Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 10th, 2002, 02:49 PM

Question nose infection

My 7 year old female Rottweiller has had a nose infection for about a month. I have been to my vet and she perscribed pills that slightly cleared it up but it is back to where it was two weeks ago. My dogs nose is dry and cracked with dried mucus and organic material that comes out. My pet loves to push rocks, balls, etc. with her nose so I don't know whether the organic material was up her nose or just on the outside. I can't afford to keep going back to my vet and the other options she gave were unpleasant (fungal or tumor). Please help. Chris (cltotten)
Old September 12th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Administrator

For that dog, the description of the lesion is not clear, but i would
suggest a homepathic product called PETROLEUM 5 CH.

The dog should receive 3 granules orally 3 times a day.

The owner should avoid having the dog play in any playground covered with
motor oil, which could be a cause for the present problem.

Paul Guindon DMV
Clinique veterinaire Salaberry
Medecine conventionnelle et holystique
1895 Salaberry, Montreal, QC
514-334-7280
Old September 15th, 2002, 07:47 AM

the problem is two fold: the nose dryness issue as well as the infection that may or may not have caused it. the infection may be either systemic or localized to the nose. it could be that she flipped over a rock or something that had a plant/ fungus that was toxic or to which she was allergic. the dryness and infection problem can be attacked by using polysporin or bactrim or some antibiotic in an emolient cream. Polymicidin, gramicidin and anitfungal products like nystatin can be used. sometimes a little bit of vaseline would work. in either event, put the stuff on while she is going to stay inside as she would otherwise just get her nose covered again with goop. some people have put the products on the inside of their pet's nose. a little bit goes a long way. Knowing dogs, she will probably try to lick it off. It sounds as if the problem is localized to her nose as you have described no other symptoms. A systemic infection would manifest itself in vastly more noticeable symptoms- sluggishness, colorful and/or purulent discharge, ear infection etc...she should be given water more often than she is currently; sometimes dogs dont' drink as much as they should. a trick to get her to drink more water is to put a small amount of 2% evaporated milk in her water. maybe 15 ml or a tbsp would do the trick.
i have seen one dog ( bulldog ) with such a dry nose that it had cracked so much that it looked like a very old straw broom. Rather ghastly looking but the dog didn't seem to mind and his owner didn't seem to notice.

have you noticed any other changes in your dog's coat or nails? any problems on the skin such as small scales or circles? itchiness?
Old October 4th, 2002, 02:51 PM

Mark,
Thank you for the advice for my dogs nose infection. She is doing much better now. Her nose is moist again and the cracks are healing. She never had any of the other problems you described at the end of your response (skin, nail or coat changes). Thank you again for your help. She is always pushing things when we go for walks of camping that I am always aware of something getting stuck up her nose, but I can't always be watching.

Thank you,

Christina T. and Sadie the Rottweiller
Old March 7th, 2004, 09:26 PM

Nasal infection resisant to antibiotics

Our Rottweiler cross has had a similar problem for the last 2 months. We are now on our 3rd round of antibiotics for 2 secondary bacterial infections (staph and strepp). But the primary cause of the purulent mucous discharge remains unknown.On a daily basis it crusts over his nostril and has to be removed. The color is a brownish green. We have had him x-rayed, nothing apparent, and currently are waiting on a fungal culture. He's getting worse. He's approx 2.5 years old, an adoption from the local shelter.He only leaves his bed if bid or if nature calls. He lies down with his bowl between his paws to eat dinner and takes about 1/2 hr and doesn't finish it all. He is miserable and we are holding out for any hope.
Thank you in advance for any response.
Old April 18th, 2005, 05:56 PM

Similar trouble with a Weimaraner

I know this thread is old - I hope someone reads this! I have had the same type of problem with Baloo's nose. He's a 9 yr. old Weimaraner. First it just looked really dry and cracked - I thought it was dried up rawhide, what I usually refer to as "bone nose". Now his nose and upper lip area are crusted and have a green color to them. The areas are also shedding or peeling, and his nose is sounding "stuffy". He also has developed white crusty bumps around both eyes and is scratcing at them to the point of scabbing. I haven't had him to a vet yet, for a few days all the above conditions seemed to be improving, but now have taken a turn for the worse. His behavior, eating and drinking habits are completely normal. I have been rubbing neosporin on the nose and upper lip, but he licks at it (I'm not sure that's healthy) and immediately goes to his water dish to rinse his nose. Any input would be helpful - Thanks!
Old April 18th, 2005, 06:26 PM

I would get him to a vet asap. It took a long time for the vets to diagnose our dog. By the time we got to the root of the problem, we had to resort to intense treatments. In the end it was too late.

