Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old October 15th, 2005, 04:29 AM
Not-so-senior member

Beware of dog signs???

There has been some discussion of these around here lately, although the debate isn't really anything new. Do they really increase your liability if you post them? What if the sign is meant to be a joke? We have a GSD and a gate at the end of our driveway, so when I saw this sign, I thought 'how funny'--but not so funny if others take it seriously. What do you think? Our yard isn't fully fenced by the way, and the dog is never roaming--he's let out on a trolley and is off lead only for play and training. We also live in the middle of nowhere--Literally--so the debate is more academic than anything. There's no one around to see it!

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807

Last edited by shannonRN; October 15th, 2005 at 04:39 AM.
Old October 15th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Personal servant to Joey

I think that law is ridiculous if you ask me. If in fact it is actually true We have a beware of dog sign and weve had it even when didnt have a dog. If someone is stupid enough to chance going into your yard then in my opinion they you should not be liable as the warning is there for that reason

People should be able to protect their property, not saying the dog should be aggressive. But as far as any intruder the dog should be aggressive to them.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old October 15th, 2005, 09:36 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

I have a sticker on my back patio door, more as a joke but I'm sure anyone who wanted to break in would think twice. It says "Boxers don't dial 911"
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old October 15th, 2005, 11:02 PM

I think both your signs are great. I had one once, but can't find it again, that said Never Mind the Dog, Beware of the Owner.

I'm not sure where the information came from that posting a "Beware of Dog" sign increases you liablitiy. I fail to see how it can. I would think the liablility would be greater if you did have a dog and no sign and someone came onto the property and the dog reacted. If I am wrong can someone enlighten me as to why?

I post "Beware of Dog" signs on both my front and back gates, because I do want people to know that a dog lives here - do I know for sure how she will react if a stranger comes into the yard, sees a GSD and panics - no, also I don't want strangers coming in to my yard without my permission. There is no "good" reason for them to be there. The sign is also there as a deterent for B&E's. We've had several on the street over the last year.
Old October 15th, 2005, 11:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonRN
Do they really increase your liability if you post them?
No it doesn't.And it even states that in the Dog Owners Liability Act.Not the sign part,but the protecting part.

I have a GSD also.And I have a sign up.And I have encouraged other family members and friends to also have one put up.And know others who already have signs up.There is a house around the corner at my dads,the sign is actually cute.It's a cartoon of a Bulldog.And it says Beware of Dog.

As I have stated in another thread,I have been to a few calls where an intruder has broken in and a dog has protected the house and family members.There were no charges laid.

Think about it.Do you think that person who broke into your house will be stupid enough to have YOU charged after what he/she has just done?

The sign is just a warning letting people know that there is a dog on the premisses.

My sister has a sign also.And she has 3 Siberians and a Border Collie.Lets just say the Huskies would open the door for the intruder...LOL...Mind you,it would be the Border Collie who would do all the protecting..LOL

As for that sign you posted,my brother has that one......

Also,the signs seem to discourage those who B&E.Mind you,you still get the stupid ones who think they are brave enough to do it.Reason being is they don't know the breed of dog that's in the house.
Old October 15th, 2005, 11:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoNScamp
I would think the liablility would be greater if you did have a dog and no sign and someone came onto the property and the dog reacted.
Sign or no sign,it wouldn't make a difference.

There is no law that states you "must" have a sign up if you have a dog.
Old October 16th, 2005, 06:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, I don't know how it is in Canada, but here in the States, I know that I have heard on the news of people being injured while breaking into someone's home, sueing the homeowner, and winning large monetary settlements! I am not sure how a jury could possibly justify giving money to someone under those circumstances, but if they can, I am sure that they could justify charging and convicting me if my dog attacked someone stealing from my home.

But hey, I am sure it has something to do with civil rights and being politically correct.
Old October 16th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Senior Contributor

I have heard the same about putting up beware of dog signs being an admission that your dog which is vicious. Of course it's really just a notification that a dog lives there.

How about the signs they put up on streets where deaf children live. ‘Caution – deaf child’. I personally have never been attacked by a deaf child but I’ll tell you, I usually put the hammer down and get past that street as fast as I can.

And those deer crossing signs should be moved because obviously from the amount of dead deer it's not safe to cross there.
Old October 16th, 2005, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twodogsandacat
I have heard the same about putting up beware of dog signs being an admission that your dog which is vicious. Of course it's really just a notification that a dog lives there.

How about the signs they put up on streets where deaf children live. ‘Caution – deaf child’. I personally have never been attacked by a deaf child but I’ll tell you, I usually put the hammer down and get past that street as fast as I can.

And those deer crossing signs should be moved because obviously from the amount of dead deer it's not safe to cross there.
I'm laughing so hard the dog has gotten off the bed and come into the office to see what's going on.
Old October 16th, 2005, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott
Well, I don't know how it is in Canada, but here in the States, I know that I have heard on the news of people being injured while breaking into someone's home, sueing the homeowner, and winning large monetary settlements! I am not sure how a jury could possibly justify giving money to someone under those circumstances, but if they can, I am sure that they could justify charging and convicting me if my dog attacked someone stealing from my home.

