Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old April 12th, 2008, 02:30 AM

Question Need help with older Shetlie's reaction to new environment

I have had my 8 year old male neutered Sheltie since he was 10 weeks old and he got along very well with our 2 year old neutered female Sheltie. They spent 1/3-1/2 the day outside in Boise, ID (less in winter) and had access to their crates/water in the garage. Then they slept inside and neither ever peed/pooped in the house. In January of 2008 I moved to California and left the female Sheltie at home with my parents. Now he lives with me and my boyfriend and gets lots of attention(and basically 22 hours inside the house. he does get lots of walks) because my boyfriend works at home. He absolutely adores my boyfriend and now when my boyfriend leaves for just a couple hours he will pee in the house. at first it seemed like it was because we moved, but now it seems a little bit related to my boyfriend leaving. He pees in the house less when I'm at home and my boyfriend says when I leave for work my dog sort of treats him like the pet....like my boyfriend is my dog's pet. my Sheltie has always had attitude, but now he's just plain old misbehaving. thoughts?
Old April 12th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Sounds like separation anxiety. Probably does not feel as comfortable as the dog did in the old place and probably misses his partner. To start when you or your bf leave or come home do not pay attention to the dog come in get settled then greet the dog after your bf. When leaving say bye to the bf and leave no big deal make it a calm experience. Leave the dog a kong stuffed with peanut butter or treats it will keep him busy and will not miss you as much. Your bf is the pushover to him and the dog is seeing how much of a commotion will make him stay with him and not leave him. Smart dog trying to be pack leader. Stay consistent you can also try rescue remedy it helps to calm the dog it is all natural but needs a few days before you really see it start to work. Good luck I am sure others will have some more suggestions a lot of us have dealt with S/A
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog