Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 13th, 2004, 06:32 PM

Question Dog Not Feeling Well It Happened Over Night

HI

WE HAVE A DOG WE FOUND ABOUT A YEAR AGO. HE HAS BEEN TAKEN TO THE VET WHEN WE FIRST GOT HIM AND WAS IN GOOD HEALTH. WE WENT TO BED 2 NIGHTS AGO AND HE WAS FINE PLAYING AND RUNNING AROUND WITH THE KIDS. GOT UP THE NEXT MORNING AND THE KIDS SAID HE WAS SAD. HE IS MOOPPY AND SEEM TO BE WEAK. HE IS ONLY EATING VERY LITTLE BITS OF PEOPLE FOOD LIKE CHICKEN AND CHEESE AND WILL DRINK IF WE BRING IT TO HIM. HE ISNT EVEN WAGGING HIS TAIL WHEN WE GET HOME. HE IS USUALLY SO FULL OF ENERGY ( HE IS ONLY ABOUT 1 1/2 YEARS OLD) HE CANT WAIT FOR US TO OPEN THE DOOR. HE WONT PLAY WITH HIS STUFFED TOYS OR US. HE IS HAVING A HARD TIME GETTING UP AND DOWN LIKE HE IS WEAK. HE IS GOING TO THE BATHROOM OUTSIDE NORMALLY. NOT THROWING UP. HELP! I AM VERY WORRIED MY HUSBAND SAYS GIVE HIM A COUPLE DAYS TO SEE IF HE IS JUST NOT FEELING WELL. HE DID FIND A DEAD SQUIRREL IN THE YARD A WEEK OR SO AGO AND WE FOUND HIM EATING IT, COULD THIS BE A PART OF IT AFTER THIS LONG.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE,
DEBBIE
Old April 13th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Senior Contributor

He needs to be checked by a vet.
Old April 13th, 2004, 08:08 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

When dogs are listless like that, sure tell sign something is wrong. You should def take the dog to a vet and explain what has happened when it started and how long it has been going on.

Many times, dogs are in pain and appear listless because of it, don't put this off pls.
Old April 13th, 2004, 08:47 PM
banned user

Vet ASAP!
Old April 13th, 2004, 08:56 PM

The problem may be the DEAD SQUIRREL

The dog needs to be taken to the vet.
A lot of people put poison out to kill squirrels and if your dog got hold of one of these he could well be dying. You need to get him to the vet.NOW.
The shreer fact he was eating dead flesh and heaven knows hold old it was or in what condition or even poisoned.
Many of the poisons used to kill squirrels cause death by internal bleeding which can be transferred to anything eating the flesh of the animal.
Old April 13th, 2004, 10:20 PM

OK NOW THAT ITS 10:00 AND YOU HAVE SCARED ME TO DEATH WHAT DO I DO TILL MORNING WHEN I CAN GET TO A VET. CAN THEY DO ANYTHING IF IT IS POISION? ARE THERE ANY SIGNS I WOULD SEE IF IT WAS POISION OR INTERNAL BLEEDING? WOULD IT TAKE 1 1/2 WEEKS TO SHOW UP?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP,
DEBBIE
Old April 13th, 2004, 11:00 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Whats going on with the dog right now?

Maryland I'm sure has a 24 hr vet emerg clinic
Old April 13th, 2004, 11:31 PM

NOT A LOT OF CHANGE HE IS STILL KIND OF MOOPY. HE DOES GET UP AND MOVE FROM ROOM TO ROOM BUT WITH EFFORT. HE NOW DOESNT WANT ANYTHING TO EAT BUT WILL DRINK WATER OCCASIONALY. IM SURE THERE IS A 24 HOUR VET, I DONT KNOW WHERE DO YOU REALLY THINK I NEED TO GO THAT ROUTE. THERE HASNT BEEN MUCH CHANGE FROM EARLIER BUT THE THOUGHT THAT HE MAY BE POISIONED AND BLEEDING INTERNALY IS WHATS SCARYING ME.
Old April 13th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Call your vet, I'm sure there are instructions on the answering machine as to what to do in the event of an emergency.
Old April 14th, 2004, 06:08 AM

COUMADIN: A form of Warfin (rat poison) drugs are used to poison animals. It halts the clotting action and the blood seeps through the tissue walls.
I'm not a Vet but I have had an animal get into this stuff(in a park) and the results are dire.
My dog had a delayed reaction and it took several days for the effects to become known although it was apparent there was something wrong within 3 days- it took two more days for the tox screen to identify possible causes.
This secondary poisoning is fairly comon - unfortunately- in my area which is farm land and many farmers put a varity of compounds out to get rid of rats and mice and the dead bodies are found by pets and they tend to eat them.
I did not mean to scare you only mention what could be the cause and hope you get the animal quick medical attention.
Old April 14th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Coumadin is a blood thinner, is this what the dog got into?
Old April 14th, 2004, 05:41 PM

HI EVERYONE

JUST WANTED TO THANK YOU FOR YOUR ADVICE LAST NIGHT. SAM IS A LITTLE BETTER TODAY, WE GOT HIM TO THE VET HE WAS RUNNING A HIGH FEVER. THEY DID BLOOD WORK TO MAKE SURE THE SQUIRREL WASNT THE PROBLEM AND WILL LET US KNOW. THEY SAID HE HAD SOME KIND OF INFECTION THAT WAS CAUSING THE FEVER AND GAVE HIM ANTIBIOTICS. HE HAS HAD ONE DOSE AND IS UP AND MOVING AROUND A LOT MORE. THEY SAY GIVE HIM 2 DAYS AND HE SHOULD BE HIS NORMAL SELF. IF THE BLOOD WORK COMES BACK WITH ANYTHING I WILL LET YOU KNOW.

THANK YOU AGAIN FOR YOUR SUPPORT AND SUGGESTIONS.

DEBBIE
Old April 14th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Don't forget to give him some plain yogurt since he's taking antibiotics.

Keep us informed
Old April 14th, 2004, 05:48 PM

OK THEY DIDNT TELL US THAT BUT WE WILL. HE WILL LOVE THAT.
I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW HE IS DOING.

THANKS
DEBBIE
Old April 14th, 2004, 06:28 PM

Better safe than sorry

Hopefully it wasn't poison-but you never know.
These little guys have strange taste buds. What you and I would gag on - they seem to relish.
I also remember giving a rescue a bath and he smelled soooo good and ran right out and rolled in some cow dung, picked up a dead ground hog - then came back with a spring in his step and a smile a mile wide. He was sooo happy.
Some days you win and some days you don't even come close.....
Glad the little guy will be OK.
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:19 AM
banned user

I need an update very badly!!!!!!

What did the vet say?
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:45 AM

HE HAD A FEVER AND THEY GAVE HIM AN ANTIBIOTIC. THEY SAID HE HAD SOME KIND OF INFECTION. THEY DID BLOOD WORK AND WILL LET US KNOW IF THERE IS ANYTHING ELSE. HE IS A LITTLE BETTER. HE CAN GET UP AND MOVE AROUND NOW BUT HE IS STILL NOT BACK TO HIS NORMAL SELF. HE HAS TO TAKE THE MED. FOR 10 DAYS. HE SEEMS TO BE HAVING TROUBLE WHEN HE EATS HE CHOKES. HE DOESNT WANT TO DRINK MUCH BUT HE IS EASILY COAXED TO DO SO, SO EVERY SO OFTEN I TAKE HIM TO HIS BOWL AND PUT ICE IN IT AND TELL HIM TO DRINK AND HE USUALLY DOES. I GUESS ITS JUST LIKE A PERSON AND WHEN YOU HAVE A FEVER YOU NEED TO DRINK ALOT. THE VET IS SUPPOSE TO CALL LATER TODAY TO CHECK ON HIM. WE WILL ASK THEN ABOUT THE SWALLOWING. THANKS FOR YOU CONCERN AND I WILL KEEP UPDATING HERE TO LET EVERYONE KNOW WHATS HAPPENING.

DEBBIE
Old April 15th, 2004, 11:03 AM
banned user

Maybe he had a throat infection? We had a dog one time that had tonsilitis..no kidding and even had to have them removed. We gave jello and cottage cheese...any thing soft.....even baby food. I hope they get better soon ((((((Hey and doggy))))
Old April 15th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Debbie go buy some chicken breast and potato's and yogurt

boil the chicken and potato and cut into very small pieces, mash the potato and put a little yogurt in it.

