Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old July 21st, 2009, 07:50 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh I am so happy . Nice big solid poops generally means the intestines are not constricted.

for Howie.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Happiness is solid poop
I certainly know,since my Rocky has had runny poop for a long while,it's now semi-hard
Old July 21st, 2009, 10:24 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Think positive, smithduke!! Chemo is hard on the body--Howie just needs a little time to heal.

for more good days than bad! I hope the vet visit on Thursday goes well. We'll be thinking of the two of you!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 28th, 2009, 09:29 AM

Hi All,

Howie is done with his IV chemo but because he still has the same symptoms, the vet has put him on Leukeran, a chemo treatment in pill form. His last visit to the vet showed he lost a very slight amount of weight, despite eating two to three cans of cat food a day. The good news is that his blood levels were normal compared to his previous visit and his intestines are not as hard, when palpated, as before. Howie is still very weak but I've noticed since the chemo has stopped, he's getting a teeny bit stronger.

I wish I had better news to tell you. :sad: Whatever happens, Howie knows he's loved and he's in his glory because he gets to eat whenever he wants!!

to all!!!

“The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different.”—Hippocrates
Old July 28th, 2009, 10:18 PM

It's great news about the blood tests & the abdominal palpitation

the Leukeran kicks what's left & Howie's back to feeling more like himself soon

for you & Howie

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That is good news about the blood work, smithduke! I hope the results signal a general improvement in Howie's health!

Hang in there! Both of you!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 29th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Smithduke,hopefully Howie will regain more of his strenght as the days go by,but like you say,he knows he's loved and gets to eat as much as he wants,what else does a kitty need
We all wish he could have been cured,but whether he lives another 6 months or 10 yrs,he's a very lucky kitty to have you in his life.
Old August 8th, 2009, 11:27 PM

Hi. Sorry for being so out of touch!

Howie's not doing well and hasn't responded to his treatments.

Tonight was horrible and very upsetting for all of us! Howie had "projectile" diarrhea all over our upstairs hallway. I'm balling my eyes out as I'm writing this!! My poor boy is dying and my hubby is upstairs trying to clean things up! When I offered my help, my hubby just yelled at me.

I'm devastated that we have to take him in soon to end his suffering! Yet, he's looking at me right now, wondering why I'm so upset! Howie is weak but otherwise he's eating well and is very, very affectionate. Even so, i know what we need to do. This really kills me!!!

Thank you all for guiding me through this! I wish the outcome was better!!!!!! I hate 2009 right now!!!

xxxooo to you all!

“The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different.”—Hippocrates
Old August 8th, 2009, 11:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm so sorry things are going badly, smithduke! Stay strong for Howie, though--time enough to grieve when he's gone and right now he needs you to stay strong.

You're all in my thoughts and prayers

Old August 8th, 2009, 11:45 PM

smithduke I am so sorry Howie has taken a down turn :sad:

You have been such a wonderful mum to Howie ensuring he gets the best treatment, know that when you let him go it will be the best decision for him and Howie will not be alone he has friends waiting to greet him on the otherside

my thoughts are with you

Old August 9th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Smithduke,I too am in tears writing this:sad:I was soo hoping little Howie would recover.
Their little bodies can only take so much and both you and Howie have put up a valiant fight,cancer is an ugly,nasty disease.
I know you will do what's right for Howie,it's never,ever easy,but we'll be here for you,whatever the outcome
Old August 10th, 2009, 11:33 PM
Catlover2

So very sorry to hear of the latest turn of events. Howie knows he is much loved, and I'm sure you'll know when it is "time" when Howie is no longer enjoying his quality of life. It's never ever easy....warm thoughts coming your way in your decision
Old August 11th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awwww, poor Howie, could this just be a blip in his healing from chemo?

Sending some your way and a .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 25th, 2009, 10:53 PM

Hi My Friends,

Again, sorry for my lack of communication.

We're on vacation right now in Myrtle Beach and my sister is taking care of the cats.

She called us tonight and said Howie has taken a turn for the worse. He eats and then has diarrhea almost immediately. At the same time he's meowing loudly. Sadly, we've made the decision to let our boy go, to ease his pain. My sister will be taking him to the vet tomorrow. I just wish we were there to say goodbye our wonderful friend and companion. He is a great cat and we'll all miss him dearly.

You've all helped me through the past four months and I just want to say how much I appreciate it! It's been a long road and I don't know what I'd have done without your support! I feel badly that I haven't contributed to helping others on this site recently, but losing three cats within four months has been difficult. Even though they were in their 20's and Howie almost 15, doesn't make it any easier.

On a bit of a bright note, we've noticed a beautiful grey and white cat in our yard. My hubby, the softy, has been feeding him and giving him water for about a month now. Each day he gets closer and closer. We gave my sister instructions to be sure to feed this kitty while we're away. I have a feeling we're going to getting a new addition to our cat family. We've check around and no one is claiming him. When a door closes a window opens. Maybe this was meant to be.

Again, thank you again and when I start to heal a bit more, I'll be back here trying to help out.

Old August 26th, 2009, 12:01 AM

I'm so sorry smithduke :sad:

Old August 26th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so sorry to hear that. I was really hoping his cancer would go into remission :sad:

to you.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old August 26th, 2009, 07:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Smithduke,you certainly fought for Howie and loved him,some things are just beyond our control,but little Howie will have peace now,no more pain.

When you come home,another little needy kitty will be waiting,to ease your pain of losing Howie,
I am certain Howie will approve.
little Howie
Old August 26th, 2009, 09:31 AM

Thanks,

I know it's for the best. He certainly was a wonderful cat!

Thanks for your condolences!

Old August 26th, 2009, 10:13 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

I'm so sorry, smithduke :sad:

You fought so hard for him. He was a very lucky boy to have such a strong advocate.

Howie

Keep us updated on the little newbie, too. Howie would be pleased that you're going to make room for this little one in need.

Old August 26th, 2009, 07:26 PM

sweet Howie He is playing at the Rainbow Bridge with those who've gone before