Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old October 27th, 2010, 01:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Unhappy Alas, dear warbler tree, I knew you well...

Took me a bit this morning to see what was out of place...but then I noticed one of my favorite trees was leaning... Too much wind...too much water...too many moles softening the ground.

Name:  one.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  176.3 KB

Name:  two.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  177.7 KB

Whoops...just a few minutes later, it's much worse! The roots are threatening to take out the chain link when the wind topples it!

Name:  six.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  157.4 KB

Time for the rescue crew!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 27th, 2010, 01:43 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Friends to the rescue!!! R & S!!!!
Name:  rescue crew 2.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  137.2 KB

Name:  rescue crew 3.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  140.3 KB

Not only did they spare the chain link, but the small fence inside the chain link that separates the basement yard from the big yard! R managed to get the mesh off it before the tree came down and the trunks missed the poles

But alas, the warbler tree is no more...

Name:  seven.JPG
Views: 206
Size:  158.8 KB

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 27th, 2010, 01:51 PM
Senior Contributor

its always sad to see a tree come down, even though you know it must. do you burn wood? is that type any good to burn? We had a large elm tree that split (our tree cabin was in it) and I had hubs cut some of it in 5 foot lengths that I pulled with the 4-wheeler to the side of our yard where I feed all the critters its about 3 feet wide and I made it part of the feeding station, is there a way you can do that too?
Old October 27th, 2010, 02:00 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

It's a sappy hemlock so probably not good burning wood for much except external wood furnaces. I may offer the wood to the fellas that helped save the fence since they both have furnaces like that...

We already have an oak that came down outside the fence that I use for a feeder They really like it back there! Birds and deer!

I always see lots of warblers in the hemlocks, though, and the bigger one to the right of it in the pic is slated to come down when the ground gets hard. It 'self-prunes'--drops huge branches at unpredictable times...or the branches crack off and hang forever (in that last pic, you can see a rusty-colored branch hanging in the upright hemlock--it weighs enough to kill a human or a dog underneath when it lets go and is hanging by a thread of bark... So for next spring's warbler migration, I'll be hemlock-less inside the yard.

Old October 27th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Senior Contributor

oh that is sad, at the back of my lot I have appr 15 huge fir tree's that we planted as 10 inch "sticks" *L* 26 yrs ago, then are now about the height of your hemlock tree's....if the do end up building a subdivision behind us, we may end up losing them...I hope not, the fawns sleep under them and the rabbits take shelter there....
Old October 27th, 2010, 02:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Maybe they won't be clearing lots all the way to the property line. I hope your trees are left unscathed!!

Old October 27th, 2010, 06:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
It 'self-prunes'--drops huge branches at unpredictable times...or the branches crack off and hang forever (in that last pic, you can see a rusty-colored branch hanging in the upright hemlock--it weighs enough to kill a human or a dog underneath when it lets go and is hanging by a thread of bark... So for next spring's warbler migration, I'll be hemlock-less inside the yard.
That would be called a 'widow maker' here in Australia, Hazel,although here it's the huge gum tree branches that fall and kill people.

Condolences on losing such a lovely tree but wow, what timing, being able to catch it on film. Lovely area you live in.
Old October 27th, 2010, 07:14 PM
Doggie Wench

Warbler Tree

Trees coming down sadden me too .

Lucky that your friends were able to make it there in time before any damage was done to the fence though. Wanna borrow Penny to make wood chips of it all in no time ?