Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old May 13th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG, I had no idea he was put down. There had to have been an alternative place for him, a group that would have taken him and helped with his aggression issues. I understand you wanting him out of your home, but I can't wrap my brain around having him put down.:sad:
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:08 PM
Owned by goldens

New puppy

Tina
I haven't participated in any of this thread or your other but I have been reading your posts. It is a shame that it came to having to put him down however I don't think there were other options. Most rescue groups will not take a dog that is a known biter. They can be held liable even if they disclose that the dog has bitten. Advertising on kiji isn't the best thing but unless someone has told you, how were you to know.

First and foremost you had to protect your child and I know I won't be popular for this but kids are unpredictable and no matter how much we tell them they will still do things that they are not supposed to do. Dogs that live with children must be stable and used to them otherwise it is a disaster waiting to happen.

One last comment on this subject. Having been involved in rescue for many years I have had to deal with a few aggressive dogs. The decision to not allow them to be adopted isn't easy. What we must remember is that for every aggressive dog there are many others that are not aggressive that need a home. Those are the ones we should concentrate on saving.
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle View Post
Tina
I haven't participated in any of this thread or your other but I have been reading your posts. It is a shame that it came to having to put him down however I don't think there were other options. Most rescue groups will not take a dog that is a known biter. They can be held liable even if they disclose that the dog has bitten. Advertising on kiji isn't the best thing but unless someone has told you, how were you to know.

First and foremost you had to protect your child and I know I won't be popular for this but kids are unpredictable and no matter how much we tell them they will still do things that they are not supposed to do. Dogs that live with children must be stable and used to them otherwise it is a disaster waiting to happen.

One last comment on this subject. Having been involved in rescue for many years I have had to deal with a few aggressive dogs. The decision to not allow them to be adopted isn't easy. What we must remember is that for every aggressive dog there are many others that are not aggressive that need a home. Those are the ones we should concentrate on saving.
I agree that kids come first, but I also believe parents HAVE to teach their kids to be respectfull of all animals, because they all have the potential to bite if mistreated!

Th OP was looking for a puppy long before she dealt with Skipper, she just wants a puppy, and had poor Skipper put down, before ever exhausting all avenues. and was looking for a puppy right away, I don't think she even cared or mourned for Skipper!

The kid is 10 years old, and was playing to rough with the dog according to
the OP. Our dog bit my brothers, when we were kids, but IMO and my parents(thank dog)they deserved it for being to rough and teasing her!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Okay, I must have skimmed the part the mentioned the child was 10. I thought it was a 3 or 4 year old!

UN-believable! I'm going to go and hug my kitties now.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old May 13th, 2008, 07:48 PM
Owned by goldens

New puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
I agree that kids come first, but I also believe parents HAVE to teach their kids to be respectfull of all animals, because they all have the potential to bite if mistreated!

Th OP was looking for a puppy long before she dealt with Skipper, she just wants a puppy, and had poor Skipper put down, before ever exhausting all avenues. and was looking for a puppy right away, I don't think she even cared or mourned for Skipper!

the OP. Our dog bit my brothers, when we were kids, but IMO and my parents(thank dog)they deserved it for being to rough and teasing her!
I agree that children should be educated and should be supervised but realistically this is not always possible. I have an aggressive dog and have been bitten by her. The bite came out of the blue while I was petting her. I accidentally touched her tail and she snapped. Before that she bit my nephews girlfriend on the cheek, again for no reason that we could figure out. The last time she bit I was walking her and a neighbor who she knew, reached out to pet her and she bit. I don't have young kids so keeping her is not a problem and we have been able to work through some of her issues but I will never be able to trust her.
I don't think the original poster should get another dog right now. She needs to be on her own, and as mentioned not dependant on her grandmother.
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:04 PM
-

Quote:

the OP.
I agree 100%.
Old May 13th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

ENDURE!!! you didn't have t endure anything!!!!! your poor dog Skipper did!! poor skipper, I feel sorry that he had you for an owner and is now DEAD thanks to you!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

Old May 13th, 2008, 08:12 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I feel so sorry for your new puppy!!

Old May 13th, 2008, 08:17 PM
-

Quote:
I feel so sorry for your new puppy!!
My thoughts exactly :sad:
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Doggie Wench

Not that it matters now, but I'm the Mom of an 11 year old who used to pretend wrestle with Penny. I found it annoying and I was sure she would too. I had told him to knock it off and explained the consequences to him if he didn't. Well, there was a day that they were on his bed and he leaned on her with his elbow and she met him with a growl. She was banned from the bed for about a month, and he was banned from tv, videogames, and the computer for 2 months. This happened a year ago and such an incident has never repeated itself. I'm sorry, but as a parent, one is responsible for teaching their children to respect the family's pets. It's our job to get the message across and it's our job to protect our children....by protecting our pets.
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:48 PM

I feel so bad by skipper's sad fate. We went through almost same ordeal with our first dog Butter(Lab mix). He bite my daughter on the face, we sent him to the 10-day quarantine, the animal control said he they would arrange a rescue for him. But when we called several days later, they said they were going to put him down. We begged them to find a rescue for him, the manager( a lady) evetually gave in, Butter was rehomed to a childless family through a rescuer(also a lady). The couple fell in love with him within hours...
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaMcq View Post
Ty Beaglemom..... I don't know how we got on the topic of Skipper when i just had a simple question about an ad? It was something about having its first shots but not vet checked and I didn't understand how it could get its first shots without being vet checked that's it. I am not getting a new puppy right now I was just looking at the ads....
Quote:
My son was in the room with my grandmother all three were watching TV, my son never provoked the dog. I just feel that if Skipper has bitten once he can do it again?
Quote:
I have talked to my son and he admitted he was afraid but not that afraid and I am in the room with my son and dog and I am correcting what he is doing wrong (my son) its nothing bad he is just a boy who wants to play with a dog, I explained again because of Skippers past we cannot play rough because he is scared and feels he has to protect himself.
I just wanted to pull these quotes to point out a couple of things to those who are being needlessly judgemental -

1) She specifically said she is not getting a new puppy. So no need to "feel sorry for her new puppy". Hopefully she will learn from this and prepare herself next time.
2) Her son did not provoke the dog. It said in another post that Skipper also bit her sister in law or something when another dog (also not provoking) came near.
3) She DID talk to her son, she wasn't just letting him run wild with a vicious dog.

Happycats - I ordinarily really like your posts, but IMHO I think you were quite cruel. "I feel sorry that he had you for an owner and is now DEAD thanks to you!!" You also mentioned that you didn't think she cared for Skipper at all - if you'd read her multiple threads asking for our help with him when he first became troublesome months ago, you'd know that she did everything she knew how to help him. She may have been inexperienced with dogs, but she adopted an aged and abused one, and tried really hard, which is more than the average person would do - WE ALL KNOW THAT. And as for mourning - everyone mourns in different ways. How are you to know that she isn't mourning when all you know of her is through a few posts on a forum?

I'm sorry. I don't mean to be offensive or judgemental - but I've been following Tina's posts from since she got Skipper and I know she's tried. I doubt she'll be returning to this forum if and when the time comes for her to try again.
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

She did get another puppy and posted it here!

Yes I will admit that we got a puppy and I know its alot more work but we can teach him right from the beginning and we can socialize him right from the beginning we don't have him yet but will be soon getting him. I have talked and talked with my son we go over that site. I know its early I wasen't planning on getting this soon but it happened.

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 14th, 2008, 07:43 AM

Oh My.

Sorry, Happycats! I guess she's jumping in after all. But my other opinions still stand - Let's hope she has better luck training this one, for the sake of the dog.

I haven't found her post yet about the new one - I'll certainly be following that - and definitely won't be the first to defend if this puppy has the same fate.
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:36 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaekitty View Post
I just wanted to pull these quotes to point out a couple of things to those who are being needlessly judgemental -

1) She specifically said she is not getting a new puppy. So no need to "feel sorry for her new puppy". Hopefully she will learn from this and prepare herself next time.
2) Her son did not provoke the dog. It said in another post that Skipper also bit her sister in law or something when another dog (also not provoking) came near.
3) She DID talk to her son, she wasn't just letting him run wild with a vicious dog.

Happycats - I ordinarily really like your posts, but IMHO I think you were quite cruel. "I feel sorry that he had you for an owner and is now DEAD thanks to you!!" You also mentioned that you didn't think she cared for Skipper at all - if you'd read her multiple threads asking for our help with him when he first became troublesome months ago, you'd know that she did everything she knew how to help him. She may have been inexperienced with dogs, but she adopted an aged and abused one, and tried really hard, which is more than the average person would do - WE ALL KNOW THAT. And as for mourning - everyone mourns in different ways. How are you to know that she isn't mourning when all you know of her is through a few posts on a forum?

