Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Closed Thread

Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:25 PM

I hate the term REHOME

On both craigslist and Kijii online classifieds, in the midst of a terrible cat overpopulation crisis, I am seeing a LOT of ads where people want to "rehome" their pet.

Reasons givens?
* I'm moving somewhere that doesn't take pets (where? Condos?)
* My dog/cat doesn't get along with the new dog/cat/child/spouse
* I'm busy all day and I can't give my dog/cat the attention it deserves
* My spouse/friend/roomate/child/me have suddenly developed allergies

They gush on about what a wonderful pet it was, and even in one case, threaten that the dog will have to be euthanized if someone doesn't take it off our hands.

When did "REHOME" become a spinword for "disposal"?

I looked up google to find a word definition and it only comes up as a techie term involving a Windows procedure.

Why doesn't anyone challenge this? Where are the vets, the SPCA's, rescues, etc on this? Can't we get this bs coverup in the media?

Mad....
Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:48 PM
-

Rehome is better than what they use in french : je dois me débarrasser de mon chat / chien .... which means I have to "get rid off" my cat/dog.

You need to stop looking at those adds. It only brings you pain. :sad:
Old July 22nd, 2008, 08:56 PM
banned user

I hate it too wolfcat, i accually just posted about something i saw on kijiji a few minutes ago. About millers

These people are such
Old July 22nd, 2008, 09:29 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcat View Post
When did "REHOME" become a spinword for "disposal"?

I looked up google to find a word definition and it only comes up as a techie term involving a Windows procedure.

Why doesn't anyone challenge this? Where are the vets, the SPCA's, rescues, etc on this? Can't we get this bs coverup in the media?

Mad....
You could start by writing a letter to the editor of every paper around. You are in TO. Shouldn't be too difficult to find a starting place. It would be a start. Small ideas can sometimes move mountains.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:22 AM
NOT a senior member

It is probably best to stay away from reading those ads as well, although I am guilty too. You could always do what I do...and send an "email of education" as I like to call it. Expect a nasty one back....but perhaps if this person has a concience they will curb irresponsible behaviour in the future. Then again...maybe not. :sad:

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcat View Post

Mad....
I'm sorry - what is it that you are asking rescues and SPCA's to do? Based on your response I may be able to shed some light.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:44 AM

While I understand that you might not like the idea that someone would give up their pet, all the reasons you cite sound like they're at least a little valid to me.

Quote:
* I'm moving somewhere that doesn't take pets (where? Condos?)
Sometimes people have to move for reasons beyond their control. In Vancouver there's a less than 1% vacancy rate, rents are sky high, and in general landlords are not welcoming to animals. People are being kicked out of their apartments so that landlords can bring in new tenants and increase the rent far beyond what would otherwise be allowed. I've heard of more than one desperate person having to give up their beloved dog as a result of a situation like that.

Quote:
* My dog/cat doesn't get along with the new dog/cat/child/spouse
Sometimes the only solution in an extreme situation is to give up a pet. I have a friend with two cats who has been advised by vets and behaviour experts to find a new home for one of her cats, because it has been relentlessly attacking the other one, and the only thing that seems to reduce the behaviour is medicating the offender. So what's the best solution in this situation? Turn the attacking cat into a zombie with medication, or find it a new home?

Quote:
* I'm busy all day and I can't give my dog/cat the attention it deserves
People's situations change. Partners get injured and can't work. People die. People lose jobs. What's better? Giving up the animal, or effectively mistreating it?

Quote:
* My spouse/friend/roomate/child/me have suddenly developed allergies
Sometimes this happens. People can develop allergies at any time in their lives, even to things that have previously not caused them problems. Allergies to animals can't be treated with 100% effectiveness. They often require weekly shots, and even then the problem may never be solved.

My point here isn't to defend every person who gives up an animal. Certainly some people see animals as disposable, and that's despicable. But there are situations when it's in the best interest of the animal, or where there is simply no other solution than to find a pet a new home.

