Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:20 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I hope you get some answers

Please don't give up too easily on him. There is a member on this board named Swaysbodyguard, it is a touching story of a man who loves his dog so much and never gave up on her even when some of us thought there was no hope.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42910

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 3rd, 2008, 01:54 PM
-

My thoughts and prayers are with you, Constance.

Sending lots of good wishes for Beaver.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 08:41 PM

Thanks again everyone for all the well wishes and 's that you've given us.

The visit to the doctor went ok. I took all his paper work with me and it seems he has a few indicators saying he may have FIP, but he said that it's not certain that he does. He believes he's definitely got Toxo, but it said it was odd for him to not respond to the Clindamycin.

He had a fever of 104.6 so they gave him some fluids to bring that down and added some Vitamin B to the fluids to give him a boost. During the drive home would could tell a difference in him already. He demanded to be let out of the carrier, so we did and he rode in the back glass of the car watching the trees go by. He seemed to really enjoy the ride and was having a good time, so my husband and myself both agreed that if things don't keep taking a turn for the better, that at least we know we did all we could and he had an adventure today that he seemed to enjoy.

The doctor was really nice to him, treated him like a little person and even talked to him more than he talked to us... which we really liked.

Anyway, we decided to start him up again on the Clindamycin but this time we're starting with a smaller dose of only 25mg three times a day in stead of 75mg twice a day. He said he may have had a bad reaction last time to the Clindamycin because he may have had a fever and we didn't realize it. So we're gonna check his temp now and then and if he developes a fever we'll be giving him a baby aspirin, but only once a week for that. So if it continues we'll see about getting him some fluids to bring it down. But, if he takes a bad turn for the worse again, we're gonna have to let him go. We've talked about it and feel good about it because we just had to say goodbye to one of our others almost 2 years ago and we know he'll be there waiting to take care of Beaver.

Ok, I gotta stop talkin about it before I upset myself.

Again, thanks to you all for everything and now that we basically have Beaver's situation settled, I'm hoping to check out a little more of your board here and get to know you all a bit better.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 10:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm glad he seemed to enjoy his outing. that the lower dose of Clindamycin works for Beaver.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 4th, 2008, 12:42 AM

the lower dose works well for Beaver

Riding out free in the back of the car is what my girl prefers as well, so I'm glad to hear that improvement in Beaver already - he was active in his surroundings

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 4th, 2008, 12:59 AM
-

I hope the reduced dose of Clindamycin works for Beaver as well.
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:48 AM
Senior Contributor

i hope the lower dose works as well. Hope things work. You'll be in my prayers.

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old July 6th, 2008, 02:54 PM

He's gone. :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:
Old July 6th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh no!! I'm so sorry. little Beaver.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 6th, 2008, 04:13 PM
-

Constance, I am so sorry to hear about Beaver. :sad: My deepest condolences to you for your loss.

Beaver
Old July 6th, 2008, 09:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry for your loss, Constance. You're in my thoughts during this difficult time.

Beaver

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 7th, 2008, 11:35 PM

Constance :sad: I'm so sorry

sweet Beaver

Please know Beaver is running free and healthy at The Rainbow Bridge with all those who went before him

Old July 11th, 2008, 02:29 PM

Thanks everyone for all the well wishes and 's.

Sorry my post about him being gone was so brief, but at the time it was all I could manage. Today I can finally give a little more information about how he left us.

Saturday he started having seizures, which were very short, only lasting a few seconds, but they were still seizures. Afterwards he'd be very scared and would need to be calmed down and his health was in a steady decline. So Saturday we stopped the Clindamycin and only gave him his Clavamox to help him rest well through the night since it has seemed to make him feel a bit better. Then we decided to make the call Sunday morning to our doc and let him go.

Sunday morning I woke him up and he was ready to have something eat, but he never really managed to eat much. I gave him all the juice from one can of Fancy Feast, which he only managed to eat about half of, but he enjoyed it and that was what mattered.

We paged the doctor and waited for him to call us back. Around an hour later, about 9am, he called and said he could meet us in 25 minutes. Of course that's when my husband and myself realized this was it, it was really time to say goodbye to our little man. Needless to say, the tears started up for the beginning of what would be a very long day.

I had this blue fleece type shirt that I wore every winter, one that Beaver just absolutely loved! Whenever I put it on, he'd be on me like a magnet fluffing it up, purring and almost sucking on it. So I dug that out and wrapped him in it. Time it was around his little body I could hear a very faint purr, something he hadn't done in at least a week or so. We got a box and his sweater and headed to the doctors office with him wrapped in my blue shirt and in my arms.

We got to the office and went inside where we talked to him, hugged him and told him what a wonderful guy he is and how much we love him. Then it was over and he was gone. Finally not having to fight for each day that came along. We put him in the box, still wrapped in my blue shirt and stuck his little sweater in there with him. His sweater was something he didn't really like, but he tolerated for us because we thought he looked so cute in it. He was just easy going like that and would do anything for us. We never left it on him long, just a few minutes when I would take him outside so it was easier to hold onto him and not enable him to slide out of his halter.

Anyway, after it was over, we drove to my parents house out in the country where he was buried beneath some big trees in a clearing by a swing. My Mom is going to plant some pretty flowering bushes around him and we're going to get a big rock to put out there to mark his place. It's somewhere we'll know his at, somewhere for us to go visit and just a great place for him because he really loved his "Granny and Grandpa", just as he was loved by them.

We went home afterward and yea, more tears were flowing throughout the day. We weren't crying because of what we had to do, we knew and know it was the right thing. The doctor said seizures was a sign it had moved to his brain. We were crying because we missed the little guy and it just didn't feel right with him not being here with us. He's just everywhere we look, he was so much a part of our lives. With us both working from home, we saw him all the time and everywhere, it will be quite awhile before we're used to him not being around.

His best buddy, ButterBean, the orange and white one in my avatar pic with Beaver, is missing him as well. But we spend a lot of time with him so he doesn't go into a depression. I think one good thing about Beaver being sick for awhile instead of just being gone suddenly, was the fact that ButterBean got a chance to get used to him not being around to play with and hang out with him as he always had. He seems to be doing ok, though he does get in my lap a bit more than he did when Beaver was around.

So it's over now, he doesn't have to fight any longer. He was so brave throughout it all though, fighting hard and putting up with so many needles and doctors and drugs. He's finally himself again.

I'd like to post some pictures of him if anyone is interested.

And again, thanks for all the help, support and words of encouragement and understanding from each and everyone of you. Yall are the best.
Old July 11th, 2008, 02:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

We'd love to see some pictures of Beaver, Constance! And some of his buddy, ButterBean, too.

Maybe start a thread in the photo forum or in the remembrance forum for pets that have passed to the Bridge?

I'm so glad you came back. I hope things have gotten a little easier for you since your last visit.

Old July 11th, 2008, 02:42 PM
-

Yes, I agree, we'd love to see some pics. I think a tribute in the rainbow bridge forum would be a good idea.
Old July 12th, 2008, 01:41 AM

Old July 13th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so sorry he didn't recover. Would love to see pictures of him.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey