Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 15th, 2004, 04:19 PM

New here, and Pregnant Cat?

Hi there everyone!
I'm rescuekitty and I'm new here.
Let me introduce myself. My name is Kristen and I am also known as horsecrazy100 on many other boards. I am from Ontario, Canada.
I have a donkey named Bailey, who is almost a year old(April 23), a Belgian filly named MM Amazing Grace("Gracie") who is 9 months old, and rescued from slaughter a few weeks ago as well as a goat named Zoe. I also have a new cat named Softie who is a faded Calico, and is pregnant. I also have a dog named Mason who is a Springer Spaniel.
Just thought I'd introduce myself, and let everyone know a bit about me.

Also, I wanted to ask when you think my cat will have her kittens? She is HUGE now. And being a barn cat, usually wanders and hunts during the day, but lately has been sticking around a lot more. She is a little afraid of the barn, but is slowly getting used to it. But since she is not in the barn at night yet, she has made her home under some sheet metal that is lying up against our greenhouse, right next to the barn. She is there basically all day the last few days. Which I am told this is a sign of her getting close to delivering?? But she shows no signs of "bagging up"(that's the term horse people use for a horse's teats and udder filling with milk.. I don't know what people say for a cat )
Anyway, anyone have any idea when she might deliver, or how close she is? She has had at least several litters of kittens before, but I will be having her spayed after these kittens are born. Feel free to ask any questions if there's anything else I can tell you that might help....
Thanks!
RescueKitty
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Welcome aboard Kristen....

Wow you have quite the zoo there....LOL..

Feel free to post pics of your babies.

It's really hard to say when she will deliver.When did you notice that she was pregnant?Cats are pregnant for about 9 weeks.

What I would suggest is if at all possible,keep her inside with you...Set up a box with a blanket so she can give birth in it.Since I am sure you have some wildlife where you are,this way they cannot get to her and her babies.I have seen what a raccoon can do to kittens.It's not a pretty site at all.

Here is a link that may help you out a bit.

http://cats.about.com/cs/pregnancybi...nancybirth.htm
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:40 PM

Yes, we do have quite the menagerie!

Unfortunately, I don't know when she first showed signs of being pregnant. I have only had her for a week or so, and before that, I had not seen her for a while at my friend's place. So I'm not sure... But she is HUGE!! I will go out right now and take some pctures of her to post as soon as I can get them scanned. She may have them before that time ever comes lol.
Also, I can't really bring her inside, as my family is allergic to cats! But she is sleeping under the sheet metal against our greenhouse, and there don't seem to be very many animals around because of the dog and donkey being nearby.
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Senior Contributor

So I guess there isn't a safe place for her to have her babies?

I'm just a bit worried what will happen to them.Raccoons are pretty placid animals.I saw the remains of what was left over kittens in my sisters barn.And the raccoons didn't seem to care with the dogs or the cows around.They only come out at night.Especially for food..

Sorry if I sound pushy,but I'm just thinking about the babies,especially if she has them in the barn.
Old April 15th, 2004, 06:35 PM

Well, there isn't really much more of a choice for me. She has always had her babies outside, and I believe she is around 8 or 9?? The donkey deters most animals, as that's why we have her, as a guard animal. And the dog is nearby. We used to see raccons a lot at night before we got our dog, but ever since we have had him, we haven't seen any.
The area that I think she is going to have them in is pretty sheltered, and not all that easily accessible.
I don't have much other choice. At least I am trying to help them out. They have a better chance here than with all the other tom cats at the place I got her.
I understand you mean well, but there is not much else that I can do, unless you can think of something that I have missed.
Old April 15th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Senior Contributor

If she is huge, I think she'll deliver very soon. I really suggest you lock her up, preferably in the house. The problem is that if she chooses to have the kittens in some inaccessible place, the kittens will be feral if they don't see people when they open their eyes.

Also, the mother cat can get pregnant in as little as 4 weeks after delivering. If this cat is 8 or 9, she needs to be kept in and not allowed to become pregant any more.
Old April 15th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Kristen,do you have a friend or family member who could take her in?At this age she can have complications during birth.

LR is absalutely right.She can get pregnant up to 4 weeks after she has kittens.
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:47 PM

Unfortunately I don't have anyone else that can take her, and she has never been in a house before, and does NOT appreciate being in enclosed areas.
The kittens will not be inaccessible if she has them where I think she will, but they will be covered and away from predators as much as possible.
I don't know what else to say, I don't have much other choice. I am doing the best I can for her, but apparently you don't think that is enough... I took her in because I wanted to have her spayed and spay and neuter her babies so there would be a few less cats out there breeding unintentionally.
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:57 PM
Senior Contributor

It's wonderful that you want to get this cat and her babies spayed/neutered and rehomed.