What exactly would you hope to accomplish by bringing media attention to this issue? Surely it's better for people to be able to advertise pets that need new homes in newspapers and online than for them to resort to having them put down or to releasing them in the wild or driving them out to the country and leaving them?
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:49 AM
-

You really only post in threads to stir up sh** now do you !!!

You think that everyone that's giving their pets away on kijiji have valid reasons ? I think you need a reality check !!!
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
You really only post in threads to stir up sh** now do you !!!
No, but you keep saying that.

Quote:
You think that everyone that's giving their pets away on kijiji have valid reasons ? I think you need a reality check !!!
No. Why don't you try actually reading before you respond? I specifically wrote:

Quote:
My point here isn't to defend every person who gives up an animal. Certainly some people see animals as disposable, and that's despicable. But there are situations when it's in the best interest of the animal, or where there is simply no other solution than to find a pet a new home.
So back off.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:09 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo View Post
No, but you keep saying that.

Well you keep doing it !

Most of these adds that you defend , are from irresponsable pet owners. Being in rescue , I've answered many of these adds , maybe you should try that too and see for yourself.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Well you keep doing it !
Bull. If anyone's trying to stir up ****, it's you, by making ridiculous accusations. I've never once tried to stir up **** on this board (or on any other, for that matter).

Your problem is that you just don't like hearing opinions that differ from your own; that makes you the worst type of fanatic. You have a knee-jerk negative reaction to any statement that varies from your narrow view of animal rights, so much so that you can't respond to any reasoned argument that challenges your preconceived notions.

Far from defending irresponsible pet owners, I simply provided a different view point: that sometimes people are forced to give up their pets, and that surely it's better for them to have a place where they can find them new homes than to give them even fewer options.

No matter how passionately you may believe it, not every person who must give up an animal is a bad person.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:25 PM
chronically insane.

Dingo is right though.. well not totally. It's the point people don't even make an EFFORT to try to solve the problem and just are too fast to give up their pets.

I suddenly became allergic to rabbits around 2003/2004. I had already had a rabbit for about 5 years though. What if the rabbit lived in my house instead of outside in a bunny hutch?(lets pretend for a second that for some reason that was possible).. what would I do? Die from something similar to an asthma attack? Deal with being covered in hives daily?

I'd find him a new home with a relative like my grandmom or something. So 'rehoming' would be appropriate there wouldn't it be?

My bunny lives outside though and is not an immediate threat to me unless I touch him or someone pets him and his fur sheds near me.

Flat out though, most people are LAZY and INCOMPETENT and make no effort to keep their pet before dumping it off to whoever is the first bidder or highest bidder.

When medication would solve the allergy problem then I'd say your a freaking idiot if you don't take a pill or a shot and instead give away your pet. I'm becoming allergic to cats now, and obviously I can't just put them outside like the bunny lives outside. Guess what, I'll go get an allergy shot weekly if I have too or live off benedryl.

Pets are part of your family. If my mom suddenly became allergic to me or had to move to a place where children were not allowed, I'd hope she'd find a better option.

If you are busy all day, get another pet to keep your pet company. Cat's really don't care if they have a friend. Send your dog to doggy day camp or let it play with the neighbors dog.

If someone doesn't suddenly get along with the cat/dog, oh well. Make them get along. I make my cats get along to the best I can. Okay, for some cases it might be impossible, but just make an effort.

Sometimes people do have to get rid of their pets for valid reasons. I was evicted before, but moved to an apartment that allowed pets. If you have no choice... then I guess that's that. 2 dogs came into my shelter because their owners were evicted and have no where to live. One dog found a home 2 or 3 days after she got there. The other I think a couple days later.

Rehome is only appropriate when used to fosters and rescues. I am 'rehoming' one my kittens soon. He has a home now, but it's only temporary and he's going to a new home. So he's being rehomed

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow!

