Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old October 14th, 2009, 02:48 AM

Red face pottying in the house and wont play with toys

I recently got a sweet female Pom-chi. She is precious and will be a year old in November. the people told me she was potty trained but got her home and shes not. i have tryed several things even taking her out for no reason to try to just happen to catch her going outside and then praise her but that never happens. she will wait until we go back inside and then will either hide and pee or just squat right down in front of me and poop. although lately it has been more of the first.

i also went and bought her three or four toys. she wont even look at them. i got her to sniff one of them and then she just turned and went the other way.

i have no other problems with her. she doesnt bark or growl and usually she isnt even agressive with other animals. male dogs are the only animals she has any agression towards. she takes baths with ease. she sits. doesnt jump on people.

i got her from a home where the lady said her young twins were always startling and scaring the dog. i dont know if that might have something to do with it or not but i am looking for any possible suggestions.
Old October 14th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Welcome to the forum Motorjunkie, I am sure you will find loads of help here for your training questions. One thing that is always said is to take your pet out after eating, sleeping, playing, take them to a spot where you want them to go and when they do praise, praise, praise.

We also require pictures, lots and lots of them...
Old October 14th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Senior Contributor

pottying in the

You need to start from scratch with her and teach her like she's an 8 wk. old pup. Limit her access to the entire house by keeping her in one room like the kitchen with her crate, food and chewies. Take her outside to the exact same spot each time upon waking, after eating, after playing and before bed. Walking her a couple of times a day will stimulate her to go potty and make sure to give her lots of praise and a tiny treat when she obliges. If her previous owner had young children then maybe there wasn't much time spent training this little girl. Ignore all her mistakes but praise all her successes.
Old October 14th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Sorasaurus

I agree with t.pettet...it sounds like you will have to start from scratch, Alongside the priase, make sure you seriously ignore her when she goes in the house, and clean it up when she is not there. Some people will tell you to "rub her nose in it" or "take her outside right after she goes" but to her this will mean "When I go in the house, I get attention!" Especially if she received a lot of negative attention from young kids, she may see it as a good thing(any attention is good attention). Also, have patience, some dogs take longer than others to potty train.
You may even want to really go basic and paper train her. If she is nervous and hides when she goes, it may be a good start to create a "safe place" for her to go, that is easy for you to clean up. Follow her lead and figure out where she goes most often, put papers down or training pads. Then when she is used to that you slowly move the papers to the door. I find this method takes longer and is less successful than crate training, but for your dog it might help.
I stress patience again! Having had two puppies from young ages in under a year, I have realized the importance of patience.
Old October 14th, 2009, 11:01 PM

i dont beleave in crating animals and there are no small rooms to secure her in.
Old October 14th, 2009, 11:05 PM

i have tryed the training pads. she will pee besie them on the floor. she is fine all night. when i was sick she slept right at my feet for almost 13 hours. didnt pee or poop in the house and didnt go any where but then when i got up i let her outside...she sniffed aroundfor a little then ran back in and then quickly ran into the living room and peed by the tv.
Old October 15th, 2009, 07:01 PM
Senior Contributor

pottying in the house

Since you don't believe in using a crate and there are no small rooms in your house then how do you expect to train her? Suppose you could leash her to you during your waking hrs. and keep a vigil for signs she has to go potty - umbilical training.
Old October 19th, 2009, 01:08 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I hope that the dog has had a vet exam to rule out any medical reasons for this.

If it's nothing medical, then you will have to revert to basic potty training. IMO puppy pads or paper training doesn't work - it teaches them that it's OK to potty in the house. While I agree you should never, ever rub the dogs nose in any mess they make - if you catch your dog in the act, give a firm "NO" and take the dog outside immediately. If you punish your dog for making a mess, they don't realize that it's the WHERE they went that you are mad it. They'll think that it's the waste itself and will start to hide to go potty so that their human doesn't see it.

Also, you need to clean each and every spot in the house with an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle. If the smell is still there, it will encourage the dog to continue to use those spots.

For the toys - she may not know what toys are for, or it could be that she's been punished for touching the kids toys and has learned to associate toys with bad things.

Tags
obidence, playing, potty training, toys, training