But hey, I am sure it has something to do with civil rights and being politically correct.
Our civil litigation system is different from yours. We can't sue for the things that you can in the states.

I know of an instance in Toronto where a women was unlocking her back door and a man attemtped to attack not realizing her dog was with her. The dog went at the guy, he was arrested nothing was done about the dog reacting to the incident.
Old October 16th, 2005, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b
Sign or no sign,it wouldn't make a difference.

There is no law that states you "must" have a sign up if you have a dog.
Mona I am of the impression that you work for either animal services or the spca and investigate incidents involving dogs. What would happen if someone broke into a house and the dog attacked or if someone opened a gate and went onto someones property and the dog attacked, sign or no sign?

Me expectation when I put up the signs was that people wouldn't "trespass" and would knock on my front door if they wanted access.

Also want to mention an incident. My sister had someone the cops were chasing run into her backyard. One of the cops that was chasing the guy opened her screen door to run through her house. She has three Chows, if my sister hadn't been at the door and told him to stop as he opened it a strange person running into the house would have caused the male at least to go after the person?

While I'm asking you questions - What about a situation where you have the signs up and the gates are locked and someone climbs over the gate which is 7-8 feet high to get into the yard?

Last edited by LoNScamp; October 16th, 2005 at 07:49 PM. Reason: add a word
Old October 19th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I have a doormat that says "Ring door bell & run...the dog needs exercise"

Funny as hell, but I live in a neighbourhood with lots of ppl who hate dogs (weird I know!!) so it's not all that funny to them!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old October 19th, 2005, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoNScamp
Mona I am of the impression that you work for either animal services or the spca and investigate incidents involving dogs.
*** Whispers*** Mona's a cop..

Hey, anybody have that sign about how the dogs are family and if you don't like it feel free to leave?
(Only all rhymey and cute?)
Old October 19th, 2005, 09:45 PM

My sister's sign in the window says...
"Beware. Ferocious Chiuaua"
....and it's no joke...he's worst than my Dobie!
Old October 19th, 2005, 10:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Man you whisper loud...LOL..........

Quote:
What would happen if someone broke into a house and the dog attacked or if someone opened a gate and went onto someones property and the dog attacked, sign or no sign?
This is your property and your dog is protecting YOU.This goes with or without the sign.As I have stated before,there is no law stating you must have a sign.I'm just saying thet it's just better to have a sign up that's warning people you have a dog.

Quote:
Me expectation when I put up the signs was that people wouldn't "trespass" and would knock on my front door if they wanted access.
If you don't want anyone to trespass,then put up a "do not trespass" sign.A "beware of dog" sign has nothing to do with stopping someone from trespassing....

Quote:
While I'm asking you questions - What about a situation where you have the signs up and the gates are locked and someone climbs over the gate which is 7-8 feet high to get into the yard?
Oh I have had this happen to me twice.My gate is alway locked,fence is 6' and the idiot still thought it was ok to hop over the fence.Boy was he in shock when both my GSD's greeted him.And not nicely either.Well,not nicely from Yukon... ..And the second time was not to long ago.Tron got a hold of his arm.Tron(retired Police Dog)was trained to "hold"...And that he did.And no I was not charged by either idiot.
Old October 19th, 2005, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona_b
Man you whisper loud...LOL..........
That's as small as the size goes! (Man, she's gonna boot my hiney, isn't she? )
Old October 20th, 2005, 01:29 AM

Quote:

Hey, anybody have that sign about how the dogs are family and if you don't like it feel free to leave?
(Only all rhymey and cute?)
I saw a poem I think about the above, I will try and track it down again and post it. Thanks for letting me in on the "secret". lol
Old October 20th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
That's as small as the size goes! (Man, she's gonna boot my hiney, isn't she? )

No silly.You'll just have to buy me a coffee and donut if come your way........

MMMMM,I like blueberry fritters.....
Old October 20th, 2005, 08:15 AM

Done and done.
Old October 20th, 2005, 08:21 AM
owned by Tucker

I read that some where that too if you post a sign that you are admitting to the dog being vicious. I have never posted a sign with my dogs, with Travis you would have found out really quickly that he was there, very big bark. With Tucker he would probably lick you to death.
Old October 20th, 2005, 10:09 AM

A house a few blocks down has a sign similar to the one at the top of the thread.

What's really funny is that the dog is a great Dane and the yard is not much bigger than a postage stamp so even if the dog's at the door, he's already at the gate

When my dog was just a pup, we walked by that house once while the dog was out. It's surrounded by tall hedges that I couldn't see past, but as soon as we walked even with the gate, there was a deep loud "WOOOF." right beside us. Startled us both!
Old October 20th, 2005, 11:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Done and done.
Thanks Prin......
Old October 20th, 2005, 11:15 PM

Don't forget to wash your hands after the donut- we don't want you having sticky fingers in an emergency situation.