People in rescue, vet staff and shelters are tired of excuses. Were there is a will there IS a way.

Seriously there are circumstances. The only one I can think of is 'owner died'. And even at that the owner should have made sure that his/her pets would be well looked after.

I have a kid that is shedding cloths all over the place. Leaving a mess behind, does not flush the toilet, ruins my furnature, causes me hives, makes me worry, keeps me up all night, talks to much, talks too little, racks up the phone bill, manipulates me (or thinks), tries to out talk, out smart me, wants my car, wants my house, wants me to drive all over the place, looses hair, does not pick up after self....get the picture... And I love her and plan on keeping her until I die. And yes if I move I will find a place that will take her!
Old July 23rd, 2008, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Were there is a will there IS a way.
And sometimes the only way is to give up a beloved pet.

Your analogy about your daughter is cute, but it's hardly the same thing. When you have an average income and you live in a city with a vacancy rate that's barely above 0, where the average person can't afford to buy a home, and where rents are beyond the reach of many and an overwhelming majority of rental units don't allow pets, and your landlord tells you you have to move out for three months because they're going to renovate your unit, and you're welcome to have first refusal when the renovations are done, but expect to pay double what you were paying before, which was already much higher than you can really afford but you paid it because it was the only place you could find that allowed dogs, and the only apartment you can find now on such short notice where you can actually make the rent, even though it's going to cost you over 50% of your income, doesn't allow pets, then see what "choices" you have.

No, it hasn't happened to me, but this is the type of thing that happens all the time in Vancouver, and not just to irresponsible people who see their pets as disposable, but to people who love their pets and are heartbroken when they have to give them up, but who literally have no other choice.

Added: And while if I was in this situation I would do everything in my power not to give up my dog, at least not permanently, I also recognize that I have a lifestyle and options that allow me to make choices that not everybody can. Much as I think that many people are far too quick to abandon animals they probably never should have acquired in the first place, I would never condemn anyone whose circumstances left them no choice but to give up their pet.

Last edited by Dingo; July 23rd, 2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Indeed it's 'cute' what I wrote. It certainly not cute picking up the pieces of people's disposed animals!

Though you have an arguement, what we see in rescue/shelters is not the case. The MAJORITY do not fall under your writings. That is fact. The fact is that people do not try hard enough. They take the easy way and sugar coat with excuses and quite frankly it is hard to digest.

Between you and I - let's agree to disagree. However if you actively work in this world of 'rehomed' animals then you know the realities. If you are on the outside looking in, then I understand why and how you argue your point.

Point well taken.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:43 PM

In fact, like Frenchy, I think you've missed my point. My point, in response to the OP on this thread, was that making a big stink about people placing "rehoming" ads in newspapers and online might do more harm than good. Surely it's better to give people a place to advertise the pets they can no longer keep (or no longer want) than for them to resort to drastic measures. What's in the better interest of the animals?
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:51 PM
Doggie Wench

Dingo, with all due respect, if this is a situation (such as in Vancouver) a pet owner has a such great chance of encountering, then why get a pet in the first place?

I think what the OP is trying to say is that there's much too much of it going on. Try to contact some of these ppl posting wanting to get rid of their animals. I'll bet you'll discover at least 95% are just trying to rid themselves of a responsibility.

BenMax, I agree with you wholeheartedly, 'where there is a will there IS a way.'

Responsible pet ownership is where it begins! If one can't handle what comes with it, simply put, don't get a pet!
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:51 PM
Senior Contributor

No I have not missed the point. I will make the point perhaps a little clearer. When you advertise in classified you are opening pandora's box. There are animal dealers that are taking intact purebreds and selling to puppymills - fact. Animal dealers are taking others and selling to laboratories - fact. Rescues are doing their best to try and educate people of the dangers - fact.

Why are people 're-homing' animals that already have a home (or had one anyways)? They are NOT qualified to try to 're-home' since their home was obviously not 'safe' or provided a Forever home.