Feed small amounts several times a day

Save the juice that you boiled the chicken in and make ice cubes with it...let him lick them for hydration and coolness.
Old April 15th, 2004, 04:11 PM

I WILL TRY THAT. WE DID TRY CHICKEN AND RICE BUT HE WONT EAT THE RICE AND HE WONT TAKE THE CHICKEN OUT OF IT. HE DOES SEEM TO BE DOING A LITTTLE BETTER THIS AFTERNOON. BUT STILL NOT WANTING TO EAT SO I WILL TRY YOUR SUGGESTIONS. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP

DEBBIE
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:39 PM

entice him to eat

I usually get my little ones to take pills if it is wrapped in cat food. There is something about the cat food that most dogs can't resist. My little 6 # poodle won't take pills but she will wolf them when they are in a small portion of canned cat food.
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:53 PM

HE IS TAKING HIS MEDICINE WRAPPED IN CHEESE. BUT HE SEEMS TO BE HAVING A HARD TIME SWALLOWING IT. IT SEEMS LIKE HE HAS A SORE THROAT OR SOME KIND OF PROBLEM SWALLOWING. WE WILL BE IN TOUCH WITH THE VET AGAIN TOMORROW. HE IS NOW HAVING LOOSE STOOL, WHICH IM SURE IS BECAUSE OF THE MEDICINE.

DEBBIE
Old April 15th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Yes antibiotics can do that

If he's having difficulty swallowing puree the chicken and boil some macaroni and puree it with the chicken (have to add water to it)

It will be easier on his tummy and throat
Old April 15th, 2004, 06:04 PM

MY HUSBAND IS ON THE WAY TO THE STORE TO GET THE POTATOES, CHICKEN AND YOGURT NOW. HOPEFULLY THIS WILL HELP, IF NOT WE WILL TRY THE PURRED NOODLES AND CHICKEN.

THE THING THAT GETS ME IS THAT HE REALLY DOESNT WANT TO DRINK THE WATER IN HIS DISH UNLESS WE REALLY ALMOST FORCE HIM. BUT IT HAS BEEN RAINING HERE FOR 3 DAYS AND PRETTY HARD. TODAY IS THE FIRST SUNNY DAY AND HE KEEPS GOING OUT IN THE YARD AND DRINKING DIRTY WATER THAT IS IN ANYTHING HE CAN FIND.

HE IS GOING TO MAKE ME CRAZY. WE HAVE TO WATCH EVERY STEP HE TAKES RIGHT NOW. BUT WE LOVE HIM HE IS SUCH A GREAT DOG, WE WOULD BE LOST WITHOUT HIM. OUR DOG OF 13 YEARS PASSED AWAY LAST SUMMER AND WE FOUND SAM A FEW MONTHS AFTER THAT AND HE HAS MADE OUR HOME HAPPY AGAIN, HE IS SO SWEET AND SUCH A FAMILY DOG. HE LOVES THE KIDS AND HAS TO BE RIGHT BESIDE US EVERY MINUTE WE ARE HOME.

I CANT SAY THANK YOU ENOUGH TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR CARE AND SUPPORT.

DEBBIE
Old April 15th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Sorry for your loss last summer, I too lost a dog a year ago he was 16.

After you boil the chicken, use the stock from the pot and freeze it into cubes. If he isn't drinking enough you can give him these frozen cubes and it will keep him hydrated.
Old April 15th, 2004, 09:40 PM

OK THE POTATOES WITH YOUGURT AND THE BOILED CHICKEN DIDNT WORK. HE JUST LOOKS AT THEM, HE USUALLY LOVES CHICKEN. THE ONLY THING HE IS EATING IS CHEESE WITH HIS MEDICINE IN IT. I GUESS WE WILL BE BACK AT THE VET TOMORROW. HE JUST DOESNT SEEM TO BE GETTING BETTER. AFTER THE FIRST COUPLE OF DOSES OF MEDICINE HE WAS UP AND AROUND MORE AND STILL IS BUT HE ISNT EATING AND ONLY DRINKING WHEN WE FORCE HIM TOO. THANK GOODNESS HE LISTENS PRETTY WELL AND WILL DRINK WHEN WE TELL HIM TOO. BUT THE FOOD IS A NO GO.
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Are his lymph nodes swollen under his neck? (Just wondering)

About how old is he?

Try liverwurst or boiled liver and rice. I would not normally recomend liver but to entice a dog to eat this could work when all else fails.

Try some broth flavored water too.

*frustrated because you are so far away!*
Old April 15th, 2004, 10:44 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Ahhh geeze, well that is a tough one he just doesn't feel well!!

Plain soda crackers? And babyfood would be my next try.

I'm so sorry he's feeling so bad!!

The meds may be upsetting his tummy and this may be why he wont' eat now.

Have you tried to feed him from your hand, a little in the palm of your hand and let him lick it off?