Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 9th, 2004, 08:51 AM

skin infection under eye(shih tzu)

Hello,
I can't believe how helpful this board has been to me! I'm going to try again.
My shih tzu Frodo, 2yrs old, has what appears to be a swollen piece of skin just under his eye and adjacent to the top of his nose. It looks red but it's really hard to tell if there is pus or infection because of the hair! I thought I solved the problem last week when I carefully cleaned the area with alcohol and put polysporin on it a few times but after bathing him last night, I noticed it again.
There are two reasons I can think of:
1) Another shih tzu snapped at him, in the face, before I noticed any of this. It could be that he made contact and now the little tear is having problems healing, esp with the constantly drippy eyes.
2) Possibly what is known as a 'hot spot'? I don't know anything about 'hot spots' ...but I do want to know that I can help treat this and prevent it from getting worse.
Ps...I didn't even have to post here last time he got ill and lethargic...I went straight to the vet's. ;-) Therefore, you will surmise that I treat what I think is reasonable and take him to the vet for more serious things.
Thank you so much for anyone who can shed some light.
Susan
Old October 9th, 2004, 08:57 AM

do not use alcohol for hot spot

Probably already obvious to all of you. sigh...I just read it. The thing is...what if it's an infection and not a hotspot?
Sue
Old October 9th, 2004, 12:34 PM
Senior Contributor

The area must be shaved, so you can see what it is, clean it up and allow it to dry.

Is it oozing, itchy, painful? Has the lesion increased in size? Hot spots can grow very quickly and are intensely itchy and painful for the dog. I have no idea if hot spots are seen in this area, though.

If another dog bit him, it could be an abcess and infection, which would be dangerous in that area and need to be seen by the vet, for flushing and appropriate medication.

If he has had this lesion for over a week with no improvement, I really think he should see the vet.
Old October 9th, 2004, 01:03 PM

I would agree...

...except it seemed that it was better. I didn't see any evidence at all of infection or even redness after I 'treated' it a few times with the h.p. and polysporin. It seemed to have disappeared. Now it seems to be back. I went out and bought boric acid and am going to use that to gently clean the area and snip as much hair away as I possibly can. I'll get a better grasp then. It doesn't seem to be increasing in size and it's kind of hard to tell if it's itching him. He's not displaying any behavior to indicate this...as in rubbing his face on the ground etc.
I'm going to pay close attention and see if it goes down again after using the boric acid.
Sue