Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old October 2nd, 2005, 04:05 PM

Question is there any american staffordshire terrior breaders/owners out there ?

hi everyone im asking around to see if there are any american stafforshire terrior breaders or owners out there ?. As ive just bought a boy and we have named him lenny and lenny is 16weeks old know, and i have been told by many people that there head cracks at a certain age thats how they get there heart shaped head can anyone tell me more and if true at what age dose this happen many thanks jo and lenny

Last edited by jo-anne; October 2nd, 2005 at 04:09 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
and i have been told by many people that there head cracks at a certain age
If their heads cracked, I don't think there would be too many of them around, would there?

No, their don't crack and their jaws don't lock!
Old October 2nd, 2005, 05:29 PM
-

They grow, look up a great dane pup and adult and see the difference.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 09:58 PM

I think the heart shaped head is from the way the muscles build up.. Not from the skull cracking. If you look at sad sad pictures of starved pitties, they don't have those.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 10:58 PM
cat slave

LOL that's so funny!
where do people get their sources from??? If you don't know don't assume! You look stupid giving away false information...cracking skull...lol

I'm no expert but most puppies as human babies look nothing like the adult, and they develop into that adult with time, no cracking of skulls, their skull just develops that way. To get this breed they crossed a terrier with a Bulldog. So most likely the shape comes from those two breed genes.

Old October 3rd, 2005, 01:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jo-anne
i have been told by many people that there head cracks at a certain age thats how they get there heart shaped head can anyone tell me more and if true at what age dose this happen many thanks jo and lenny
Welcome to the wonderful world of owning a pitbull and the ignorance of others! No, thier heads don't crack, thier brains don't swell, they don't go "bezerk" once they taste blood, and thier jaws don't lock. What they do do is anything to please thier owner, and they are loving dogs. Congratulations on choosing this wonderful breed!

If you go into the anti-BSL forum, there are lots of Staffy and American Pitbull owners.

And welcome to the board!
Old October 4th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

oh god I laughed and laughed... not at you jo-anne but the retards that told you this
Old November 13th, 2005, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

is there any american staffordshire terrior breeders/owners out there?

I don't own one, but a friend of mine does. Lindy is the sweetest, most patient dog ever. The children in the home are in junior high, were in grade school when they got Lindy so she's not around toddlers on a daily basis. Yet, I was there for a luncheon and there was a toddler who was intrigued by the dog. And she was pulling herself up on the dog, following it everywhere. Not leaving it alone for a minute. (I could go on about how I felt about that. Just because a dog is being patient doesn't mean it's fair to the dog !n And I feel that the guest shouldn't put the owner in the position of having to handle that. But that's another post !!) But that dog was wonderful about it.

I have another friend who has one of Lindy's puppies and he's a wonderful dog as well. I'm impressed with this breed.
Old November 13th, 2005, 09:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh please don't use that word, ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! I won't even type it but you know what I mean - I am not trying to be ultra pc or anything. It is just that I have fought all my life - even before becoming a co called adult - against the images and horrible words and phrases some people unwisely and due to lack of understanding use to describe their fellow humans. I know we sometimes type too quickly online but my God, it is the 21st century and I guess it surprises me that people with disabilities still face this issue on a daily basis. It just ruins my day when I see that word especially - and I know some may not care about that and I don't blame you - but it is like a slap in the face. It is as if all the work of organizations like the Assn for Community Living has been for nothing!! Just say the person is wrong and be done with it, arrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!

OK, that is my rant for the day - I wish I could say I feel better but why , when some words are barred from this site - and posts I have made that are not at all hateful have been disallowed for reasons I forget now (negative or something like that, I am not a morniong person so forgive me for forgetting the exact reason) but it is fine to term someone with an intellectual disability a hateful, horrible name? Something is very wrong with that!!

I have always advocated rreasoned rational discussion - and have gone off the tracks on a few occasions, admittedly since I am not perfect (no one is!) - but this must be the 4th time this word has been used in a pejorative way and it just irks me to no end - and speaks volumes about what we as a society think of the disabled. And as someone with a disability - not one that is an incapacitating as many but it still makes you see life in hopefully a more compassionate way - I feel like I am fighting a losing battle on this site. This site already is in violation of three different laws (one in the US, two in Canada - tho since it is not a govt agency or does biz with the govt, it prob does not matter in the legal sense tho it does matter to those ppl unable to use the site!) that I know of regarding disabilities and I know it is not illegal to use a term we once used (at a time when we were less knowledgable) to describe people with intellectual disabilities and I even know sometimes ppl post things too quickly without realizing what they;ve said or done but it frustrates the heck out of me. Either this site encourages respectfulness of everyone or it does not?

Anyway - sorry for the minor hijack but I cannot let the use of a word that to me is every but as evil as the n word or calling women words no longer acceptable. I do have a sense of humour and do not mind being poked fun at for being a Maritimer or being Irish or whatever but please, when you use that word, you laugh at someone with a disability and that is not at all amusing!!

k, I'm done!
Old November 13th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Fish Guru - Formerly sneakypete79

Just a thought,
but perhaps what the original owner was meaning,
though poorly described, was the way in which the
bones of the skull fuse and when.
In human children, the bones of the skull start to fuse around
1 year, and take until 7 years of age before the "soft spots"
close- though in some people this never happens.
Because dogs mature physically at a quicker rate, this happens
earlier, with the bones of the skull fusing around 6 months of age,
and the sutures closing completely around 1 year to 3 years of age.
The fusion of the bones must occur before muscle growth in the area
occurs, which is why pitties are often quite small looking in the head
area until they mature around 1 year to 18 months of age.
Old November 15th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow CK

Sorry I offended you, honestly thought the proper term was disability not retard. I never used that word to describe a disabled person rather it has always been mentally disabled or physically disabled. My family is NO stranger to mental illness and the mentally disabled. Cerebal palsy, Autism to mention the two major ones. If someone called my family members retarded I would be offended. But as I see it It was not in any context referring to the mentally disabled.
But in any case I apoligize that you were offended.

Just for the record it means more then the mentally disabled: Consider what i said to be more in the terms of # 2

re·tard 2 (rtärd)
n. Offensive Slang
1. Used as a disparaging term for a mentally retarded person.
2. A person considered to be foolish or socially inept.
Old November 16th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

I went to the mechanic the other day, and they told me that the problem was the time on my Jeep needed to be retarded. Well, I told them!!

It is currently in the shop having my timing mentally handicapped.

The word was around before it was used for mentally handicapped individuals, and certainly has many other connotations. As a matter of fact, I'd argue that today it is less associatied with mentally handicapped. I asked my nephew about it, he didn't associate retarded with mentally handicapped.

As offensive as the N word?? With all due respect, get a grip!! You're talking about a generic word with many meanings vs a word that is one thing only, racist.

I guess we could get Marko to filter out all permutations of retard. However, if we are going to do that, we'd better get him to add moron, stupid, dense, idiot and a few others. These, too, were words that were used, long before it was retarded. Of course, that'd just be ret...I mean stup...moroni...uh, dumb? Wait, I think that one's gone too.
Old November 16th, 2005, 11:54 PM

Sorry to hijack (sorry mods), but since we're on the topic of words, I use a word and a lot of people here use the same word and apparently in some places it's really offensive and I only found out last week. Seriously...

The word is bugger... To me it means "somebody who bugs". Right? Wrong. Look it up one day... Webster killed one of my favorite words. But should we still use it? If we all understand the meaning to be one thing, and the whole world sees another, who has to change?

Sometimes words need to change with the times and with the uses. While I agree that calling a mentally challenged individual retarded is very insensitive and wrong, using the word in reference to a person who is not mentally challenged can't be as bad, can it? Is it as bad as calling him an a******? Or a m***********? Or a s***** p**** o* m***** s***? You know? It's not being disrespectful to mentally challenged people or people with disabilities, it's being disrespectful of the person you're using it on. No?

That said, I never use that word, or any of the words under the stars.
Old November 17th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Words are tricky things and writing them down makes them even trickier because people put their own feelings into their meaning when they can't hear your tone.
Spending this kind of time & energy on someone's choice of words could be much better spent setting a shining example of your own choice of words - not tearing others down for a benign intent. I direct this statement to everyone not anyone special. We are all guilty of being quick to judge and we are all guilty of making a poor choice in our own behavior or actions.
I think the best you can do is mind your own words. Just try to make them sweet because someday you might have to eat them.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old November 17th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
The word is bugger...
As in "little buggers"? Heard that word a lot growing up, when we were little....buggers, that is.

Old November 17th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes bugger was like saying the F word in my house. I never understood why or what the meaning was.
Old November 17th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I never thought bugger was a bad word. I just thought it was the acceptable version to express being mad about something without offending someone. I say it all the time, hmm, maybe I should be dropping the f bomb instead!
Old November 17th, 2005, 04:55 PM

Maybe I am missing something , but I don't understand what is so bad about bugger.
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Old November 17th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Senior Contributor

The history of the meaning of the word is pretty vulgar....most people don't think of the actual meaning anymore. Its become a less vulgar word lately. Well thts my opinion anyway, but if you want to know what it actually means I don't think we can answer you on this site
Old November 17th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
The history of the meaning of the word is pretty vulgar
Yeah, if used as a verb, which none of the gentlefolk on this site would ever do.
Old November 18th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I always thought the word "bugger" came from the old crime of buggery?

Just looked up buggery. Oh my...
Old November 18th, 2005, 12:07 PM

I looked up Buggery....I get it now.
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Old November 18th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I looked it up to. I wasn't expecting that one.
Old November 18th, 2005, 12:38 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Oh my that is awful!! And to think, I call Copper that all of the time I think I've just erased that word from my vocabulary forever!!
Old November 20th, 2005, 10:53 PM

LOL for some reason this thread hasn't been in my new posts since I posted here last.. Sorry I posted and left you all hanging.. But why should we stop using it??? Just because back in the day it was horrible? Because the dictionary definition that nobody knows (except us, now) says it's bad? Now, to me it means "somebody who bugs" as in "somebody who annoys". No?? All I can say is, it's really hard to banish a word from your vocabulary, especially one you used very casually before.