Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 19th, 2004, 11:37 PM

Natural remedy help???

OK folks
I am not a student of natural remedies but believe it may help in some situations if the condition is properly diagnosed and the remedy properly applied.
Having thus said that:
Here is the problem.
I have a white German Shepherd who is 7 years old and extremely hugely Alpha Male (sort of a southern redneck, bubba dog). He is extremely loyal and I have had him since he was 8 weeks old. I have had him in obedience training several times but he is just not trustworthy around strangers. It is not a real problem since I live in an isolated area and he has a 1/2 acre fenced run where we play ball every day and he patrols my wood working shop with his kenel mate.
I don't want to drug him to slow dog, but I think he would be happier if he were less high strung - intense. An example of his drive is that he will run and leap 5 1/2 feet in the air (this is a 90 pound dog) to take down a flying hawk or crow.They buzz him and he really has caught several in flight.
He has a heart mummer and I think he will live longer if I can tone him down.
Any ideas????
Old April 20th, 2004, 09:57 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

WOW now that I would or maybe wouldn't like to see. He actually catches them and he's GSD. WOW! I've seen Honey catch birds in flight but she's a pointer but a GSD I've never heard of that.

Do you think it may be because he has a job, to patrol so to speak your woodshop? Maybe he's become too protective and anything that invades he feels is his duty to keep out?

I wouldn't want to drug him either and lots of dogs have heart murmurs, two of mine did and it never affected them in the least heart wise.

Do you have many people come around your home? Does he get to socialize with other people/dogs...other then just the ones at home?
Old April 20th, 2004, 10:36 AM

BO GS

I had G.S's for years and have never had one with the power and ability of this one. He is a registered White and beautiful dog. Extremely fast eye mouth coodination. His favorite game is ball and if you are more than 10 feet in front of him you have to throw the ball 8 feet or more over his head to get it past him. His favorites are regulation soft balls. I keep about 20 in his run to play with. He doesn't chew them up just presents them when ever I go out in the yard. We have to play ball!!!!
He has never been too socialized because we live in a somewhat isoated area. Yes he is extremely protective of my shop and the house and us. He is, by some standards, dangerous to outsiders since he is so protective. We have tried to get him to chill out some about visitors but he is just not trustworthy. He can be fine around someone for a while and then get aggresssive.
The only time this proved to be helpful was when we first moved here. I had some construction workers here and kept Bo in the house with me. They were working outside. One of them came to the door and asked my wife for something in the garage. She closed the door and told the workmen to wait whiel she got what he wanted-for whatever reason the worker tried to follow my wife into the garage. Bo was sitting there watching the whole process and as the worker started to enter the house he launched him self and hit the man full force in the chest and grabbed his croutch-ripping his jeans and all but relieving him of his privates. very close call. Worker never came back. (I carry $2,000,000.00 insurance in case something were to happen). Bo is fine with us but any visitors I have to keep him up since he is just unpredictable. Maybe he senses things I don't. He's my boy so I would never get rid of him since any dog I get, I keep. They are family. I though as he grew older he might chill. No such thing.
Any ideas?
Old April 20th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I think you may want to start some socialization with him.

You're gonna have to wean him into it so to speak. Perhaps when you go to either get gas for the car or do a quick errand, you can load him into the car and take him for a ride with you.

I'd start out by getting him used to being off property with you and seeing people, gradually expose him to more and more.

Maybe others have some ideas too?