Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old November 19th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Tux it is time to show your face

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 19th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I know you are all probably right,Tux is a survivor,it's just difficult for me,I was always soo pleased seeing him eat all that food I gave him.
Knowing,unlike last winter he at least had a full tummy.

I also know he could not be in a better place,if he's still around
Old November 19th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You know, chico, fear of the unknown is the worse fear. Tux is probably tucked in nice and warm and dry hoping 14+ kitties will put out more food for him tonight.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 19th, 2009, 07:12 PM

Hugs, still thinking good thoughts and saying prayers for Mr. Tux.

Rm
Old November 21st, 2009, 08:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's Ryan,but I've lost hope,I think he's either dead,or wandering around somewhere far away from 14+ and no stranger is going to care about a kitty like him:sad:
He's on my mind always and the fact I did this to him...
Old November 21st, 2009, 10:15 AM

You didn't do anything bad to Tux! What you did was what you felt was best for him, period. Your heart is a big heart! All we can do is what WE think is best for these babies.

Hugs
RM
Old November 22nd, 2009, 01:42 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Thank's Ryan,but I've lost hope,I think he's either dead,or wandering around somewhere far away from 14+ and no stranger is going to care about a kitty like him:sad:
He's on my mind always and the fact I did this to him...
I just spent some time walking around behind the greenhouses in the fields. I did not see any dead cats. I didn't see any hiding in trees. There is so much stuff back there to hide in - hubby has tons of old farm equipment stored back in the fields - and the grass is so high there is no way I would be able to see him.
You did nothing to him. You took him from a place where his life would probably not have been much longer with the traffic and crossing the roads. You said yourself with the snowbanks in the winter he would probably get himself killed. He is out here somewhere having a great time catching mice. There is still food being eaten. I have my tenant watching for him as well now. He will let me know if he sees him.
Remember I told you about Niko escaping from the cataury before we got the new fence done last year? He climbed back in after a few days and didn't get a very good reception from the kitties because he smelled different then them so he took off again. I feared the worse too. I looked all over for him. Never saw him again. Then hubby called me one day in Sept from the deck. He asked what colour Niko was. I told him white with darker tabby spots and a tabby tail. He pointed to our neighbours' tree line. And there was Niko, walking along as if he had not a care in the world. I know I will never be able to catch him again BUT I also know he is out there still safe. I truly feel that one day it will be the same for Tux. Hopefully he will be closer than that. Like at the catuary. But he is still out here. He is still scoping things out. When he is ready he will show himself. Right now he is probably having a ball scoping out his new 'hood.
Now stop feeling bad for him. I think he is a lot happier here than he was in the city. That's my gut talking.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; November 22nd, 2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww G,I cannot help the way I feel,in no way do I blame you
Tux was never really like a feral,he would show himself to me,knowing I brought food,he even one day in the summer,sat on our fence watching my guys outside.
I have to be honest with myself,I think his first instinct would be to find the only place he's known and try to get back there and of course he won't find it.
I feel like I dumped him,the way so many have done with your kitties and that certainly was not my intention,we had it all so well planned and it did not work out that way,that's all there is to it
Unlike you,I don't have much experience with strays and any cat is lucky to end up in your care,I just wish Tux would have known that.
I loved his little crooked face,I would never have done anything to hurt him,but I did and to be honest I feel really terrible about it,not a day goes by,that I don't cry for him:sad:
You certainly have enough on your plate,so please don't worry about me,I have to deal with it my own way,I'll never forget little Tux for sure,or what I did to him.
Old November 22nd, 2009, 07:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico, he knows your voice, if it makes you feel any better, why don;t you take a trip down and see if he recognizes your voice..just a thought
Old November 23rd, 2009, 07:42 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Chico, I saw a dead kitty on the road yesterday and I thought of Tux, he is MUCH better off at 14+'s free, then back in Oakville crossing the busy street. He is probably having a hayday catching all those mice, there are so much more food sources there, than in the city. Plus, I think he is snacking on 14+'s food.

Not sure how far you live from 14+, but cpietra has a good idea, the sound of your voice may be enough to bring him out of hiding.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 23rd, 2009, 08:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry girls,I should never have written that,I have my bad moments,filled with guilt and I should stay away from the Forum when that happens.

cpietra,L4H,Tux does not know his name,nor really my voice,if anything,he'll associate my voice with the scary trap.
Old November 23rd, 2009, 09:23 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Lost kitties are not like dogs who run.

I had a kitty when I was a teenager who got out the car when we were travelling across Canada at a rest stop in Northwest Ontario. He ran into the woods. I screamed that I was not leaving without my cat so my father went after him. He found a place to hide and stopped.

This same cat got out of our motel room on our first night in Kingston ON (we moved from Winnipeg). Once again I panicked, couldn't find him anywhere. He ended up hiding in the long grass along a shallow creek just feet away from the motel room. He wouldn't come out during the day and waited until very late at night. That is when I found him.

More recently, Jasper who got "lost" and was scared, wouldn't respond to my voice even though I was calling him for hours in the area (once only feet away from him). He wouldn't even move when I parted the grass and he looked at me.

What I am trying to say is that Tux is probably still in the area. If there is food there, he will stick around until the food source dries up or something scares him away. We know the food source isn't going to dry up.

I know you are very worried, as I would be too, but I think he is doing just fine. Crossing that road was a ticking time bomb for him :sad:.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old November 23rd, 2009, 11:29 PM

I agree. Great point. Cats do tend to stick around.

RM