Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 30th, 2010, 02:05 PM

What Is This Dog?

Long story short... I was going to the store to buy some hamburgers for a BBQ and found a little dog, he was lost and very frightened. Barking like a mad man as I approached. I was following him for about 10 minutes since he obviously looked lost and almost got hit by a car. Eventually I managed to see his name tag and the second I called it out he ran to me like we were best friends. I took him back home, tried calling the owners but nothing. In the meantime I played with him, took him for a quick walk since he looked bored. Tried the owners again but no shot. Eventually I called the Humane Society since he was tagged, it took them 5 hours to come down. I kept calling the owners every 15 minutes, nothing. During that 5 hours I had a blast, never had a dog before and it was hard to separate us since he followed me everywhere. I pretty much spoiled and played with him all day, such a wonderful smart dog.

At the end of the day, they finally came to pick him up, I called the next morning (Today) and the poor guy is still in a cage and the owners no where to be found. They also don't have voicemail...

Here are some shots, what kind of dog is this? P.S. If the owners don't claim him I plan to adopt.

I could tell he was hungry, he was nibbling my arm. A few hours after I found him, I went and bought him the nicest dog food I could find and he DEVOURED it.

Old June 30th, 2010, 03:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

He looks like he may be a dachshund cross, Gixxer!!! What a cutie!

I know that if his owners can't be located, he's fallen into good hands! Thank you for going to bat for him when he was in need

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 30th, 2010, 06:06 PM
Investigative researcher

Yes, dachshund x chihuahua or dachshund x small terrier is my guess. Could have a new family member if the owners do not show up. They could be on vacation, though, and he might have escaped where he is being boarded--that happens more often than people think--so don't get TOO attached just yet. From his muzzle, if that is graying, he could be about 5 or 6 yrs old--many black dogs grey like that starting that early.
Old June 30th, 2010, 06:20 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

first off thank you for saving this little lost soul...i'm going to say jrt x,,probably with chihuahua,,,the chest and stance look terrier...he's a lucky little man no matter what he is.
Old June 30th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Senior Contributor

He is the CUTE kind. Thank you for taking care of him.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old June 30th, 2010, 09:40 PM

Thanks for the replies, he's a wonderful dog I was sad to let him go. I'm thinking that the owners went on vacation for the long weekend and maybe the person who was watching him accidentally let him out. The owners haven't picked up the phone yet, it's been almost 2 days now. They also do not have voicemail which makes the rescue even harder. I can't think of anyone wanting to throw this little gem away.

If I am able to adopt him, I'm a little worried since I have two cats, thankfully they're very friendly and lax, he's also very friendly too -- I hope anyways. A few dogs walked by and he ran to them just to play and lick, none aggressive behavior.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the area code of the owners is in a different town about 25 kilometers away. I really hope he didn't trek that far.

Last edited by Gixxer; June 30th, 2010 at 09:47 PM.
Old June 30th, 2010, 10:08 PM

Here's a little video, hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvJb0Y60nEM
Old June 30th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

What a little cutie pie!! I'd say Dachshund / Terrier x.
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Have you filled out an application form yet, Gixxer? Doesn't hurt to get your app on file early in case the owners can't be found. You certainly seem smitten with the little sweetie!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 30th, 2010, 11:40 PM
Catlover2

My guess is Jack Russell Terrier/Dachsund. A little sweetie for sure, glad you persisted in getting him, hope you're able to adopt him if the owners don't show up.
Old July 1st, 2010, 07:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for taking the time and saving this little soul. It's moving time, so he may have gotten lost or maybe he was dumped. Anyways - just keep inquiring on him to find out the status. There are so many animals that are given up this time of year that the shelters and pounds are overflowing. Euthanasia is a sad reality as there are not enough cages to house them all, and not enough adoptive families. So keep calling them to find out.

I wish you luck and also I hope that either the owners come back or you adopt him.

Keep us updated.
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Gixxer,I have no idea,but he certainly is a sweet-heart,thank you,thank you for saving him
I am hoping the owners will come around and pick him up,but if not,you'll have a sweet little dog...kitties might not approve at first,but with the right slow introduction and our help,it will work out.

I don't know where you are,but I would make the HS aware you might adopt him,just so he's safe..
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh forgot to mention...if you do adopt this dog or another...we are all here to support and help you out since this would be your first time as a dog owner. Just thought I would throw that in there....
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:14 PM

I live in St. Catharines, Ontario. How does the adoption process work?
Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:39 AM
Senior Contributor

As far as I know,you just have to fill out the adoption-papers and be approved,but someone else will come along and help you out,I am sure..

I could be wrong,but I think St Catherines Humane has a high killrate
Old July 2nd, 2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I could be wrong,but I think St Catherines Humane has a high killrate
No, you're right. I haven't heard good things about that place, I think it's because they run it more like a business first and a Humane Society second.

I think they're going to want about $400 to adopt him, especially to the one who brought him in -- if I knew it was going to be that much I would have just kept him and contacted the owners by my own accord. It's not like they really did me any favors, we were having a great time.

We'll see how it goes.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

How long will it be before he's available for adoption, Gixxer?

Old July 2nd, 2010, 06:35 PM

Just wanted to give you guys an update, he was picked up later today by the owners. He would have been up for adoption tomorrow since Yesterday was a holiday. Glad the owners picked him up.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 09:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm glad for the owners, but I'm disappointed for you, Gixxer! You did a good thing here!

Old July 3rd, 2010, 10:03 PM

The right one

You will find a dog for you soon, it sounds like you want to be a good doggy mom.