Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old September 10th, 2010, 10:26 AM

Can't find Iams Cat food

I'm new to this forum so hoping someone can help. I've noticed a couple of my local stores have run out of a lot of Iams cat food bags this week. Store people didn't know why. Is anyone else seeing this?
Old September 10th, 2010, 10:41 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

http://www.catinfo.org/#The_Safety_of_Dry_Food

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey

Last edited by Ford; September 10th, 2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old September 10th, 2010, 10:58 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy's dad View Post
I've noticed a couple of my local stores have run out of a lot of Iams cat food bags this week.
sorry but that's good news

as L4H said , first of all , dry food is not the best for cats. And I wouldn't buy any Iams products ... they were accused of animal cruelty when doing research. They also used to put dead animals in their food (was listed as ashes)
Old September 10th, 2010, 01:43 PM
-

It's probably because Proctor & Gamble has had another recall of the Iams brand .....

http://vetnutrition.blogspot.com/201...-slightly.html

Check out the Food Forum here for much better brands to choose from.
Old September 10th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

A blessing in disguise. If you need help picking a better food there are lots of really food smart cat people here and I am sure they could help you find a much better substitute. Just ask you will get great suggestions I personally cannot help I am a dog person. But my rule of thumb is if your vet or a grocery store sells it forget about it, it will not be high quality and what you pay for Iams you can get something better for the same money. BTW welcome to pets.ca
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:11 AM

I've noticed a lot of supply issues with Iams as well, and once they were completely out of what I needed, but I had enough at home so I never really asked about it.
According to their webpage, the recall includes Iams Veterinary dry food and the Eukanuba dry foods.

Did you ask at the customer service counter? It sounds like a distribution issue more than a problem with the food itself.
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
sorry but that's good news

as L4H said , first of all , dry food is not the best for cats. And I wouldn't buy any Iams products ... they were accused of animal cruelty when doing research. They also used to put dead animals in their food (was listed as ashes)
That's incorrect. Yes, they had animal cruelty going on and when called on it they cleaned up their act. Vicki Burns who was director of the Winnipeg Humane Society toured their facilities and said she was very pleased with how their facilities are run and saw no evidence of remaining cruelty. WHS uses IAMS food in the shelter now, and I spent many hours doing internet searches when someone questioned me about that. To my knowledge, the only so-called organization saying that about Iams nowadays is PETA, and I did a very extensive search on this about a year ago. PETA said some things but the only proof they provided was quite a few years old, and I could not find any evidence of it in the last five years. PETA is not an organization whose credibility I trust, I'd need to see more than just their word on it.

I think if you are going to tell people on here that they are feeding their pets from food that involves cruelty, provide proof. Recent proof.
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
That's incorrect. Yes, they had animal cruelty going on and when called on it they cleaned up their act. Vicki Burns who was director of the Winnipeg Humane Society toured their facilities and said she was very pleased with how their facilities are run and saw no evidence of remaining cruelty. WHS uses IAMS food in the shelter now, and I spent many hours doing internet searches when someone questioned me about that. To my knowledge, the only so-called organization saying that about Iams nowadays is PETA, and I did a very extensive search on this about a year ago. PETA said some things but the only proof they provided was quite a few years old, and I could not find any evidence of it in the last five years. PETA is not an organization whose credibility I trust, I'd need to see more than just their word on it.

I think if you are going to tell people on here that they are feeding their pets from food that involves cruelty, provide proof. Recent proof.
I looked at their website and the ingredients of their "top of the line" premium foods - both canned and dry. Neither would make it in my front door.

The dry is full of corn in various forms and some lovely chicken by products (you know, the parts of the chicken that they can't use for anything else so they dump it in petfoods.).

The canned is worse! Meat by products (which can include euthanized animals and/or roadkill) and chicken by products are both listed in the top 4 ingredients.
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott View Post
I looked at their website and the ingredients of their "top of the line" premium foods - both canned and dry. Neither would make it in my front door.

