Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 12th, 2004, 06:23 AM

hip problems

Ok back to the drawing board with poor little kash - she is only 8 months old and now she has problems with her hips - she is at the vets on friday for x -rays.

Her hips have started to look dodgy - not to mention the slack ligaments in her from legs causing them to wobble (which has been getting better with cod liver oil which she happens to love) anyway - her 'trot' as i call it looks uncomfortable and quite a few people have mentioned it too me occasionaly she will lift her left hind leg off the ground when i bring her back in from a walk, like she has something in her foot but she never does - just looks like she is in discomfort. Im worried about this baby- its not good to have problems like this when she is so youn - i knew what i was taking on when i got her though - good job i got good insurance from day one! Just got me onto thinking on how the others are doing - i know her sister maddy who my freind has is doing fine as she comes to training with me - she has had no probles yet, i just know the other people who have the rest of the litter will be breeding from them again soon and it makes me sad for all the puppies oput there now and all of them to come - i have tried to speak to them but they are'nt interested.

Is there anything the vet can do if her hips are bad or will they just deteriorate over time? Is there anything i can do to help?
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:34 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Oh sorry to hear that!

I'm not sure what the problem is but you can certainly start giving supplements of glucosamine and shark cartilidge. I'm not sure of the dosage for such a young dog but there are many products made for dogs that you can get from holistic vets that would indicate a proper dosage.

Also you may want to look into doggie chiropractic care and accupuncture.

I suppose the thing is you need to find out exactly precisely specifically the problem!
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:40 AM
banned user

AWWWW poor (((Tazz)))
Old May 12th, 2004, 07:53 AM
Senior Contributor

What breed is Kash?

I agree with Luba about the glucosamine and shark cartilidge.My previous GSD was taking that when he had Rhumatoid Arthritis...

If by any chance it is Hip Dysplasia,then at this young age surgery will be needed.

My Moms previous Westie had hip problems.Scottie had surgery and he lived to be 14..

So you talked to the breeder about what is happening and they didn't seem to care?
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:15 AM

Kash is a staffy. It wasnt that the breeder didnt care it was that he bred them for money to pay for decorating his bedroom and a new stereo! - i posted about him before. It was a hard decision as whether to get her or not as I knew there could be many problems with her. I knew what i was letting myslef in for, I got her because i knew what would happen if i didnt and tazz needed a freind to play with ( and she is so pretty ). I just know he will be breeding her again if he hasnt allready I wish there is something i could do to stop him and all the other people breeding staff/pits on that estate.

I know hip dysplasia could be a probem so i have done lots of reading up on it and it seems they can do a lot more these days than in the past!
- I have made sure she hasn't carried any excess weight and had her spayed (which for some reason they say helps?) I will try and find out more about those supplements - do they sell them in the uk - if not my mum is going to canada in june - which im sure could be useful!
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:17 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I'm sure they have them there, u shouldn't have any trouble finding them
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh ok,I remember now....Was having a blonde moment there..... ..Come to think of it,I have been having MANY of them....

As for the bedroom and stereo,that to me says he didn't care.. ...Not only that,but I bet no health and genetic testing was done.... ...People like that just piss me right off.GRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

Check around at health stores and pet stores.I'm sure you will find them there.
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:52 AM

I know the guy to say hi to but i never knew he had dogs until i heard about the litter kash came from. He is on a really run down estate - lives off benefit and is looking after his little brother - mother has left. I dont think the idea that what he is doing is wrong even springs into his mind - these people need educating - I have tried to explain it too him but he was more interested in his can of beer and what was on the telly - havnt been round there since I picked kash up - makes me cry thinking about all the puppies coming from that estate and ending up like tazz. Tazz has two verterbrae smashed in the middle of his back where someone has hit him when he was a baby - dosnt really effect him now but who knows what will happen in the future. He's covered in bald patches where he has scars and has a scar across his muzzle where the rspca say he was kept muzzled as a puppy and it tightened so much with him growing it cut into his skin. He is the result of these peoples ignorance and greed and kash is aswell we are left to pick up the peices and these people carry on without a care in the world.
Old May 12th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Maybe u should talk to him, and tell him that the vet told you this problem was due to improper breeding.
Old May 12th, 2004, 09:12 AM

I will and i'll let you know exactly what he says - and what the vet says!