Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 19th, 2010, 06:34 AM

Question Greenies Treats and loose stool

Well after everything being good with Mickeys loose stool problem for just over a week he had another one this morning.Not too much but it was loose again He had 2 or 3 Greenies treats yesterday and was just wondering if anyone has had any issues with these before.I used to give the Temptations but thought I was doing the right thing by changing the brand. I believe he had 2 yesterday and 1 this morning.

Could that be the new cause of his tummy upset or am I starting all over again ?
Old October 19th, 2010, 06:43 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Jasper can't eat a bit of corn, he will have the stinkiest of stools and very, very loose . The only treats he can eat are the "Now" by peturcan:

http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=166 and he loves them

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 19th, 2010, 06:51 AM

Oh good so maybe it was the introduction of these treats that has started this issue again.I bought them a couple weeks ago but he still had his loose stool problem then and I had only given him one or two then stopped completely.
I really hope thats all it is.Did Jasper have that problem with Greenies specifically?
Old October 19th, 2010, 08:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Try some high end grain free treats. They go a long way.
Old October 19th, 2010, 08:22 AM

I'll give that a try Marty.For right now I think I'll refrain from any treats at all.I'm still working on transitioning them to wet food completely and they still see the wet food as a treat Although Gigi has woken me up at 4 am trying to get her "breakfast" that can not continue...I'm exhausted!!!! She uses my husbands stomach as a springboard and slaps me across the face

Do Greenies have alot of grain?
Old October 19th, 2010, 08:25 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmomma View Post
Oh good so maybe it was the introduction of these treats that has started this issue again.I bought them a couple weeks ago but he still had his loose stool problem then and I had only given him one or two then stopped completely.
I really hope thats all it is.Did Jasper have that problem with Greenies specifically?
No, with kibble that had corn in it. He would also scratch at his face to the point of bleeding, then we switched him to orijen, which help with the itchies and he stools weren't too bad, but then switched to all canned/raw and now he barely stinks and has nice stools

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 19th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmomma View Post
I'll give that a try Marty.For right now I think I'll refrain from any treats at all.I'm still working on transitioning them to wet food completely and they still see the wet food as a treat Although Gigi has woken me up at 4 am trying to get her "breakfast" that can not continue...I'm exhausted!!!! She uses my husbands stomach as a springboard and slaps me across the face

Do Greenies have alot of grain?
Oh yes:

From http://www.greenies.com/en_CA/Produc...eGreenies.aspx

OVEN ROASTED CHICKEN FLAVOUR
Chicken Meal, Ground Brewers Rice, Ground Wheat, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry Fat (Preserved With Mixed Tocopherols), Sprayed Dried Hydrolyzed Chicken Protein Concentrate, Oat Fiber, Natural Chicken flavour, Vegetable Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Poultry and Fish flavour, Sodium Gluconate, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Calcium Carbonate

"Now" treats: http://www.petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=166

INGREDIENTS

De-boned turkey, potato flour, pea, potato, pea fibre, whole dried egg, tomato, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), flaxseed, natural flavor, coconut oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of vitamin E), salmon, de-boned duck, apple, carrots, pumpkin, bananas, blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, papaya, pineapple, grapefruit, lentil beans, broccoli, spinach, cottage cheese, alfalfa sprouts, dicalcium phosphate, sundried alfalfa, calcium carbonate,

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old October 19th, 2010, 09:42 AM

Wow!!!!!! And here I was thinking I was doing a better thing for them,since they were having Temptations before.

I really hope that it's just the treats that caused this episode.He had his probiotics this morning so hopefully everything will correct it self during the day.

So are the Temptations actually better than the Greenies??
Old October 19th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am pretty sure Temptations are corn filled. I don't buy them anymore due to Jasper's issue.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old October 19th, 2010, 11:47 AM

Well thank you so much for the info.I have removed ALL treats for the time being to see if that resolves the issue.So far there have been no extra visits to the litter box,other than the one time this morning. I'm keeping my that this will help.