The dry is full of corn in various forms and some lovely chicken by products (you know, the parts of the chicken that they can't use for anything else so they dump it in petfoods.).

The canned is worse! Meat by products (which can include euthanized animals and/or roadkill) and chicken by products are both listed in the top 4 ingredients.

"Can include"??? Give me a break.
Proof please that IAMS food contains "roadkill" or currently uses inhumane methods in testing and preparation.

There is a lot of judgment in this site about "what I would feed my animal", etc and people have a right to their opinions on that. The reality is that many pet owners use these products and if you are going to level accusations of cruelty and improper food practices, you should provide proof. \

What you like or don't like and what is nutritionally optimal, etc - does not equal cruelty or using "roadkill" in food.
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:32 AM
-

Driver8....of course the WHS use Iams, Iams sponsers them as they do the OSPCA. They are Humane Socities and have limited funds. It doesn't mean that it is good food though.
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Driver8....of course the WHS use Iams, Iams sponsers them as they do the OSPCA. They are Humane Socities and have limited funds. It doesn't mean that it is good food though.

Good food is one thing.
Not everyone can afford the brands pushed by the members of this site, and most pet owners just buy their pet food at the same place they buy their people food. It's not something to be snobby about, but it is just reality.
Many people do use this food. Like it or not.

If people are going to say things like "animal cruelty" and suggest that roadkill is used in the food, that is not about "good food versus crap food".

I eat KD sometimes, which is crap food for people. No one suggests that I am contributing to cruelty by buying it.
Old September 13th, 2010, 11:49 AM
-

Quote:
Not everyone can afford the brands pushed by the members of this site, and most pet owners just buy their pet food at the same place they buy their people food. It's not something to be snobby about, but it is just reality.

I agree with you that people should only buy what they can afford.

If people are going to say things like "animal cruelty" and suggest that roadkill is used in the food, that is not about "good food versus crap food".

Proctor and Gamble have a history of testing on animals with not very good outcomes. All you have to do is google and you will find a slew of articles.

I eat KD sometimes, which is crap food for people. No one suggests that I am contributing to cruelty by buying it.
Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea if you looked deeper into their practices.
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wasn't there a link to a video made showing dead dogs, etc going into a rendering plant for pet food? I can't remember what thread that was posted on.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:35 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

My BIL owned and operated a dead stock removal business for many many years. Quite obviously from the name of the business alone he picked up dead animals. Normally dead stock from farms or whatever else the farmer decided to throw into the pile. He stripped the hides off the animals for use in the garment industry (shoes, jackets, etc), the bones would go into bone barrels, blood into other barrels, the rest in even more barrels. Every second day or so all of this would be picked up for delivery to its' specified location. Most went to rendering plants to be used for pet food. Sound appetizing yet?

Just a few of the sites readily available for perusing.....

http://www.rense.com/general70/dead.htm

http://www.jivdaya.org/rendering_plants.htm

http://www.outoftheearth.com/petfood.htm

http://www.albionmonitor.com/9712a/petfood.html

And my favourite line....... When was the last time you saw a cat in the middle of a corn field munching on a cob of corn?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Good food is one thing.

By the way not every food we suggest is expensive actually Iams is expensive for a bag of corn with a little rendered meat in it. But if you check Costco Kirkland food it is cheaper and much higher quality. We are not snobs but you have a chip on your shoulder my friend do the research before saying we do not know what we are talking about. The charges against these two are documented. Do the research Iams has had these cruelty charges leveled at them more than once.

Last edited by Ford; September 13th, 2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:52 PM
-

Quote:

The reality is that many pet owners use these products and if you are going to level accusations of cruelty and improper food practices, you should provide proof.

Provide proof ? I've done my researches , you should do the same.

