Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 1st, 2015, 09:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Ow! NO, NO, NO! NoOwwrrrrrr!!!!!!!

That's just about exactly what it sounds like when I grab Itty Bitty Kitty, wrap her in a towel, force her jaws apart just a wee bit so I can squirt antibiotic in. It just about breaks my heart. I try to do it before feeding her so the food can wipe out the taste but she runs away. So far she comes back to me in a couple of minutes and with some petting will eat. But I have to do this for 10 days, twice a day, and there are 7 and a half days to go. It just about breaks my heart.

Dental surgery, she had three teeth out. The clue was she would eat then literally yelp what sounded just like OWWW and run away from her food. She lost a lot of weight but that's partly because the pre-surgery blood panel showed she is also hyperthyroid. Poor little thing.
Old February 1st, 2015, 11:18 AM
Senior Contributor

I hate that they don't make an antibiotic palatable to cats. Seriously people, we put a man on the moon, why is this so hard?

It wouldn't happen to be Antirobe drops that she's getting, would it? Had to give those to one of my guys after a dental and subsequently vowed never again to subject a cat to such horror. I tasted the drops myself, just a tiny pin-prick amount, and it was the most bitter, foul, foam-at-the-mouth thing ever. My cat hated me after 1 day and would run every time he saw me. After day 2, he was hiding in the closet 24/7, only coming out to have diarrhea in front of me. Called the vet and we agreed to give him something else instead (pills I could crush up and mix with baby food). Phew!

Good luck! I feel for ya (and Itty Bitty Kitty).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 1st, 2015, 01:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor kitty ! Can you mix the med into her food or a little milk ?
Old February 1st, 2015, 01:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Ack!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 1st, 2015, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor

It's Clavamox, liquid. I have to squirt it in her mouth to make sure she gets it all. Because she's not eating well yet due to the hyperthyroid condition. Plus Bitty was feral and does not handle well even though I've had her for 17 years now and she's my baby. At the Vet's it took three of us to get a blood draw.
Old February 1st, 2015, 07:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I had a cat like that . I had to wrap a towel around him and have all his paws in there tight when I gave him med . He called me every name in the book .
I hope you kitty will feel better .