Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old October 10th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm in serious trouble

I saw this little girl flitting close to a busy road and scooped her up. I haven't been able to look for a scar but she may also I guess be....pregnant. Her body does seem to be weighted near the back (giving her a very odd appearance) but that may not mean anything.
So now she has taken over Billy's room (aka the bathroom). If his room is taken, he can't come inside. Which would be so sad, because except for his mistrust of all other cats he is such a funny, loveable boy and mighty attached to me.
I don't have a solution for this girl. Does anyone?
She is still a bit growly but gives me bony little hipchecks. Her first little poo would break your heart, pencil thin and full of grass.
Attached Images

Old October 10th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Badger I could be wrong here but I thought someone posted a picture of a missing kitty that looked like this one? Not 100% sure though? She certainly is a beautiful looking cat? I dont know what to suggest to you? But thank you for caring enought ot pick this little one up off the street!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 10th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I've looked back through the lost posts but I can't find her, or on any of the lost/found websites I know. There's a lost tortie, but not in Quebec. This one's coat has every colour in the rainbow and an ash-grey plume tail. She may have been on the lam for only a few weeks, especially if she wasn't skilled at finding food. She is a bag of bones.
Old October 10th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thats too bad! I was hoping it was near you or at least someone looking....It always amazes me how these beautiful cats find themselves homeless?? alot of sick people out there I guess! I imagine all the rescues/spca's are overloaded! Is she friendly with you? I guess she is pretty hungry too! Do you have many rescued kittty's? I am asking because you mentioned she has taken over someone els's spot in the house?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old October 10th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Badger,not another one:sad:although I can sooo understand you.
that she is not preggers,is there not any place you could take her,where she would not be killed?
Of course not before the Badger kitty-kitchen has fattened her up a bit,poor little girl...she's so pretty,looks exhausted.
You are the best
Old October 10th, 2007, 04:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What a little sweetheart she is! that she's not pregnant...

She's certainly lucky that she found an to take her in.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 10th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Senior Contributor

We'll be off to the vet in the morning. She's eating and sleeping, but still seems a bit out of it, above and beyond the usual jitters. Do you think if she was pregnant and I took her to the SPCA, they would find a foster home for her? If someone would just give her a chance, she's a sweet girl. Have you noticed the size of her feet? She should be so much bigger than she is.
Old October 10th, 2007, 07:31 PM

She is so beautiful! she probably would have been killed on a busy road. So nice of you to take her in. I know that vets and pet food stores take cats in for adoption, also even groomers! Maybe you should drive a bit out of your way and discover new places? We, the rescuers are always so desperate to place cats, since we are always full. We have to find other solutions.
Old October 10th, 2007, 07:39 PM
-

Oh Badger :sad: she looks exausted ! I do receive e-mails from the spca , once every 1-2 weeks , asking for foster families for pregnant cats or moms and their litter. I do have some contacts at the spca MTL and Laval. I'll pm you my e-mail so you can update me on the vet visit , if she's pregnant or not. We will see what we can do about this.
Old October 10th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Young at Heart

It brings tears to my eyes every time I see a post like this - that poor little kitty - but now, thank goodness, she is a lucky kitty to have found you!
Old October 10th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Badger you are an and that beautiful tortie so lucky to have crossed your path
that all is OK with her and that someone can give her a great forever home
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old October 11th, 2007, 12:33 AM

aw poor sweet lil thing :sad:
Badger you def are a

for non preg & a home soon for lil tortie

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 11th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

She is so beautiful, can't believe somebody is not looking for her. Badger, you are so good to these unfortunate cats!
Old October 11th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Senior Contributor

The vet gave her a good feel-up and felt nothing, so if she is pregnant, it is too early to tell. Vet estimates she is 6-7 months old so it's possible she hasn't even had her first heat. She had her vacs and will be spayed next week.
Her name, for now, is Coco (sorry I'm hopeless at names).
Attached Images

Old October 11th, 2007, 05:15 PM

The poor thing. She looks like a sweetie, I have a soft spot for torties.

Glad you picked her up badger, how many do you have now? Didn't you laugh at me when I said I have 4 cats and the one I picked up would make 5...........