As for the food "quality" , I've just looked it up , a few of their cat dry foods , you know , just in case they got better without my knowing and the main first 2 ingredients are "chicken by-products and corn".

it sucked years ago , and guess what ? it still sucks !
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:57 PM

I don't have a chip on my shoulder. I do think this site puts off a lot of people with some of the food rhetoric, but that may be for a different thread.

I just think that in amongst the "you should use this food, it's better" posts, there should also be acknowledgment of what really goes on out there for many pet owners. Many, many people use these foods. I'm not saying they are the best foods.

The allegations made here are that millions of unsuspecting pet owners are contributing to a pet food manufacturer's cruelty, and I think if you are going to allege that, you need to provide current, up to date proof. Not "we know" from 20 years ago.

I have asked for current proof that IAMS uses cruel methods in its facilities.

Out of the links someone posted above, only one contained info as recent as 2006, and it was mainly allegations with no proof. Its "proof" is a description of writing by a reporter who wrote on the subject in 1997.

Again, saying that ____ food is lesser quality ingredients is different from proving there is cruelty and roadkill used in it.

Last edited by driver8; September 13th, 2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
By the way not every food we suggest is expensive actually Iams is expensive for a bag of corn with a little rendered meat in it. But if you check Costco Kirkland food it is cheaper and much higher quality. We are not snobs but you have a chip on your shoulder my friend do the research before saying we do not know what we are talking about. The charges against these two are documented. Do the research Iams has had these cruelty charges leveled at them more than once.
Absolutely! Homemade raw can be as cheap as the crappiest of foods, made appropriately, it can be the healthiest for pets too.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Last edited by Ford; September 13th, 2010 at 07:41 PM.
Old September 13th, 2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Provide proof ? I've done my researches , you should do the same.
I have, I couldn't find anything within the last 5 years. Can you post or email me the links you have?
Old September 13th, 2010, 01:04 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Oh I'm sorry driver8. I was just showing some sites showing the type of meats used in dog/cat food. I think that is irrefutable?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 13th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:

The allegations made here are that millions of unsuspecting pet owners are contributing to a pet food manufacturer's cruelty, and I think if you are going to allege that, you need to provide current, up to date proof. Not "we know" from 20 years ago.

It is cruel to knowingly manufacture a pet food that is NOT healthy or appropriate for the animals it is intended for.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 13th, 2010, 01:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Many, many people use these foods.
That doesn't make them good foods, it just means that those "many many" people probably don't have a clue about what really goes into a bag-o-Iams. From my experience, once people do learn the truth, most eagerly switch to something better.

Quote:
I have, I couldn't find anything within the last 5 years. Can you post or email me the links you have?
Why does it matter so much WHEN this was done, the issue is that it even occurred at ALL. Just because they got caught and may (or may not) have stopped, you would still support a company that at one time thought torturing animals was an acceptable policy?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 13th, 2010, 01:13 PM
-

Quote:
I would but you choose to be against Peta , to close your eyes on everything they posted about that company. You obviously have your mind made up about this , including saying their food is good quality.

and you keep saying road kill ... I never mentioned anything about road kills. dead animals are not all road kills.
Old September 13th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Even some types of Fancy Feast are better than Iams. And you can't say that FF is expensive.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old September 13th, 2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I would but you choose to be against Peta , to close your eyes on everything they posted about that company. You obviously have your mind made up about this , including saying their food is good quality.

and you keep saying road kill ... I never mentioned anything about road kills. dead animals are not all road kills.
Someone else said road kill, if you read the thread.
Honestly, I can't even find real proof in the PETA page, just opinion and allegation. I don't mis-trust the info because it's PETA, I mistrust it because no one ELSE says it to back it up. These are the people who throw blood or red paint on people in public and stuff, yes, they lose credibility in my eyes.

I don't say anything about the quality of IAMS food. I simply object to non-proven accusations of animal cruelty when so many people use the product.

AGAIN. Saying it's not the best quality food is not the same as proving cruelty.

