Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 3rd, 2004, 08:43 PM
Mocha and Oscar's mommy

AHHH, if it's not one thing it's another

oh my, I was wondering if there was anyone on here who may have had a similar problem. My 1 year old beagle/rotti has always been a poop eater. Ever since she was a little pup we had to follow her around (like you should do anyway when housebreaking) and clean up her poop almost as it was done to stop her from eating it. Gross I know... I consulted a vet because I feared maybe she wasn't getting proper nutrition and that she felt she had to eat it...??...I was told there it is pretty common and has a name to it but I can't remember now and that usually they grow out of it.

Well she is one now and for a little background she wouldn't fully housebreak until she was almost 9 months old (I have been told beagles are horrible to housebreak). She still goes outside and poops and eats it, with two dogs we usually let them go out half a day clean it up, go out the second half of the day and do a second scoop but I can see that there is hardly any of her poop out there so she is still eating it Also she will be outside for a few hours basking in the sun or playing in the snow (don't get uptight, the door is open and she is free to come in and out..she is never barred out there LOL) but she will come in and go to the same corner and poop and eat it. Oh please help, the vet said it won't hurt her but it sure grosses me out.