A popular phrase comes to mind "The more the merrier!"

Hope she finds a good home soon

breezer
Old October 11th, 2007, 08:09 PM
-

So glad Coco isn't pregnant oh and when you'll know more about her , send me her description and I will send her pics to all my contacts.
Old October 11th, 2007, 10:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Is the poor dear putting on any weight, badger? She looks so skinny. :sad: But at least she has her head up in that last pic!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 11th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for stopping and picking her up.
Old October 12th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Badger,Coco is a wonderful name,suits the little lady
What a relief that she's not pregnant,now she can concentrate on gaining some weight.
Did you have to put Billy out:sad:
You need a couple of more rooms
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:20 AM
-

Coco is one pretty kitty. Thanks for all you've done for her Badger. Any luck finding her a forever home?
Old October 19th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Any luck finding her a forever home?
No interest so far. But then I've only posted here and I think Frenchy has contacted some people she knows. I'll have to get to work. On my last poster for three of the boys, I added 'Sorry, these cats are not free', to stave off calls from people who don't see what money has to do with it (nothing, and everything). So now I don't get ANY calls :sad:.

On another subject, when I was signing Coco in for her spay this morning (she fouled her crate en route to express her displeasure ), I noticed that they are now accepting un-vaccinated cats for spaying and neutering. When I asked why, they told me that too many clients were unwilling to pay, especially people who were fixing strays and then releasing them. There was a waiver, which I didn't have time to read (I will when I go back tomorrow).

On the one hand, it's great that people are doing catch-and-release, on the other it's sad that some of those animals will die from preventable diseases. But there are many other - and more common - ways to die - starvation, for example - so maybe it is a logical compromise. In any case, it would have been interesting to eavesdrop on the discussion which led to THAT decision! No doubt ethics came into it - they are not monsters, far from it - but to what extent .

My poor Coco, she's so thin, her spine is just one long blade; I hope she does OK today.

Last edited by badger; October 19th, 2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old October 19th, 2007, 11:42 AM
-

My SIL posted Coco on their billboard at her work , also , another friend told me a friend of hers was looking to adopt (old cat passed away) and she will show her Coco's pic. other contacts didn't get back to me but that could be because they're asking around first.
Old October 19th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks Frenchy, much appreciated
Old October 19th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Awwwwwwwwwww Badger - she is such a cutie!!! I wish I was closer - maybe I can convince my sister in Mtl she needs another animal! (Trouble is while she teaches at McGill, she travels a bit too much, sigh!) (She is the only one on the McG faculty page with her dog, lol) - well only one I've seen anyway. I will ask her to post some posters at the campus if that's OK - May I use one of the pix here? I'd ask my cousin there but he just brought back yet another border collie from Ireland!

How is Billy managing with the newcomer?

And oh, btw, I LOVE the name Coca - it suits her, it really does!!
Old October 19th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Cyber, that would be great, your sister is welcome to use any of these pictures. When I go to pick her up tomorrow - didn't hear from the vet, so I'm assuming she made it through - I'll try to get some better ones. She's just not that photogenic at the moment.
She and Bill are doing OK, she makes him nervous (all other cats do) but no fur is flying.
Old October 19th, 2007, 11:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

for Coco's quick recovery and for finding her a forever home quickly!

Old October 20th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Senior Contributor

She is gorgeous. I have a soft spot for torties. My first cat, Speck, was a lovely tortoiseshell kitty. I wish I had a bigger place, I'd take her in a heart beat. Good luck Badger, I hope she packs on the wieght and finds a forever home.

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Coco sailed through her spay and now flies around the apartment like a demented bat. The girl has character! She's not into being picked up yet but will sit close enough for ear-scratchies. Nice little belly. If anyone wants a tortie, now would be a good time, before I am too besotted. When she grows into that tail, she'll be spectacular.
Attached Images

Old October 31st, 2007, 11:20 AM
-

omg look at those eyes and wiskers
Old October 31st, 2007, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww Badger,what a beautiful little girl she is,I can see how you would easily get besotted with her
In a way I am glad I am not living close by or my boys would have a girlfriend
I hope she'll find a really good home,but for now she has the best