These are facts, like it or not. If people do not want to know the truth, then why push the issue.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:56 PM

Wow, such a heated debate of ad's. Although Personally I think Both sides have a point and in some cases both sides are making the SAME point.

Sometimes life happens and people do have to relinquish a pet. I know when I was in college the first time my parents got evicted. They lived out of their car for a little while with our chi. But winters are cold here and sleeping in the car with a dog in winter is dumb. So they "rehomed" the dog with my sister for a while, because the only place they could find to live (that they could afford) was in the basement for a caring and helpful person. But that person said absolutely no dogs.

Now, so people will say, if you can't afford a dog don't get one in the first place. Well when we got the dog I was a kid and my mom was married to a guy who made good money. We lived in a nice house. It's the only time I remeber when I was growing up when we actually had decent food and clothes and didn't have to worry about anything. But they divorced. He didn't wont the dog and we were attached to it. So it came with us. We moved to a new city. My mom remarried, they both lost there jobs and could only get work driving Taxi. But it doesn't pay the bills, not when your trying to get your kids through school. Why should the dog suffer? We weren't bad to it? We were good owners. The dog was always feed and when we could afford it saw the vet, she lived to be almost 17 (so I think we did a good job). The dog was clean and well groomed and a great dog. Its not our fault bad things happened. but the dog needed a new home. It happens. So yes sometimes people do actually need to rehome the dog.

Now, some people say that people don't try and they let their pets go to readily. Where there's a will there's away. And that's tricky. My parents did not advertise their dog. They talked to the family and my sister summgled the dog into her NO-Pets appartment so the dog could stay in the family. It took almost 2 years for my parents to get proper jobs and a steady place to live to be able to take the dog back. So, yes I guess when there's a will theres a way.

But what would have happened if our family had said no, and no one could have taken her in? I couldn't have taken her I was in college living in res and it's definately no-pets (and we tried, our dorm tried to get a cat, and they removed it ). My grandparents wouldn't have taken the dog. Everyone has their reasons why they say no, and the dogs our problem not theres. So my parents would have either had to A) give the dog to the SPCA or another rescue, but they never would have gotten the dog back. B) talked to their friends and co-workers to see if someone they knew would take the dog, but agian little chance of getting the dog back. And what if they couldn't find anyone? C) they'd have to put out an ad and they definately would never have gotten the dog back. So there may not have been away, even tho there was a will.

Look at my aunt, She's a great dog person. She has two dogs from our breeder (they are all old and s/n now, this was a long time ago), and the two were bred (by the breeder, all her thing). One of the pups went to a home where a toddle strangled the dog, so the pup came back. My aunt decided she'd take the dog. Well it was a male and the two males (at the time one fixed, on not) fought all the time and people kept getting hurt trying to seperate them. She went for training etc to try and correct the problem. In the end someone got hurt and public health came out and said she either had to get rid of one or both would be put down the next time they had to come out. They are not agressive dogs, just sadly she didn't get the behaviour fixed before the law told her she had change things. No one in the family could take the dog, because of the family dynamic and the dogs would end up together and fight anyway (everyones always over at everyone elses house with their dogs). So she took out an ad. Luckily, someone in the family but not in the family (like a step sister of a cousin) took one of the dogs. It worked out perfectly. So we all still get to see the dog. He's doing great, and the few times that both have been together there hasn't been a problem, because both kept up the training, but my aunt can't ask for the dog back.

So, you do have to be creative to solve some problems. Some people do jump the gun way to fast. And most people that have ad's out probly didn't try. But some people did and some of them are crushed that they have to rehome their pet. That doesn't mean all of them. You have to go on a case by case basis. But I think its more responsible for them to try to find a new home for the animal than for them to drop them somewhere or throw them on the lap of a resue, if they can do the leg work to find a new home. Lets just hope the home is a good one.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 01:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
In fact, like Frenchy, I think you've missed my point. My point, in response to the OP on this thread, was that making a big stink about people placing "rehoming" ads in newspapers and online might do more harm than good. Surely it's better to give people a place to advertise the pets they can no longer keep (or no longer want) than for them to resort to drastic measures. What's in the better interest of the animals?
I really didn't get the impression though that anyone was saying that those really extreme circumstances, which are, I think we can all agree, the very small minority, were a problem.