Hope it helps.
Old April 18th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Veerodder, I hope you will take your dog to the vet. Most problems are easier and less expensive if treated early rather than later after a condition has been allowed to manifest. Your pet is suffering and needs help.
Old June 14th, 2007, 04:00 AM

Rottweiler with same problem

Dear Veeroder, what ws wrong and how did you solve your dog's problem with cracked nose and white bums on his eyes? We have 2 rottweilers and one of them has the same symptoms?
Old October 20th, 2007, 05:46 AM

nose infectoin???

hi, its a saturday and i can only got to the vet again by next mon. my dog s got what apparently looks like a nostril infection, in his right one.. crust is on the outside, but what worries me is the stuff, mucus etc on the inside... it doesnt seem to be botherin him. took him to the vet twice last week, once for antibiotics, then for a blood test. however, is there anything i can do here at home that might clean it etc... i m worried that till monday it will be much worse, and its a fragile place for an infection.. we also still havent established what is the cause of this, whether its an infection as i beleive, anything else. however, the symptoms sound just like most posts in this thread... can anyone enlighten me better/?
Old October 20th, 2007, 07:11 PM
-

I can't think of anything that would be a/ safe to use and b/ your dog would tolerate to clean out the inside of your dog's nose. I certainly would not use anything like a Q-tip and your dog isn't likely to sit still and have his nose flushed out with a saline solution. It's probably best to let the anti-biotics do their work and keep the goop from inside of his nose from drying and crusting over on the outside of his nose.
Old March 14th, 2008, 03:44 PM

Hello all

I just wanted to say that my Great Dane has had a really bad dry, peeling, cracked, bleeding nose for about 3 years.
Everything kept coming back clear at the vet visits and nothing seemed to work.

Yesterday I was told (by a different vet) to try putting Neosporin on his nose (the dog not the vets :-)

Well today after less than one full days application his nose is about 80% improved.

Your experience may vary depending on your dog, his nose and whatever is causing the problem. However I just wanted to share my experience in case anyone else might need help for their friends nose!

Old July 26th, 2008, 08:01 AM

Nose infection on 10lb maltese mix

My dog has had a nose infection for about 2 weeks now. Her simptoms are swelling on her snout, stuffy nose (breaths through her mouth) and discharge from her eyes. I took her to the vet about 10 days ago and two other times since. He gave her a cortizone shot and prescribed antibiotics (clavamox 62.5mg and cephalexim 250 mg twice daily). She has improved. However, her nose is still very stuffy and she is still swollen on the left side of her snout.

During our last visit, the vet said that an infection takes 4 to 5 weeks to clear. and to continue with the treatment.

She is also having problems with her joints. She has trouble walking and sometimes yelps when we pick her up.

Please advice.
Old July 26th, 2008, 09:47 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, Cherie!

Since this is such an old thread, and since your dog has other complications (I see you list pancreatitis in your profile, and you've mentioned the joint problem), you may get more replies if you start a new thread just for your dog.

The infection may well take 4-5 weeks to resolve. We had a bout with folliculitis, which is a deep infection of the hair follicles, and it took at least 4 weeks... The infection in your dog is different, but it isn't unreasonable to think that it would take weeks to resolve.

Are the joint problems new? Just since you started treating the infection? Or are they ongoing? How old is your dog? If you start a new thread, putting this information in the first post will make for quicker responses!

There are a number of supplements, such as glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM that can help with joint problems. Also omega-3s and -6s can help boost immune systems. But, if your dog is prone to or has pancreatitis, remember to run any supplements by your vet first--especially any fatty or oily ones--to make sure they are safe for your dog!

Good luck with your girl, Cherie!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."