WE are just offering advice on the best way to do it. If this cat is left outside, she WILL get pregnant again - that is a fact (unless you know there are NO tomcats within a 5 mile radius)

I have taken in feral cats and their litters, and they didn't appreciate it either, but it was for their own good and their safety.

We can't always allow animals to do only what they like, since what they like is often hazardous to their health.

Do you have any small room in your house? In your barn or outbuilding? A large dog crate to put her in?

WE are speaking merely from concern for this rather elderly mother cat, who at her age, could have things go wrong with this birth.
Old April 15th, 2004, 11:04 PM

As far as I know there are not any tom cats around. I have not seen any cats in the area since we moved her a year ago, and before that we just lived down the road about 3 miles.

There is NO way I can keep her in the house. I have family members that are allergic to cats!!

The barn is very small, and only has 2 stalls. I tried to contain her to the barn the other night, and she climbed the walls, and went nuts on me... I'm worried she's going to hurt herself.

I do have a box that I made for her to get her accumtomed to being here at first. But she does NOT like it, and took off for 3 days after she escaped while I was feeding her. I'm worried that will happen again if I lock her up.

I'm not sure exactly how old she is, that's just a guess, as the friend that had her before said that her sons named her when she was born, and they have long since moved out. Is there any way to tell the age of cat? You can tell a horse's age by it's teeth, is there something like that with a cat?
Old April 15th, 2004, 11:14 PM
Senior Contributor

You said to feel free and ask questions.We did.Then tried to give you suggestions.And I didn't say anything to the effect of you not trying your best.

You know what?I give up.I am really getting tired of trying to help,advise and suggest.And they take it the wrong way.This is the third time in what 3-4 days?

I have nothing more to say.I wish you all the best.And I hope Mommy cat has healthy kittens.
Old April 16th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree Mona..it's difficult
When it comes to barn-cats,feral cats etc...I have no answers,never lived on a farm other than visiting my aunt when I was little.The barn-cats there would have babies all the time and most of them were crushed against a wall after birth by the farmer,we are talking about 1952

But I guess things have not change that much when it comes to"barn-cats".
It's just hard for me,having 3 wonderful cats,very important to us,to imagine a mother cat,birthing alone and maybe in a dangerous place.
On the other hand I know I am naive thinking all cats should be loved and cared for and many barn-cats are probably very happy being just barn-cats,although it's hard for me to understand.
Old April 16th, 2004, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chico2
But I guess things have not change that much when it comes to"barn-cats".
It's just hard for me,having 3 wonderful cats,very important to us,to imagine a mother cat,birthing alone and maybe in a dangerous place.
On the other hand I know I am naive thinking all cats should be loved and cared for and many barn-cats are probably very happy being just barn-cats,although it's hard for me to understand.
I'm sorry, but did it EVER seem like I didn't care about my cat?? I love her to bits, and would do anything I can to help her. I just don't have the ability to do all that you are suggesting. Is it so hard to believe that other catlovers have cats because they love them, but do not have the ability to have them indoors for instance?

Mona, I understand you mean well. I'm sorry if it sounded otherwise. I'm just trying to tell you that I am trying my very best with her! I don't know what else I can do... I appreciate your advice and your trying to help, but you have to undertand that not all cats can be indoor cats. If I had the ability to I would have her indoors. But it's just NOT possible. Please don't think I didn't appreciate you trying to help. I think it's sad though that people with barn cats are looked down upon in places like this. I certainly am trying my best to have her spayed etc before she gets pregnant again.... I'm sorry if my best isn't good enough for you guys
Old April 16th, 2004, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm trying to understand this. You can't keep this cat in the house or in the barn.

She is to live outside with no shelter? What about next winter?

Here is my suggestion. Let her have her kittens, get her spayed and the kittens homes, and take her back where she came from, IF she at least has warm shelter there OR try and adopt her out along with the kittens.

I'm sorry, but merely bringing an animal home and "loving it to bits" is NOT enough.

You have to do the very best you can to take care of it properly. And leaving an older, PREGNANT cat to fend for itself outside is NOT doing that. The excuse that she is climbing the walls doesn't wash. Do you think she will climb the walls 24/7? No, she will settle down and be safe and warm.

Poor cat.
Old April 16th, 2004, 01:50 PM

She does have shelter. I have tried locking her in the barn and she goes INSANE!!! She is getting better every day, and I am now feeding her in the barn though. So she can get used to it at a good time, and not being forced to be there. She is slowly getting much more willing to be there, but does not like to be confined. And even if I do lock her in, the place is not "air tight" and we a gap under the door for when we get a lot of snow so the door still slides open, and she can get out there. And then again I'm sure she will take off because she does that every time I try to confine her, and I start back at step 1 trying to earn her trust. I'd rather her trust me, and have the kittens next to the barn, where I know where they are, than be scared and run off for days on end, and have them who knows where!!

I'm really sorry you guys don't think I am doing a good job at this. I am trying my absolute best!!! I'm sorry if it's not good enough for you. If you have any positive things to say, please go ahead, but I don't need to be trashed anymore for trying my best, thanks.
Old April 16th, 2004, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chico2
IBut I guess things have not change that much when it comes to"barn-cats".
Okay, I know I am going to stir some controversy here but I have to speak for the side that have barns and barn cats.

While I have to admit that many people out there still view barn cats as disposable and do not properly care for them, please do not lump all people with barn cats into this category.

I grew up with barns and barn cats since my parents own a small horse farm. Barn cats are necessary when you have a barn since, without them, mice will overrun the barn. However, it is often just the presence of a cat that will keep the mice at bay.

Many people realize this and not all barn cats are treated poorly. ALL of my parent's barn cats are spayed and neutered and receive all annual shots. They are also wormed regularly. They are fed premium cat food and always have fresh water available since we are aware that barn cats MUST be fed and that it is an old wive's tale that they will not catch mice if fed. In fact, we don't care if they catch the mice at all, just that they scare them away

The barn that my parent's cats live in is fully insulated, well ventilated and heated in the winter. The cats have a cat door that allows them free access in and out no matter what time of the day or weather. There are three cats (Casey, Leonardo and Salvador) that love to play together, love people and love to play with the dogs. People are regularly out in the barn and play with the cats. We have had these cats for years and they LOVE their life.

I also admit that being a barn cat is not for all cats. For instance, Nadia, my Himilayan would be miserable and would not survive. On the other hand, kittens and cats that come from barns, as the cats that my parent's have come from, seem to love their life if properly cared for.

Michelle
Old April 16th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Senior Contributor

No one is "trashing" you. We are giving you advice which you say you cannot take.

I'm sorry, but I can't find anything positive about someone letting an old cat have a litter of kittens outside under a piece of sheet metal, and I know of no one who would.

If you want praise for doing this, sorry.

At least having her spayed will spare her having to go through this again, and for that I thank you.
Old April 16th, 2004, 03:12 PM

I grew up in the country and we had a few semi-feral pregnant cats over the years, too. (Don't get up in arms everybody; I was the child, not the adult. I know better now.) Getting her used to you being around and being the food provider is a good start. She will probably drop those babies any time now.

Unfortunately her idea of an ideal place to have them will not be your idea of an ideal place. If you can find her and the kittens right after she has them she probably will be too tired to fight you. If she does fight, you said something about snow? You'll be wrapped well enough to not get hurt. You can bring out the box you set up and move the whole kit 'n' kaboodle at once to a safer location. She will be tired and hungry for a while, giving you a chance to make her comfortable. You probably don't have a garage, maybe the pump house? Ours was visited so infrequently that the smells were mainly of nature. Many semi-feral cats found safe haven there. Mama cat will have the last say, however, as she definitely will not stay where she doesn't want to stay.

Wherever they end up being raised, it is important that the kittens get used to having humans around. Start petting them daily after their eyes open. Spend as much time as possible with them. They have very few real chances of finding permanent homes if they are skittish around people. (You know this is true; we've seen on this very site that people want to give up too soon on a less than friendly cat.) This will also help Mama get more used to you so that you will be able to get her into the carrier to take her to get spayed.

Let us know how things progress. I realize that you felt that you were being trashed. I don't think that the people on this site meant their words to be interpreted that way. Everyone here cares deeply about animal safety and will want to know how Mama and babies are doing.