I think people should be careful what allegations they make against specific foods. If IAMS used cruelty in the past, sure some people would choose to not use the product. But if they aren't using any cruelty now, I think it's a personal judgment call if people are comfortable using their products now. I don't see anything wrong with people who use IAMS now if there is no cruelty now.

If a difference was made in past practices, it's a good thing.
Old September 13th, 2010, 02:04 PM
-

driver8 , I really think you should start researching about pet food.

"Pet owners often rely on veterinarians to recommend brands and types of pet food. But the food we give to our pets, including the stuff made by companies commonly recommended by veterinarians, is a slow-acting poison, contaminated with toxins and chemicals, and hardly adequate nutritionally. It's made from the garbage of our own food-production processes, including dead, dying, decaying and decomposing animals. In some places, notably in Quebec but also in many states of the Union, even dead dogs and cats are picked up by rendering companies and mixed in with the rest of the unappetizing mess - along with their flea collars, identification tags and even the plastic bags used to carry their carcasses. "

this is from here and no , it's not Peta http://www.katinkahesselink.net/other/danten1.html

and for more reading from Charles Danten , don't know if they have it in english but I guess you'll have to do your own research : "Un vétérinaire en colère: Essai sur la condition animale"
Old September 13th, 2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:

"Pet owners often rely on veterinarians to recommend brands and types of pet food. But the food we give to our pets, including the stuff made by companies commonly recommended by veterinarians, is a slow-acting poison, contaminated with toxins and chemicals, and hardly adequate nutritionally. It's made from the garbage of our own food-production processes, including dead, dying, decaying and decomposing animals. In some places, notably in Quebec but also in many states of the Union, even dead dogs and cats are picked up by rendering companies and mixed in with the rest of the unappetizing mess - along with their flea collars, identification tags and even the plastic bags used to carry their carcasses. "

this is from here and no , it's not Peta http://www.katinkahesselink.net/other/danten1.html

and for more reading from Charles Danten , don't know if they have it in english but I guess you'll have to do your own research : "Un vétérinaire en colère: Essai sur la condition animale"
That guy seems like he's against having pets in general. He's definitely against commercial pet foods - seems like of all varieties.
I can't find where he talks about Iams, and all the books he lists are pretty old too, even if you wanted to go find them and verify where they got their info.

I volunteer at a shelter that feeds and supports iams, that has done an investigation to LOOK for cruelty there and found none. I'd like to know if there is something current I need to let the shelter admin know about in regards to this issue.
Old September 13th, 2010, 02:17 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:

There was an uncover video of this posted just last week on here. I just can't remember what thread.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old September 13th, 2010, 03:07 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.iamscruelty.com/videos.asp
http://www.uncaged.co.uk/iams.htm and in this one they say it is not the first time they have been caught
http://thoughtsfurpaws.com/dogs/iams...inally-proved/ 2008
These are just a few of the videos and articles there are worse but the last one is 2008 and if the ones you found are over 5 year old sort of says this is not stopping.
Yes Iams donates tons of food does not mean they are a good company it is a huge write off and the reason vets sell it is because of a little word called kickback and they also give vets to be scholarships.
Old September 13th, 2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
http://www.iamscruelty.com/videos.asp
http://www.uncaged.co.uk/iams.htm and in this one they say it is not the first time they have been caught
http://thoughtsfurpaws.com/dogs/iams...inally-proved/ 2008
These are just a few of the videos and articles there are worse but the last one is 2008 and if the ones you found are over 5 year old sort of says this is not stopping.
Yes Iams donates tons of food does not mean they are a good company it is a huge write off and the reason vets sell it is because of a little word called kickback and they also give vets to be scholarships.
Those are awful sites.
However, they contain only the old rehashed info about the exposures from 2002. I agree that what went on was appalling. But I'm convinced that there is not the same things going on now. If there was evidence of right now, I'd be on the phone now to the shelter in a heartbeat.

I don't think it's fair to tell people they are feeding their beloved pets something that contributes to cruelty unless you know for sure.