Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old July 16th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Article in Globe & Mail - Raw meat for dogs: Is the theory half baked?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle4401112/
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 16th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Hmmmmm a quote from the article by a vet:

Dr. Joffe says owners should stick with kibble that is “based in good science” – brands such as Iams, Hills, Purina and Royal Canin. He has written papers in peer-reviewed veterinary journals and lectured across North America about the perils of a raw diet (including what he views as the human risk – salmonella levels in the home, and dogs eating raw meat, then licking a human’s face).

I wonder if he's read about all the recalls in recent years ?

I feed my cats a raw diet (homemade) and they've never been healthier.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 16th, 2012, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Dr. Joffe performed Aztec's cardiac ultrasound. He's wonderfully skilled in that department. Animal nutrition? Not so much. I prefer this article that lambastes the veterinary profession's position on raw diets: http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...ed-raw-policy/

Like this part:

Quote:
Vets must think we pet owners are idiots; it appears they don’t believe we have the mental capacity to handle raw meats. Well, we’ve got news for the vets: most of us, except strict vegans, handle raw meats every day, regardless of what we feed our pets. Do you think we don’t know that meats contain bacteria? Do you think we don’t know to wash our hands and counter tops after handling raw meats? If kibble is so safe, then why do vets advocate washing hands before and after feeding pets, cleaning their dishes and disposing of uneaten food.
To put raw diets and the whole bacteria paranoia in perspective:

Quote:
As for avoiding bacteria, your dog or cat might not be the bacteria laden reservoir vets think them to be, relatively speaking. Here are some interesting germophobic facts:

• Each time that it’s flushed, your toilet propels invisible bacterial and viral aerosols into the air that can float for up to 2 hours contaminating everything from hand towels to toothbrushes.

• Microbiologists at the University of Arizona Environmental Research Laboratory found 21% of shopping carts tested to contain bodily fluids. The handles can harbor staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus pneumoniae, E coli and other bacteria from meat and poultry.

• The University of Arizona found that almost a third of the railings in public transportation-on buses or subways-were infected with the same bacteria that is found in feces and that 25% of the seats in movie theatres were infected with E.coli bacteria, which is bacteria from feces. Another study by U.S. Air Force doctors in Ohio found that money harbors bacteria which can make both immuno-suppressed and healthy people very sick.

• Bacteria from food, the body or other sources can survive a wash cycle and spread via our hands to other surfaces. Among them are staphylococcus aureus and klebsiella pneumoniae and E coli.

• 95 percent of people say they wash their hands after using a public bathroom, but only 67 percent actually wash their hands. Only 33 percent of those who do wash their hands use soap. And only 16 percent really wash their hands long enough.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 16th, 2012, 04:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Hmmmmm a quote from the article by a vet:

Dr. Joffe says owners should stick with kibble that is “based in good science” – brands such as Iams, Hills, Purina and Royal Canin. He has written papers in peer-reviewed veterinary journals and lectured across North America about the perils of a raw diet (including what he views as the human risk – salmonella levels in the home, and dogs eating raw meat, then licking a human’s face).

I wonder if he's read about all the recalls in recent years ?

I feed my cats a raw diet (homemade) and they've never been healthier.
I was told Iams grinds up baby chickens alive to made their food! Iams, Hills, Purina are really poor quality dog food. My last dog did not like Hills dog food .
Old August 2nd, 2012, 02:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I meet a woman at a park and she fed her Standard Poodle raw chicken . The woman was bragging about how healthy her dog was and just then the dog took a dump and she had really bad diarrhea. That was enough to convince me to stay with dried dog food for my dog. With all the recalls on meats I do not feel comfortable feeding raw meat to my pets.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 02:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I meet a woman at a park and she fed her Standard Poodle raw chicken . The woman was bragging about how healthy her dog was and just then the dog took a dump and she had really bad diarrhea. That was enough to convince me to stay with dried dog food for my dog.
So dogs on kibble don't ever get diarrhea?

Quote:
With all the recalls on meats I do not feel comfortable feeding raw meat to my pets.
What about all the recalls on commercial pet food? And not *just* recalls, but thousands of pet deaths and several human deaths as well.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I meet a woman at a park and she fed her Standard Poodle raw chicken . The woman was bragging about how healthy her dog was and just then the dog took a dump and she had really bad diarrhea. That was enough to convince me to stay with dried dog food for my dog. With all the recalls on meats I do not feel comfortable feeding raw meat to my pets.
A diet consisting of just raw chicken wouldn't be healthy - perhaps that's why there was tummy problems? Or maybe she was just starting her puppers on raw.. and it does take a while for the body to adjust to the change

Like any diet, feeding raw requires a bit more than just tossing raw meat to your pet - it's not horribly complicated, but you do need to do your research
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:12 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post

What about all the recalls on commercial pet food? And not *just* recalls, but thousands of pet deaths and several human deaths as well.
Or, the lady may not have practicing good raw feeding practices .

I've been feeding my cats raw for years now and the only time one of my cats has a momentary lapse in diarrhea is when somebody I'm married to gives Jasper too much kibble

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:47 PM

There are sadly a lot of vets who are more interested in their profits than health - a dog on vet kibble is usually more likely to come back in over and over again, where a lot of raw dogs just don't get sick. Of course they're going to say raw is a bad thing!

Or they see dogs fed raw that are fed wrong and again assume it's the whole diet.

I had a lady complain up and down that her vet bills were insane - she's feeding the vet based kibbles and in constantly for ear issues with the dog. Yet won't try raw because the same vet said it was bad for her dog.... Told her it wouldn't be any worse to try raw for a while and it might just solve the problem, but of course the vet isn't going to make money on a healthy dog.....
Old August 3rd, 2012, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post

My dogs never had diarrhea that looked like that dog diarrhea. The poop was pouring out of the poor dog. I never seen a dog with diarrhea like that dog had. It was bad!!
Old August 3rd, 2012, 05:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
A diet consisting of just raw chicken wouldn't be healthy - perhaps that's why there was tummy problems? Or maybe she was just starting her puppers on raw.. and it does take a while for the body to adjust to the change

Like any diet, feeding raw requires a bit more than just tossing raw meat to your pet - it's not horribly complicated, but you do need to do your research
The dog was a full grown Standard Poodle and it been eating raw chicken for awhile. I know Standard Poodles can have sensitive stomachs , mine did .
I think the woman just feeding her dog raw chicken and that is not a balance diet. I brought my dog a beef bone as he loved to chewed and Marty just played with the bone a little . He had no interest in the bone. That was the only raw food I gave him. Marty rather chew on my leather shoes!!
Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
My dogs never had diarrhea that looked like that dog diarrhea. The poop was pouring out of the poor dog. I never seen a dog with diarrhea like that dog had. It was bad!!
Right, but to dismiss the entire concept of raw feeding based on this one situation which you really have no background info on or whether it's even related to the dog's diet is just silliness.