Rather the sentiment seems to be, and I can relate totally, that the terminology used is often designed to make something which is pretty cr*ppy, ie ditching one's animals like yesterday's garbage, sound warm, fuzzy, and in the best interest of the dog/cat/rabbit/bird in question.

I don't spend a ton of time looking at "pet" sections of classifieds, but in my experience they're usually filled with BYB, mills and lame "our mini-chichipoo just got too darn big for the house" type ads. Do the tiny minority of people who genuinely need some help justify keeping these types of ad spaces open to all of the above mentioned?

Perhaps though, since it seems like such a passionate subject for you, you may consider offering temp. foster spots for people in the type of positions you describe. I know such things exist (though probably not as much as they're needed) for military families, or people needing to leave abusive relationships. Just an idea though.....
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:11 PM
chronically insane.

Incase someone didn't mention it, it's mostly free to good home ads that suck.

I put an ad up on Craigslist before for my old foster kitten Waffles. But I'm not stupid enough to give him away for free or without being fixed. I signed him over to the shelter, they fixed him, gave him his shots and was microchipped. Then the adopter paid the shelter the 95$ for it.

It's really stupid for people to give them away free to random people, or unaltered or for cheap prices (like under 20$).

And some people don't even care.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:12 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Dingo, you don't consider taking a pet from it's home and just giving it away to some stranger a drastic measure?

I DO NOT work in rescue, but i at this moment have a 6 mth old puppy who is the example of what irrisponsable pet owners do. A large majority of people look at animals as disposable.

It is against the law to ban animals from an apartment, or rental unit in Canada. Since they shouldn't even ask if you have one you aren't obligated to answer. Allergies is the biggest bull$hit answer going. I am deathly allergic to animals and i am the proud mommy of not 1 but 3 dogs. If you put any value on your pets life there are ways of working with it. Bathing, bakingsoda baths to remove oils, sprays for your furniture, cleaning more regularily.

As far as i'm concerned short of death there isn't a valid reason to just abandon a family member. As for calling Frenchy a fanatic, you should be ashamed of yourself. If anything you should thank her and the others on this site like her. She spends countless hours trying to (re-home) these discarded pets, fostering them herself and spending a fortune on their upkeep and medical bills.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:13 PM

I wouldn't say it was a passionate subject for me, and anyway I have my own limitations. After our last dog died we thought long and hard about getting another one, in large part because of the housing situation where we live. We ended up choosing a small breed: even though large dogs are allowed where we live, and although we'd prefer a large dog, we don't plan on living where we are forever, and it's a little easier to find a place with a small one. I certainly don't have the freedom to take in foster dogs, however.

But while puppy mills and backyard breeders are a problem, and while some people give up their pets for stupid reasons, nobody's yet answered the question of what happens to the dogs if there's nowhere to advertise for homes for them. The responsible owners can probably be counted on to find alternatives, but what about the rest? Wouldn't it be far more useful to focus on pet stores and puppy mills than pet ads?
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
It is against the law to ban animals from an apartment, or rental unit in Canada.
No it isn't. It's against the law to ban animals from rental units in Toronto, and that law is relatively recent. In British Columbia it's perfectly legal and very common. An overwhelming majority of rental units don't allow pets of any kind, as do many condominiums and even some housing cooperatives.

Quote:
Allergies is the biggest bull$hit answer going. I am deathly allergic to animals and i am the proud mommy of not 1 but 3 dogs. If you put any value on your pets life there are ways of working with it. Bathing, bakingsoda baths to remove oils, sprays for your furniture, cleaning more regularily.
It all depends on the severity of your allergies. I'm allergic to cats and I used to have two. I found a way to live with it; not everybody can, and not every treatment works for every person.

