Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior dogs

Old November 29th, 2015, 01:18 PM

A new guy and Sparkles.

Hi folks.Its a pleasure to be onboard.
Sparkles is a 13-14 yr old lab/English setter mix.The most amazing of the five previous I've raised.
Things have taken a serious downturn in New Brunswick economically and I find myself,for the first time,unable to pay for a vet.In my mind a person SHOULD have the means to sustain a pets health no matter what. I cannot as of late.
Regardless my question is: Sparky has a skin tag on his eyelid.It is "just barely" touching the eyeball.(if I pull his bottom lid down a bit it is obvious that it's not touching or growing inside the eyelid...YET).His one eye on occasion runs a wee bit.Hes a nervous breed and very self-aware regarding my checking him for anything but he does allow me to place a warm cloth on it which seems to comfort him a bit.It is approx 2mm wide and 4mm high.It isn't going high enough to obstruct his pupil but on occasion will paw at it a bit.
Is it possible to tie a silk thread on the tag being so close to the eyeball?
Old November 29th, 2015, 03:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

My experience with eyelid 'tags' tells me that they can be pretty vascular. If injured, they bleed profusely. I wouldn't recommend tying it off that way--better to let it be for now and save a few dollars a week until you can afford a vet call. If it's bothering him, best to have it seen sooner rather than later, but I wouldn't try to take care of it on your own. Eyes are too delicate and too much can go wrong--and then you'd have an emergency vet bill to deal with...

Would love to see some pics of Sparkles, btw, if you have some to share!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 29th, 2015, 08:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe your vet would let you made some payments toward the bill , if you been seeing the same vet for 13 years I would think they would let you bring your dog in. I agree it not a good idea trying to remove the skin tag , your dog could pull on the thread it his paw and really hurt this eye. I second a photo of your furry friend .
Old November 30th, 2015, 04:20 PM

Hello and welcome to the board.
I was wondering if possibly the problem you're having could be an eye problem called Cherry Eye. If it's caught early enough, there is a good possibility that you would be able to rectify the problem without surgery. Usually, it's in younger dogs.
I'm including a web site that could give you a bit of an idea of things that can be done if this is what is wrong.

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites...-your-dog.aspx

Google Cherry Eye in dogs and have a look at some of the pictures and see if it fits the problem. If it is Cherry Eye, try other alternatives before surgery. Hopefully this might give you some ideas. Messing with this type of problem on your own without seeking medical advice, could put you into a big bill of expense. If it is Cherry Eye, it could cost you just south of a thousand bucks for the operation. A friend of ours had it done about 3 years ago and it was expensive.
Old November 30th, 2015, 06:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I just pulled a tick off one of our dogs--not on the eyelid, but it was about 2mm x 4 mm in size. Made me think of your dog, Gergraves... How long has your dog had the tag? It isn't a tick, is it? (Although, that would be a self-resolving problem in the end as it would eventually fall off.)

I know, I know--a long shot, but I thought I'd put it out there!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 30th, 2015, 09:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I just pulled a tick off one of our dogs--not on the eyelid, but it was about 2mm x 4 mm in size. Made me think of your dog, Gergraves... How long has your dog had the tag? It isn't a tick, is it? (Although, that would be a self-resolving problem in the end as it would eventually fall off.)

I know, I know--a long shot, but I thought I'd put it out there!
Marty got a lot of ticks on his face from poking around in ground and bushes hunting for chipmunks . That would be great if the OP dog only had tick , that is easy to take care of . But if is a tick the dog should be tested for Lyme
Old December 1st, 2015, 08:55 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

just wanted to say welcome to the foruum
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter