Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old May 26th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Searching for Scout

LOST CAT - SCOUT - AJAX (Church/Delaney) Missing Since May 24

My beloved cat Scout, a medium haired calico - very friendly, 6 years old, with a distinctive black spot on her nose, wandered off on Monday May 24, and hasn't come home since. She is used to wandering the neighbourhood (Church and Delaney area in Ajax) for a couple of hours at a time, but has always stayed close to home, and has never stayed out overnight. I am DEVASTATED!

We have put out food and her litter box, hoping she can pick up the scent and follow it home, have gone door to door to neighbours, and have put out posters.

If anyone has any other advice - or better yet, if you're in the Ajax area and happen to spot Scout - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE call me at 905-409-4657. We are DESPARATE to find her.
Attached Images

Old May 27th, 2010, 01:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Good luck finding your kitty, she is lovely. You should go in person to any animal shelters, spca's, pounds etc that are in your area and close by. They will not always correctly identify (or even try) your cat if you call and ask. Also contact all vets in your area with this info. Go out at night with a flashlight and look in nooks and crannies and under bushes and decks. The light will help to reflect off her eyes. Good luck finding your kitty. Please keep us posted.
Old May 27th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Searching for Scout

Got a potential lead on her tonight

A call came in from someone about 15 blocks away. They spotted a calico that matched the poster we put up, potentially. Spent about 2 hours looking in that part of the neighbourhood - but had to come home because I had my two year old with me, and he was getting really, really tired! I am thinking I am going to head back there in the morning. FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!
Old May 28th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Searching for Scout

lead didn't end up turning up anything. Still looking = getting really, really scared!
Old May 28th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so sorry. Keep looking and don't give up hope. There have been may cats found a month after they have disappeared.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 28th, 2010, 09:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm sorry the lead didn't pan out, Shannon! I hope she comes home soon!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old May 28th, 2010, 10:18 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Maybe some of these tips will help....

Go to the Humane Society or shelter in your area with a picture of your cat. Do not phone. You need to go there in person. Kitty may have been turned in or caught. Ask to see the sick room and the feral rooms. A cat who has been trapped/caught may "act" feral. Act quickly. These cats are the first to be euthanized. Usually within two to three days. Keep going back and asking about your cat. S/he may eventually end up there.

Make posters and plaster the area your cat would normally be in and the neighbourhoods around you. It is not necessary to offer an award on the poster. You can make that decision when your cat is returned. Post them in vets' offices, in malls, wherever you can.

Go to your neighbours and ask them to check under their decks, in their sheds, anywhere where a cat may hide out or have been curious about. An open shed door is a greeting card for a curious kitty. Check construction sites in your area. Your cat may have gotten trapped in a shed on site or a closed room which may not be opened for some time.

Put out kitty's favourite blanket, litter box, and food. You can also add an article of their favourite person's clothing recently worn. This may help call kitty home.

A can of sardines, tuna, or salmon may help lure out kitty.

Go out early in the morning (4 - 5 AM), and late at night (11 - 12) with a flashlight and a bag of kitty's favourite treats. Shine the flashlight into bushes, hedges, under places where kitty may be hiding. Call kitty's name repeatedly. It is quieter then and kitty may be more apt to come out of hiding. This has worked often to bring kitty home.

Buy or borrow a humane live trap. You can set it up on your porch, in your back yard, in a place where your cat has been spotted or would usually hang around. Bait it with the tuna, salmon or sardines. If kitty is a catnip hound you can even use catnip.

As much as this may hurt call whoever is responsible in your town/city for picking up road kill. In this area the organization is called Public Works. Ask them if they picked up any cats and the description.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 1st, 2010, 12:53 AM
Searching for Scout

The Search Continues...

Thank you to everyone for well wishes and advice. The search continues...

what I've done so far...

1. patrolled the neighbourhood nightly, making the noise she usually comes to, and calling her name
2. put up about 500 posters in our neighbourhood, and have taken them to local vets, etc.
3. called animal control daily (ajax and pickering)... they have not (THANK GOD) picked her up off the side of the road
4. checked our local shelter. I hadn't checked the "sick" room - hadn't known to ask. Thank you for that tip - I will do that tomorrow.
5. knocked door to door in my immediate neighbourhood
6. left her litter box, and a special blanket on the back porch, hoping that she can follow the scent back home
7. put up facebook, kijiji, and craigs list ads
8. posted here

Tomorrow, I am going to see about running an ad in our local newspaper.

She is the sweetest cat, and had at one point literally saved our lives when my baby was one week old, and I passed out from exhaustion while trying to sterilize baby bottles on the stove. The smoke detector didn't go off... but Scout woke me up just as the fire started. I love her so much, I can't even imagine life without her.

I think someone may have taken her in, thinking she was a stray. And, I trust that they'd likely be being good to her. And, I think that - if she ever gets out of their house (if that's what's happened), she will hurry home again. The thing that gives me comfort about that is that it would mean she is being cared for - and I'm likely to see her again; she is wiley with escape - I can tell you that!

