Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 25th, 2008, 12:33 PM

cyst or boil on dog

I took my 12 year old dog to the Vet early October to have a big boil or cyst on her side checked out. For the sake of this description, I'll call it a boil. The Vet drew 3 needle samples. It was going to take an hour to get the results so I came back later, didn't speak to her, but they had prescriptions ready - cephalexin 500 mg and vanectyl-P. So I don't know (and didn't think to call back to ask) what the problem was - during examination she thought it was an infection (and she said she didn't want to lance it because there would be too much bleeding). Last night a part of the boil broke open. The discharge was mostly bloody fluid. This morning the stuff that was coming out was pale yellow lumpy stuff. It seemed to drain ok, left a big crater-like hole which has since filled up again. Other sections of the boil look like they're going to break open. I've been putting on polysporin, adding a gauze pad, and that stretchy tape to hold it there, all covered up with a t-shirt to keep her from licking it. Just checked her and there's some pinkish fluid draining. She isn't in any distress and is acting normally. Any suggestions?
Old October 25th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Skylar's Farm

It sounds like a cyst. My friend's Basset had several and the vet chose to lance and stitch most of them before they burst.
Flushing with a sterile solution may be helpful. It may be wise to have the vet check again.
Old October 25th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Ditto on what Bino said. Looks like everything is handled.

From what you described, it was an cyst and it's almost a done deal. Keep it clean and open to drain. The wound should scar down...and keep up with the medication. Cephalexin is the best choice of antibiotics for treatment and is inexpensive.
Clean often, let it drain.
Old November 27th, 2008, 04:31 PM

thanks for advice

I appreciated getting replies. Thank you! Surgery was scheduled first week of November but end of October my dear girl scratched that cyst which didn't stop bleeding until I got her to the vet 15 minutes later. The vet had another look and didn't like what she saw. So... because of her other pre-existing conditions, it was decided the best we could do for her was to let her go. I think of her every day. She was such a big sweet girl and had a great sense of fun. Thanks again!
Old November 27th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry you lost your girl.
What didn't the vet not 'like the look of'? Did he suspect a tumour?
Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:47 PM

Sorry - haven't been back for a while. The Vet thought it was a tumour, with its own blood supply is how she put it. My girl was sick for a long time, on pain medication for arthritis in her spine, and side effects from the medication. Thanks for your reply!
Old January 3rd, 2009, 04:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm so sorry to hear that you lost your girl, 3Dogs&Cats :sad:

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."