Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 2nd, 2004, 09:17 PM

Dog shivering and not being himself

My dog is the hyperactive puppy who does not know how to lie down longer than 3 minutes. Tonight he has been lying right at my feet all night panting (it is not hot here) and staring at me. I went and lied down on the couch and he jpoined me. Well petting him I noticed his body was vibrating is kind of like a pulsating way every couple of seconds. I came in my office after I finsihed crying asking him what was wrong (like he can answer me) to search the net and have found nothing. But this board I visited a long time ago. He is now lying beside me with a blanket on him (surprisingly not chewing it like he normally would. My friend told me to feel his nose and it is hot she said he probably has a could. Is she right. I can not afford a trip to the vets I have $4 in the bank $36 left on the credit card and owe my vet $100 as is from the last emergency we had. PLease help!
Old May 2nd, 2004, 10:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I wish I could help you - maybe someone else here can.

Just want to tell you that nose thing is not accurate, and that dogs do not get "colds" in the same sense that we do.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:04 AM

Hey thanks for that tip about the nose. I havent noticed him shaking anymore tonight and he's just all mopey and sucky still. Im hoping whatever it was passed and he will befine in the morning. It freaked me out though I cna tell you that much. He is my baby and I would fall apart if anything happened to him.
Old May 5th, 2004, 02:53 AM

If he has diahreah it could be worms.

My new 5 week old was shaking like that once and then it stopped. She then had diahreah and I took her and the diahreah to the vet in the morning, they did a fecal test and it turned out to be some kind of worm that lives in the stomach lining that would've killed her.
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Ummmmmm,you have a new 5 week old pup?
Old May 5th, 2004, 11:52 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

5 week old pup?
Old May 7th, 2004, 01:08 PM

Exclamation Going through the same thing

My dog is currently going through the same thing...the shivers, the fever and not being himself. I noticed the shivering a few days ago but today is really bad and he is looking at me with big puppy dog eyes that are screaming "help me!" I don't know what to do. Of course my vet is not in today at all. He did this before and it lasted a few weeks. We went through every test possible and everything came back normal. After 3 antibiotics and 3 IV fluids and about $300, he was better.

Does anyone know if you can give dogs aspirin (baby aspirin)? Some say yes, others say no. I don't know how else to bring down his fever. If I can give it to him, how many milligrams for a 15lb mini-dauchund?

Please help!!! Thanks!!
Old May 7th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Dawnmarie, without knowing what is wrong with your dog, it would be very irresponsible of anyone here to recommend any medication.

Quote:
My new 5 week old was
What kind of person would give away a 5 week old puppy?
Old May 7th, 2004, 01:38 PM

Dawn marie I was told it is better to give a dog tylenol then aspirin. I was told to give my dude one tylenol and he is 120 pounds so take it from there for your dogs size.
Old May 7th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottieMom
Dawn marie I was told it is better to give a dog tylenol then aspirin. I was told to give my dude one tylenol and he is 120 pounds so take it from there for your dogs size.

NEVER give a dog or cat Tylenol! Acetaminophen ( Tylenol) can be lethal..especially to cats but it is processed differently then us humans process it..actually, wrong choice of words, we all process it the same way, throught the liver and kidneys only dogs and cats can be poisoned this way. Only in extreme terminal disease cases have we used Acetaminophen in dogs (ONLY), 250 mg Acetaminophen Compounded w/ codiene, but only extreme cases.
There are better ways to bring a fever down without risking death from was at first a cure...Dypirone is the first choice, consult with your vet.
Old May 7th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

OMG Concur with Karin you cannot give dog Tylenol!! Pls don't give.
Old May 7th, 2004, 02:31 PM
Senior Contributor

NEVER EVER give your dog or cat Tylonal.

RottieMom,who on earth told you to do that?...It sure wasn't a vet...
Old May 7th, 2004, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Tylenol? Who told you this - the same person who told you that a hot nose means a dog has a cold? PLEASE do not listen to this person where your dog's health is concerned! And please tell him/her to STOP giving ignorant advice that could kill an animal!!
Old May 7th, 2004, 03:33 PM
banned user

Holy Moly...and I thought I gave crappy advise! Nope no Tylenol.

Asprin (81mg) is alright? I give that to the oldest when she is sore. But only when she is sore.

I had Motzi from 5 weeks. But and there is a huge but here. I knew the woman was beating them and had a gut feeling they were sick. There was something in me that if she would have tried to take her out of my arms I would have flipped out. She was taken to the vet ASAP and then we were in for a harsh reality. She was very ill...there was abuse. Had I not have taken her then she would have been in the dumpster with the others. Would I do it for a "Normal" dog....no way jose!!!!!! Goldy was 12 wks and Liz was 6 months.
Old May 7th, 2004, 04:16 PM

Amaruq,

Vet has told me in the past aspirin is alright - adjust to weight of course!!

Michelle
Old May 8th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmt489
Amaruq,

Vet has told me in the past aspirin is alright - adjust to weight of course!!

Michelle

Most vets here still use aspirin, (in low dosages) for ouchy dogs too. On a as needed basis also. Most the vet's I know will only recommend aspirin IF the dog has no prior problems with digestive upset. Steel stomach syndrome to be exact...some people can take it like I can, and then Ciara cannot.

I have many friends who's dogs are taking aspirin occasionally and it works fine for them. Even some vets use it for their own dog(s), it all depends on the animal.
I wish Ciara was one of those...