If there is anything anyone can think of that I haven't done... please let me know. I am crushed without my fur-baby!!!!
Old June 1st, 2010, 07:48 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope you find your kitty, but please when he comes home...keep him indoors.
Old June 1st, 2010, 08:42 AM

Shannon you are really doing everything you can...don't give up
My though and prayers are with you and your family
Old June 1st, 2010, 05:47 PM
Searching for Scout

Thank you. I promise you when (or, god forbid, if) I get Scout home, she will never get out again. I love her so much, and have been barely able to function this past week.
Old June 4th, 2010, 06:44 AM

Shannon, please check your pm's.
Old June 13th, 2010, 09:46 PM
Searching for Scout

Still Missing and very, very missed... MORE PICTURES

Scout is still missing. We have put out flyers around the neighbourhood, and I've updated the flyers with better pictures I was able to get out of a previously crashed hard drive. The search continues... Any help/advice/words of encouragement are greatly appreciated. It's tough to keep faith that she'll return - it will be 3 weeks tomorrow... the worst 3 weeks I can even imagine.

Here's some of the new picturesName:  Picture 047.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  56.3 KB

Name:  Scout PHOTO.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  83.1 KB.
Old June 13th, 2010, 09:53 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

She's a sweetie, Shannon! Don't give up hope

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 13th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Keep looking. Cats have turned up a month after they have disappeared.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old June 14th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Searching for Scout

aarrgghh!!! NOT a fan of mailman!

We have those "super mailboxes" in our town. I spent $300 on flyers yesterday and put them up on the mailboxes all around town, and this morning, they are all crumpled up and laying on the side of the road. I am crushed! I have also been doing a door drop - but the mailboxes are such a great way to get good exposure. I am NOT a mailman fan!
Old June 14th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Shannon,I was hoping when I saw you had posted that you had found her
Scout,if she is an outdoor kitty,at least knows the area,chances are someone has her,she is very pretty.
I can't understand why anyone,including the mail-man,would be so heartless and tear down posters.
Please do not give up hope,I am sure she is somewhere wanting to come home
Old June 14th, 2010, 05:00 PM
banned user

I had the mail "lady" reem me out up in Orillia area when I was looking for Sable...that I couldn't put flyer on her mailbox ..it was governement property and I could be charged! She took down everyone I put up!!
I found handing out business cards with the picture on one side and the contact info on the other was more cost effective and people could put in their purse, wallet or pocket....and gave one to everyone I met...dog walkers, door knocking, anyone I could get to hold out their hand......keep up the faith...don't give up!
Old June 14th, 2010, 10:28 PM
Searching for Scout

the business cards is a fabulous idea i hadn't thought of... THANK YOU!

I am looking into hiring a flyer distribution company to do a door to door drop in our broader community. I've done a lot of the area - but I have a full time job and a two year old. I'm canvassing the streets after my son's asleep and his dad's at home, but I am sensitive about going up to people's doors to place flyers in mailboxes/door handles at 11 at night (did it one night, and the second house had a dog that went wild... thought the better of it). But a flyer distribution service could do it during the day while I'm at work, without disturbing people, and still get the word out.

I am thinking I will get the business cards done and take them to local soccer games/baseball games and hand them out to spectators... I can do that with my son without it being dangerous for him.

Thank you to everyone for words of encouragement and ideas... it really does help!
Old July 4th, 2010, 02:07 AM
Searching for Scout

I feel sick even saying this - she went missing the night of the fireworks (May 24), and hasn't been found... no real leads even. I HATED the fireworks on July 1... can't believe she's been missing all this time. I pray that someone has taken her in, and that I may someday get her back. I worry sick that she was scared out of her territory and is now "homeless" and vulnerable. I am trying hard to hold on to hope... but I am feeling less and less like I will see her again.
Old July 4th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh shannonjackson, don't give up hope. Kitties do turn up months after they have disappeared.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 4th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Senior Contributor

L4H is right, don't give up yet. Remember to check the pound, SPCA every day ( that's where my little Nickie ended up) and unfortunately call the city a few times a week and find out if they have had any calls to pick up deceased animals on the road. It may not be what you want to do, but at least you know that she may still be alive...

I got the most phone calls when I put posters in everyone's mailbox. Domestic cats usually stay within a two block radius of where they live, unless they lose their scent, which Nickie ( my lost cat) did.
Old July 4th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Shannon,I can understand that it's a heartbreaking feeling not knowingbut if she's out there somewhere,she does not want you to give up
It's sometimes difficult for people to know that a cat is lost,so many people let their cats roam and not everyone looks at posters,putting them in mail-boxes is a good idea.
Old August 4th, 2010, 06:03 AM

Your flyer

Hi Shannon,

I just wanted you to know I received your flyer yesterday ... I'm near Westney & Delaney ... so your message is out there even more now.

I really hope this is just what someone needs to help get your precious Scout back to you. I'm sure it's like you said, someone took her in because she's such a beautiful girl.

Good luck Shannon.