Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old May 11th, 2008, 09:38 PM

Question What to supplement so my 4-month old puts on weight?

I have 2 dobermans, 1 will be 1 year old in 2 weeks and the other just turned 4 months old. We were living in the city where all kibble was easily available, but just moved to the country where not all dog food can be bought.

We were on Orijen in the city, but up north we couldnt find and switch to EVO, but decided that since we would be returning to the city every couple of weeks to buy it there, and we just switched back to the Orijen.

The older dobe is perfect shape and size, but the younger one is skinny. He will definatly be bigger than my first, and i have notcied that he is growing very fast (he is also really energetic). I have started to add cottage cheese to his breakfast and a tiny bit of bacon fat to his supper.

I just remember that my older dobe never had a problem putting on weight (my last vet actually told me he was close to being obese!), and i'm just a little flustered as to what to do to put some weight on the little guy.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! thank you!
Old May 11th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Swift Tribe

whats your vet say about the 4mo old??

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old May 11th, 2008, 09:52 PM

he is due to go back for some vaccines, so i will ask the vet to do a blood test - last time he was skinny (not as much though), and they said to just try to feed him more. i never had this problem when the other one was this young, i have been around animals all my life (dogs, cats, and horses), and we usually didnt solve a weight issue with 'more food'...usually had to do with something else.
Old May 11th, 2008, 09:58 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Parasites can impact a dog's weight. Perhaps when he goes in for his shots you should bring in a stool sample, as well.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 12th, 2008, 05:46 AM

he had been dewormed, so i hope it is nothing too serious if it might be a parasite problem i will bring the vet a 'puppy muffin' when we go
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Owned by Saints

Bubba, my male Saint will not keep weight on if he's just fed Orijen or any grain free food for that matter. He needs the carbs to maintain weight. You can either add carbs yourself to the Orijen (rice, pasta.. whatever) or just mix in some 'with grain' kibble. I use Acana since it's made by the same company as Orijen (Champion pet foods) I do half Orijen half Acana. Since adding the Acana he's putting back on the weight he lost and no longer looks like I starve him. Thank god.. I was getting so tired of the 'comments'.

Meanwhile Lola our other Saint got a little chubby on Orijen.

Definitely rule out the parasite problem first. But it does sound similar to what was going on with Bubba. Some dogs just don't do well on the grain free foods.