Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 15th, 2008, 09:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Neighbor's male lab can't urinate

A neighbor just stopped by to ask my advice, but I have no experience with this.

As far as he knows, his 8-yr-old black lab, Max, has not peed all day. Max is now whiney and pacing and straining to pee when he goes out, but has had no luck. The neighbor has called the vet twice now--once at 2 or 3 this afternoon and once again at 6. The first time the vet said to just keep an eye on him and if he wasn't peeing by tomorrow, to bring him in. At 6 the vet told him to bring him in at 7:30 tomorrow morning.

Does that seem right to anyone? I know in cats this would be a life-threatening situation--anyone know if it is in dogs?

Btw, I told him to call another vet for a second opinion on whether it can wait till morning...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 15th, 2008, 09:37 PM
-

Hazel, here is my magic taser that will shock the sense into that Vet.

I hope the dog has either passed the stone or your friend has found a sensible Vet. It can't wait until morning...
Old December 15th, 2008, 09:42 PM
-

I wouldn't think this could wait either. He has a blockage , ouch :sad:
Old December 15th, 2008, 09:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

So it isn't just me who thought that vet was a little 'off' in his advice?

Thanks, MMM!!!!

Okay, I'm gonna go call the neighbor and throw another log on the fire... If he hasn't found someone, I'll have him call our vet's 24/7 number and let them tell him...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 15th, 2008, 09:57 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Can you tell it went well.

Second vet told him that without actually examining the dog, she couldn't really tell how much of an emergency it was. Half of her felt that he should bring Max in, her other half said it was okay to wait...sigh.

Called the original vet, who offered to come in if necessary, but it sounds like he's going to try to wait it out till morning....

I'm going to try not to lose sleep over this one....but it's gonna be hard...

Old December 15th, 2008, 10:02 PM
-

Hazel , let's put it this way , if he was an outside dog , the owner wouldn't have noticed this. I'm sure outside dogs get this problem and are not looking at by a vet asap . So although it's not an ideal situation , I don't think 12 hours would give this dog too much kidney problem.
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

According to his owner, though, he probably hasn't peed all day...and he went out the first time this morning at about 5:30. So even if he peed the night before...say at 10 pm...it will have been over 30 hours... Poor Max!

Old December 15th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh poor puppy. :sad:

I sure hope the vet is absolutely first priority for them in the am... if they wait that long. for Max
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:21 PM
-

:sad: :sad:
Old December 15th, 2008, 10:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

...they have a 7:30 appt set up...before the clinic opens.

Old December 15th, 2008, 10:54 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
...they have a 7:30 appt set up...before the clinic opens.
I'm sure it will be ok Hazel , try to not worry too much ok ?
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Thanks, Frenchy...doin' my best not to worry... I'm not too good at it, though...

Old December 15th, 2008, 11:36 PM
-

Hazel you've done the best you can and that's all we can do.

(okay, I know you and I would be very happy to grab the Vet by their scrawny neck, force a marble way up into... nah, I ain't gonna say that ).

Blooming beggars though ~ do you know they actually tell men that passing a stone is akin to childbirth? While physiologically there's not a chance in hades that's true you would at least think that might give them pause...

Let us know how the poor little guy makes out. I'm not sure how much you know about stones but it needs to be analyzed as dietary changes may be needed.
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Can steroids cause stone formation? Max has Addison's and is on daily pred.

Old December 16th, 2008, 12:14 AM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

I doubt his steroids are the cause, but he really needs a rad to see if there are stones in his bladder and a catheter., not to mention a urine sample and probably iv fluids by now.
I am sure he has peed some unnoticed outside or this would be an emergency by now given the time length.
As an Addison dog I'm sure your neighbor has prednisone on hand. They may want to ask the vet prior to taking him in if he should be dosed. Stress can be tough on an Addisonian, especially if there is any procedures such as sedation & catheter being inserted.
Old December 16th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Live well, laugh often

Hoping he will be ok .
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:37 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

On vet's advice at about 9, Max was given some tramadol on the chance that a stone was causing pain and the delay of urination. He was able to do a little dribbling about midnight, and managed a very weak stream at 2 or 3 in the morning. He's currrently at the vet for catheterization and xrays, with urine samples to be analyzed and sent out for culture. He'll be there for the day...not sure yet if he'll need to stay tonight.

Poor baby :sad: But at least he's finally in at the vet and being taken care of. I just wish it were a different vet....I really don't like this guy....never have. Don't trust his judgment, don't like his ethics, and I've see the results of some of his surgeries...

Old December 16th, 2008, 11:02 AM
Doggie Wench

I'm glad Max is at least getting some treatment. He'll be all better soon.
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:36 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

He's had a hard time of it in 2008. He was diagnosed with Addisons, broke his pelvis and ultimately needed surgery for that, stretched some ligaments in his left front paw and is still in a splint for that, and now this urinary tract thing. :sad: Poor Max. He needs a much better 2009!