Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 27th, 2008, 08:14 PM

Exclamation Cat problem, jumping on night stand

HELP! not sure if Im in the right spot.
I have two cats , brother and sister, and we have a problem with the sister, she is the bold one!
They are about 2 years old, and lately we have had to kick the cats out of the bed room at night because the female has taken to getting up on my wife's nightstand and pushes stuff off, this only happens during the day shes all sweet and cuddly, any suggestions? Water spray dosent seam to help.
Thanks!
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Senior Contributor

You could try putting tinfoil or Sticky Paws on the night stand to discourage her. Or take everything off the night stand for a while so that it's less entertaining.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:44 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Cats are nocturnal. They like to play at night, not sleep. She is probably bored and looking for something to do. If it's keeping her beloved owners awake all the better. They will play with her then!!
Make sure she has lots of toys around. Don't let her have them during the day but give them to her at night so it's like a brand new thing. Clear the night table too, of course. It may take a while for her to get the idea that she is supposed to play with her toys, not her owners stuff! I don't know if this will work but worth a try?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 28th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Sounds like a normal kitty thing to do, especially when they are bored. I would do as sugarcatmom and 14+ has stated, take the items off the night stand for a while.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 28th, 2008, 06:58 AM
Senior Contributor

I chuckled a little reading this,my Chico does exactly the same,but since he likes to e on my nightstand(high dresser),I put what's on the dresser in the drawer at night.
Your kitty is not being bad,she knows making noise will get your attention.
You can train a kitty not to do things,but it's probably not something you're up to when you are trying to sleep.
I have 3 cats in my bedroom at night,but they are very active in the daytime with us(retired),hence ready to sleep most of the night.
Old July 29th, 2008, 09:25 AM

Ha ha ha, I know I shouldn't laugh but my 3yr old cat does this. He is a little brat! I honestly don't know if removing things from your wife's nightstand will work, but it is definitely worth a try!

We always have to keep our doors closed now. There is only one cat that is allowed to sleep in the bedroom, as he wants in just to sleep with you. He rarely ever gets into mischief.

Orlando, on the other hand, will come in and act like he wants to sleep. Once you get all snuggled in and the lights go off... It begins. He goes for everything on the nightstand. We have removed things from the nightstand before, but then he goes for other shelves, dressers, drawers, bags, etc... Anything to get you up and out of bed. He'll go for pictures on the wall and even perform scaling acts under our bed, lol. It really depends on what your cat is like...

When we first started kicking him out, he was a big baby and a pest. Scratching at the door, but he eventually got over it. He has all sorts of toys to play with and a scratching post, that keep him busy at night (plus other kitties). He has also found his way on top of our bookshelf and that is where sleep takes place when he needs it - about twice a week, ha ha ha.

Good luck! It's nice to snuggle with our animals at night, but sometimes it's just not possible.
Old July 29th, 2008, 09:47 AM
Senior Contributor

i agree its sounds like something cats would do. Eclipse knocks everything over on nightstands counter dresser anything in his way. You can move the stuff but i think as soon as you put it back she'll do it again. The toys are a good idea. If it bothers you you just might have to keep her out of the bedroom at night. Make sure you give her lots of attention when she is awake though.

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007