I'm sorry. I don't mean to be offensive or judgemental - but I've been following Tina's posts from since she got Skipper and I know she's tried. I doubt she'll be returning to this forum if and when the time comes for her to try again.
danaekitty - Where did you get the idea that Skipper was an AGED dog? He was 15 months old. Hardly aged.
I am aware that there are some dogs that can not be changed from what they are regardless of the effort put in by owners. I am also aware that every time I offered my opinion on this subject from the start of her ownership of Skipper it was met with excuses as to why she couldn't do the things I suggested. I am quite sure it was the same with others. I tried to help her too. No more! I DO feel sorry for the new puppy. I have a feeling it will suffer the same fate. I just hope she gets help before it's too late for this one. :sad:

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
danaekitty - Where did you get the idea that Skipper was an AGED dog? He was 15 months old. Hardly aged.
I am aware that there are some dogs that can not be changed from what they are regardless of the effort put in by owners. I am also aware that every time I offered my opinion on this subject from the start of her ownership of Skipper it was met with excuses as to why she couldn't do the things I suggested. I am quite sure it was the same with others. I tried to help her too. No more! I DO feel sorry for the new puppy. I have a feeling it will suffer the same fate. I just hope she gets help before it's too late for this one. :sad:
14+ - I guess I assumed, since the dog was kind of crotchety like an old man - you know what they say about assuming, oops! I totally agree with the fact that she should not have gotten another puppy - don't get me wrong. She's clearly not ready, and I don't blame you for giving up on her. Frankly, I find it strange that she would have the guts to admit to us that she got a new pup. I really thought I had good reason to defend her - I guess there's two sides to every story, and there's definitely hunk of this one that are being left out.
Old May 14th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Yes skipper was only 15 months old, her son is 10 years old and should know better, and she bought a puppy off kijiji (off some BYB) while she was trying to dump Skipper!!, she lives with her grandmother. getting a new puppy is completely wrong, as she doesn't even live on her own, and can't teach her kid how to treat animals.

Sorry if I'm harsh but I think this puppy has a horrible future in store for it, and someone else had to post a RIP thread for poor skipper, while she posted threads about how much will her new freakin puppy weigh!!!

Old May 14th, 2008, 01:21 PM

I find that odd? Obviously, things do vary but i know any pet i have taken to the vet for the "baby" shots they have done a wellness check on as well.

Also the will refund monies etc bit, depends i know from breeders i have gotten health guarantees.. but it's all in writing and such.. done in a proper contract manner.

Quote:
Hi just a question when getting a new puppy when they get there first shots are they not vet checked to? Cause this one ad said first shots but not vet checked and they will refund any money if the vet shows they have medical problems that will cost the new owners more money?
Old May 14th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,I totally missed this post,had no idea Skipper was killed,poor missunderstood llittle pup
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:39 PM

I have asked the admin to close this thread because no one understood the question everyone is off topic and insulting. I am not going anywhere and I don't care if people answere or not. Is there a rule that if someone give you advice you have to follow it? Honestly this is way off topic and if you can't answere the question then don't reply its not hard.
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:42 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
I have asked the admin to close this thread because no one understood the question everyone is off topic and insulting. I am not going anywhere and I don't care if people answere or not. Is there a rule that if someone give you advice you have to follow it? Honestly this is way off topic and if you can't answere the question then don't reply its not hard.
OMG, similar to if you don't know a friggen thing about animals, DON"T get one then kill it. I stayed out of this for the longest time but seriously are you really that obtuse. No you don't have to follow the others advice, you do need to learn that animals are living creatures that need our help, if you are incapable of that then leave it to those that can.
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:49 PM
-

Quote:
You never give up now do you ? If only you had put that much effort with Skipper
Old May 14th, 2008, 08:52 PM
Garden nut

Well many of you have had your say on this matter and yes it's perhaps best if the thread is closed.

People wouldn't grow and learn if they didn't make mistakes from time to time. Perhaps there was a big lesson in this for Tina. If she doesn't "get it," well then it's her problem and no one else's.

To Tina, you should really do some soul searching and ponder exactly why you want a dog and what you expect out of having a dog. What does a dog represent to you and why do you feel a dog would fulfill a part of your life? What is missing in your life? Maybe there are other ways to fill the void. It's not really fair to expect another living creature to fill voids in your life that you should be filling for yourself, from within.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old May 14th, 2008, 09:30 PM

So true CearaQC. I do see what your saying I thought having a dog would benefit both me and my son, my grandma is alone all day so I thought it would be company for her as well. I didn't get a dog for any reason except to love. I see what others are saying its not that I don't agree with is being said however my situation was my situation. What else can I say I am done here.
Old May 15th, 2008, 06:09 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

It's sad how you keep posting in these 2 threads!! I have yet to see you post in the RIP Skipper thread !!!!
How freakin sad!!

Old May 15th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

This thread has run its course and will now be closed.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Closed Thread