Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 31st, 2007, 08:45 PM
Rottie owner and lover

Need to find something similar

Ok guys. I am having another dilema. Tigger had crystals and has been on special diet and meds for past 1 1/2 weeks. Well since that time he has had the runs. Not only that, past 4 days he has been throwing up the food.
I am returning the bag of food. Can someone suggest what to put him on...Please
Old August 31st, 2007, 08:53 PM
-

You need a special diet because of the crystals ?
Old August 31st, 2007, 09:08 PM
Rottie owner and lover

yes for a couple months, he is still on the antibiotics
Old August 31st, 2007, 09:37 PM
-

I think you can only get that special diet at vets ?
Old August 31st, 2007, 09:38 PM
Rottie owner and lover

if that is the only food He is screwed, he throws up everytime he eats it now, diareah, and smart won't touch it anymore
Old August 31st, 2007, 09:46 PM
-

Maybe Badger will be able to help you , I suck at cat food
Old August 31st, 2007, 10:03 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

What are the ingrediant requirements for him? Have you tried Orijen cat?

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old August 31st, 2007, 11:27 PM
-

Rottielover I seem to remember buying a case of canned cat food from the Vet's office for my neighbour's cat who was on it for life because of uroliths. Why don't you cruise the Science Diet and Hill's products lists to see what you can find?
Old September 1st, 2007, 12:49 AM

Rottielover are you sure it's the food that's making him have diarrea & vomiting? maybe it's the antibiotics?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 1st, 2007, 07:22 AM
Senior Contributor

I tend to agree with growler that it could very well be the antibiotics that are causing the digestive upset. I would talk to your vet about either finding a different one or stopping them all together as you risk having an inappetant cat if nausea and vomiting continue. HOWEVER, on top of that, please get your cat off of dry food!!! No cat with urinary tract issues should be eating dry. Read this website for more details: http://www.catinfo.org/

Quote:
With regard to overall kidney and bladder health, I cannot stress strongly enough how important WATER, WATER, WATER is in both the prevention and treatment of diseases involving this organ system.

When a cat is on a diet of water-depleted dry food, they produce a more highly concentrated urine (higher specific gravity) and they produce a lower volume of urine which means that a higher concentration of crystals will be present in the urine. This increases the chance of these crystals forming life-threatening stones. The concentrated urine and the lack of volume production is also very irritating to the lining of the bladder wall predisposing them to painful cystitis.

Please keep in mind that a cat has a very low thirst drive and is designed to get water with their food. A diet of canned food will keep a proper amount of water flowing through the urinary tract system and help maintain its health.

Urine pH is also often considered when discussing urinary tract problems but the proper amount of water in the diet is a far more important point to focus on than pH.

There are many factors which determine the pH of urine and only one of them is diet. Unfortunately, a highly acidifying diet is often prescribed which may result in trading one problem for another. Generally speaking, a basic (non-prescription) low carbohydrate, meat-based canned food helps normalize the urine pH and provides the proper amount of dietary water.

With regard to dry food and urinary tract health, aside from the lack of water in this type of diet, please also note that there is a correlation between the consumption of a high carbohydrate diet and the formation of struvite crystals as shown by this study.

Veterinarians often prescribe Science Diet dry c/d and x/d for urinary tract problems but again, these diets are only ten percent water and contain a high level of species-inappropriate ingredients and questionable preservatives. They are also very high in carbohydrates with dry c/d containing 42 percent of its weight as carbohydrates. Please note the first few ingredients in c/d while remembering that your cat is a carnivore:
Brewers rice, chicken by-product meal, corn gluten meal, pork fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), chicken liver flavor, taurine, preserved with BHT and BHA
Please also understand that diet is not the only issue involved with cystitis but it is an important one and one that we can control. Stress is also thought to play a very significant role in cystitis and even cats that are fed a 100 percent canned food diet may experience bouts of cystitis. This is a very frustrating disease to deal with and one that the veterinary community does not have all the answers for. What we do know is that decreasing stress and increasing the water content of the diet are the most important management issues to address. The water content of the diet is easy to control. The stress issue is sometimes another matter and is not always easy to address.

Cystitis can also be extremely painful and it is very important to address pain management in these cats. Remember: pain = stress and we are trying to minimize the stress in these patients.

A note on antibiotic usage in these cases. Most cases of cystitis are sterile. In other words, they are not the result of an infection and should not be placed on antibiotics. Antibiotics are used far too often in these cases when they are not warranted. A culture and sensitivity (C and S) should be run on all cystitis cases. This test identifies the bacteria (if present) and tells the veterinarian which antibiotic is appropriate. The urine for a C and S needs to be obtained by way of cystocentesis which involves using a syringe and needle to obtain urine directly from the bladder. This is not a painful procedure for the cat and this method is the only way to obtain a sample for accurate information in order to properly treat with antibiotics. One problem, however, is that a sample may be difficult to obtain without waiting a few hours since cats with cystitis urinate frequently and often do not have enough urine in their bladder to get a good sample.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 1st, 2007, 10:44 AM
Rottie owner and lover

he has been on the antibiotics before, no reaction, that is why I know it is the food. I will be putting him on uretic by wysong. It is formulated for cats with this issue. Trying it tonight, will keep you posted on how that goes.
Old September 1st, 2007, 12:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottielover View Post
he has been on the antibiotics before, no reaction, that is why I know it is the food. I will be putting him on uretic by wysong. It is formulated for cats with this issue. Trying it tonight, will keep you posted on how that goes.
Just so you know, 23% of the calories in Wysong Uretic come from carbohydrates, which is too high for an obligate carnivore. Is there any particular reason you don't want to feed wet food? (Not to be a nag or anything . . . )

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 1st, 2007, 01:37 PM
~Cat Servent~

If he needs the vet food but it is giving him the runs why not try one of the digestive shakes you can sprinkle on top to help with the upset. Most pet stores carry them, I had to use one for Windy for a while and it worked great. You only have to use it long enough to get them back to normal poops. And that way he's still getting the special food. If you want I can check which one I used....

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old September 1st, 2007, 11:55 PM

for good results for Tigger

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old September 2nd, 2007, 12:16 AM
-

Hope the Wysong helps him.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 11:19 AM

Need to find something similar

My dog also had urinary problems and was put on a special diet and had diarrhea as yours did. I gave her biobest yoghurt and it stopped the diarrhea. This was after we had tried three fasts through the vet. It seems the antibiotic had stripped her bowels of her regular bacterial. We found a solution with Hill's cd canned, for urinary crystals. It gives her more water, since there is so much in the can. We also test her ph at home, and take in regular samples that they test right there at the vets. We also had an ultrasound done. It showed a thickening in the bladder wall probably from a long standing problem with crystals. The yoghurt was a last resort, a few years back, but it worked. We also tried a diet of just chicken and rice, boiled which stopped the diarrhea, but then we needed to get a high quality canned food that would do the trick. It is expensive but worth it. I hope you get your rottie to the vet soon. THe diet depends on which type of crystals are being produced. Hope this helps.
Old September 3rd, 2008, 12:24 PM
NOT a senior member

This post is a year old..... hopefully Tigger has good poops by now!

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......