are copyrighted so I don't think I can just go posting them anywhere.

Last edited by Gail P; February 3rd, 2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:46 AM

Your 5 dog team looks like they did quite well all together . Should help Flurry with his turn commands too, since he's following the lead not being jumped over & tugged

You'd think the snowmobilers would've figured out they shouldn't have been there at that time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail P View Post
Lightning will run to me if I call him from the end, Thunder will do well but only if I run beside him so I said that I'd run once and one of them could take Thunder, but I wasn't running twice so the other kid could take a turn with Lightning and share him with my daughter. She's 4 years younger and lighter and darned if she didn't beat my daughter. I'm still getting to the painful part. First place wasn't a trophy, or a goody bag with toys and candy, or dog food or cash. It was a dogsled. A brand new dogsled. Still needing to be finished with varnish and have plastic put on the runners and a bridle. The very painful moral of the story is never lend out your best dog!!!I'm not sure whether to or Maybe both. The little girl was very happy though, she wants to put the sled in her room and keep her stuffed toys in it, since she doesn't have a dog
Oh! :sad: how heartbreaking that just bites. I sure hope that little girl properly appreciates your kindness & what she got.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old February 4th, 2009, 11:15 AM
-

I got to the end and read the punchline that the little girl is going to keep her stuffed toys in the sled - OH NO tell me it ain't so ......I hope your daughter has forgiven you Gail for loaning out your best dog

My daughter will be sure to take plenty of pics when she is at Cannington, that way no "copyright"