Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 20th, 2013, 03:38 PM

Raw feeding with children at home?

Has been a while since I came by, but I have a dilema that pets.ca members may be able to help out with...

Our GSD has been raw fed for years now but with two little kids at home I am worried about the safety of raw feeding.... my oldest is 1.5 and now that she is on the same level as the dog I find that i tend to keep them seperated for a few hours after the morning feed (evening is not an issue as his meal is past her bed time). Now that baby#2 is here and my oldest is getting more active it is getting more challenging keeping the dog and kids seperated for a few hours each day, as well as ensuring that he doesn't lick their toys/things...

for those that raw feed and have kids... how do you keep everyone safe and happy? or is it time to switch from raw feeding to another food for the mornings?

Thanks!

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old April 20th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I think this article on raw fed dogs puts things nicely in perspective:

http://rawfed.com/myths/zoonotic.html

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 20th, 2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
I think this article on raw fed dogs puts things nicely in perspective:

http://rawfed.com/myths/zoonotic.html
Very good article sugarcatmom ... And I could not agree more with it, my kids are raw feed and always have kisses for everyone after a good meal and there has been no complaints... also think about it, when a dog is hurt the first thing they do is lick the wound, and it heals, so if it was not safe and full of bad bacteria then all these wounds would be infected. This is also thanks to the lysozyme enzyme.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old April 21st, 2013, 06:28 AM
banned user

Talking Masha

I may not have any children however, I have plenty nieces and nephews. All come over spend the nite both of my dogs are on raw food too. The kids have their toys and the dogs not interested both my boys have their own. The only thing they do is lick faces after kids have eaten which I promplty wash off the kids love it. When a couple of them were infants and I had two dogs one which is now an neither of my boys would do anything the whoops mistake toddler he would pull tail of both my boys and nada. I would not be concerned; this is a learning experience for your them everythings works out. All dogs understand the order of Alpha YOU!!!
Old April 21st, 2013, 06:32 AM
banned user

Talking True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jull View Post
Very good article sugarcatmom ... And I could not agree more with it, my kids are raw feed and always have kisses for everyone after a good meal and there has been no complaints... also think about it, when a dog is hurt the first thing they do is lick the wound, and it heals, so if it was not safe and full of bad bacteria then all these wounds would be infected. This is also thanks to the lysozyme enzyme.
I have trained my dog to lick mommy's booboo and he does
Old April 21st, 2013, 04:52 PM

great article! thank you!

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old April 22nd, 2013, 07:53 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

A very good article!

Something we should keep in mind is that RAW feeding is probably the most natural diet known to humankind and dogking. And the vast vast vast vast vast majority of our human and dog existence is based on eating Raw uncooked food.

A quick google search suggests that the taming of fire for human cooking is recent in evolutionary terms. (from 200,000 years ago to 1.7 million years ago)

Given the advances from then till now, with basic precautions, imo a raw diet is probably the healthiest diet for BOTH humans and dogs.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
A very good article!

Something we should keep in mind is that RAW feeding is probably the most natural diet known to humankind and dogking. And the vast vast vast vast vast majority of our human and dog existence is based on eating Raw uncooked food.

A quick google search suggests that the taming of fire for human cooking is recent in evolutionary terms. (from 200,000 years ago to 1.7 million years ago)

Given the advances from then till now, with basic precautions, imo a raw diet is probably the healthiest diet for BOTH humans and dogs.
I hate it if my chicken is undercook so there is no way I could eat raw chicken. I do eat a lot salads , I could see eating raw food if I was a vegetarian again.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 08:50 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Sushi, Steak tartar are just some of the meats that we humans eat RAW...we used to eat 100% of our meats RAw.... as dogs do when we feed them Raw or if they are feral and have access to meat.

But yeah... personally speaking, I hear you. I don't eat meat of any kind anymore, but when i did it was always well done.

My only point is that RAW meat and RAW food is likely the best diet out there for both dogs and humans. You just need to adhere to some basic precautions.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old April 22nd, 2013, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Sushi, Steak tartar are just some of the meats that we humans eat RAW...we used to eat 100% of our meats RAw.... as dogs do when we feed them Raw or if they are feral and have access to meat.

But yeah... personally speaking, I hear you. I don't eat meat of any kind anymore, but when i did it was always well done.

My only point is that RAW meat and RAW food is likely the best diet out there for both dogs and humans. You just need to adhere to some basic precautions.
If I where to feed my dog raw meat I think I would want to buy it from a real good butcher , and made sure it's really fresh. My dad brought all our meat from a butcher and we had it delivered to our house. The guy came one time and no one was home so he left the box of meat in a room with our 2 dogs.
When we got back home both our dogs where passed out on the floor with bellies full of prime meat! That was the only time they got raw meat. The ground beef was so good you could eat it raw, but this was years ago before food was being recalled . Food is just not the same today.
Old April 25th, 2013, 09:55 PM

Scruffy gets raw too, meat and bones. Just the look on his face when he dives into that lovely red meat (YUCK) tells me it's the right thing to feed him