Good luck.
Old April 16th, 2004, 03:13 PM

Michelle or cmt489, don't worry some might disagree but there are alot of people who know what you mean. Not everyone is going to have the same views around here. I also know people who have barn cats and who is to say that they're not just as happy as an indoor cat. As long as they're taken care of and your example is perfect for some of us.
Rescuekitty, Yes allergies are hard to live with and I realize you can't have them in the house. What about a cat house? Like a dog house, with a smaller opening, heat lamp for winter etc.
As long as you take good care of her I really see no problem here.
Better than her ending up in a shelter where she might be put down. But then thats just my opinion.
Barn cats have also been known to hide their babies. You might not see her for awhile, then she'll come back slim, and a few weeks later her kittens will show up. My husband said that happens on a farm sometimes.
But please really consider getting her fixed as soon as possible after the birthing. Take care!
Old April 16th, 2004, 04:57 PM

Well thanks to all of you that are standing up for us barn cat owners. I am trying my very best. And yes, I have built her a "cat house" but she does not like it at all.
I know she will eventually get used to it, and the barn as she has been a barn cat forever, and she lived in my friend's dog house a lot of the time before I got her.
I'm glad to see some people standing up for barn cat owners, as it seems that a lot of barn caat owners who are also cat lovers are being bashed in places like this because people simply think that's not where cats should be. Cats are needed in barns. There has always been at least one cat in any barn that I have boarded my horses at, and ALL were taken care of very well, and several lived in heated rooms at night and one was even litter trained and had her own litter box in the tack room! That's luxury for a barn cat, but every cat I have known to live in a barn has been very happy with it. They have the chance to play anytime anywhere with live toys... And then eat them when they're done!
Chany, that's the way I see it, that she's better off with me than being put down. She enjoys being outside much more than being contained somewhere.
Also, I didn't say we have snow right now, but that the door has an opening under it to accomodate snow when we have it over the winter, as we get a LOT here, so she could get out of the barn if she wanted to anyway, and I would lose her trust again for at least several days. With her due date presumably so close, I want her to stay as close to the barn as possible.

Also, I could "take it" if I wanted to. The thing I don't want to take is that many of you seem to be looking down on people with barn cats. Many barn cats live out side if they have the choice over living inside or outside. They prefer to be outside. My cat comes when I call her, and is right there whenever I am outside. She is far from feral. She just enjoys being outside.
Old April 16th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Rescuekitty...yes,we all have different views,I am sure some barn-cats have a wonderful life,but what you described to us,was far from wonderful,the cat seeking shelter under sheet-metal etc...
You will always get different advice,from different people,some you'll like,because they agree with you,some not..
Anyway,I wish your kitty the best and that you'll make sure she does not have to suffer any more pregnancies and that she will have a nice warm place to birth her babies.
Old April 16th, 2004, 06:06 PM
banned user

Didn't want to weigh in here but will and duck for cover (keep in mind I was a child) On the farms there were barn cats. There were alos farm dogs. All of which were not allowed in the house. There was a sense you didn't want them to get comfortable because they were working animals.

I cringe at what I saw when I was small and at times haunts me. But farms have different ideas about animals and the animals themselves have different ideas then regular house cats or farm dogs.

I would love to see the cat go inside.....hopefully all will be spayed and neutured.

I would make contact with the kittens asap! Hopefully you will find Mom when she does give birth. Good luck to you!
Old April 16th, 2004, 06:06 PM

I know that part didn't sound too good. But that's where she has decided she likes to be. I can't help that. And I realize that everyone has different views, and I just hope people won't hold the fact that I have a barn cat against me.
Old April 16th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

So where did this beautiful barn cat come from to begin with?

Did you find this baby somewhere or did it find you
Old April 16th, 2004, 09:31 PM

She was a friend's barn cat, but has been unspayed, and living with many toms so has had multiple litters a year since she was young. So I wanted to give her a home, and needed a barn cat as well to keep the mice down, and she kind of picked me. My friend has about 25 cats (those are just the barn cats, not the ones in the house... But she does keep all that are born there, they are not destroyed or sent elsewhere, unless some good home like me comes along.)
From my first intentional visit to look for a cat a few months ago, she has been my tagalong ever since. So she more or less picked me. The others were friendly, but it just wasn't the same connection.
Old April 16th, 2004, 10:56 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

You know, I'm not very knowledgeable on cats but perhaps after she is spayed she will want to stay closer to home, and maybe even be convinced that in your house is a nice place to be
Old April 16th, 2004, 11:27 PM

I hoep she does stay closer to home after she is spayed. She is staying a lot closer here to my place than she was at the other place, but I have no other cats, so maybe she was leaving my friend's place during the day to get away!

Anyway, I still won't be able to bring her in the house after she's spayed as my family is allergic to cats, but, I hope she will be more willing to have a cozy box in the barn... She was meant to be a barn cat afterall!