Quote:
As far as i'm concerned short of death there isn't a valid reason to just abandon a family member.
I've never advocated abandoning animals. I'm simply pointing out that not everybody has the options you have.

Quote:
As for calling Frenchy a fanatic, you should be ashamed of yourself.
Just calling it as I see it. Frenchy objects to some of the things that I say without any careful thought. I'm not going to rehash it all here, but you can read the thread about eating dogs for a perfect example.

Quote:
If anything you should thank her and the others on this site like her. She spends countless hours trying to (re-home) these discarded pets, fostering them herself and spending a fortune on their upkeep and medical bills.
Good for her. It's wonderful that she does those things. That doesn't give her carte blanche to attack others without thinking because they present a view point she disagrees with.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I guess you missed what I originally posted. That's ok - let's try again. They are all intertwined - classified ads = puppy mils = petstores! Please read above and I think you'll understand.

Sorry that I have not made that clear. Sometimes reading something the second time will help with answering your question.

Also, rescues and shelters are the best to help 'successfully' help finding SAFE homes and forever homes for these animals that have caused such harsh burdeons on thier 'loving and concerned' families.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:26 PM

No, I didn't miss it. I understood it quite well. What I said was, maybe responsible owners who are giving up their pets due to circumstances beyond their control, can be counted on to find other options (such as shelters, rescues, etc). But can those other people -- the backyard breeders, the puppy mills, the people who just can't be bothered -- be counted on to do the same thing? Or would removing the simple solution (posting online) lead those people to do something even worse, like simply releasing a pet, or having it put down?
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:34 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

As you said about Frenchy, she was just calling it as SHE see's it. And i a large majority of the time will agree with her. I have avoided posts that i've seen you respond to for the reason frenchy mentioned.

Yes some of the people here are extremely passionate about their beliefs, but walk in their shoes for a day.

Maybe you should go back and look at what the post was originally about. Wolfcat expressed her opinion on hating the word re-homed. And couldn't the Spca etc do something about it. You came in defending the people making the re-home post, blah, blah. That isn't what Wolfcats topic was so you went off topic first.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
No, I didn't miss it. I understood it quite well. What I said was, maybe responsible owners who are giving up their pets due to circumstances beyond their control, can be counted on to find other options (such as shelters, rescues, etc). But can those other people -- the backyard breeders, the puppy mills, the people who just can't be bothered -- be counted on to do the same thing? Or would removing the simple solution (posting online) lead those people to do something even worse, like simply releasing a pet, or having it put down?
Well I think the thread has 'evolved' but to answer this particular question, you are correct - they would not go that extra mile. But I guess this does not satisfy your comments in regards to all the excuses that are made on getting rid of your pet. The term 'Responsible' people that you use are not responsible. Responsibility of owning the pet starts as soon as you bring him/her home and that responsibility is complete when he/she passes after all the trials and tribulations that you, your pet and family went through - that is responsible!

When you are on the outside looking in - it is easy to defend or justify I guess. When you are in the trenches - the excuses get .....boring! Sorry.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Seriously Dingo - I would quite now. Just some friendly advice.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
As you said about Frenchy, she was just calling it as SHE see's it.
No, she claims I come here to stir up ****. That's nonsense. All I have ever done is make thoughtful posts. The problem is that she doesn't agree with me, and she sees that as me somehow being offensive.

Quote:
And i a large majority of the time will agree with her. I have avoided posts that i've seen you respond to for the reason frenchy mentioned.
Nobody's forcing you to read anything you don't want to, but I fail to see how any of my posts could be considered trolling.

Quote:
Maybe you should go back and look at what the post was originally about. Wolfcat expressed her opinion on hating the word re-homed. And couldn't the Spca etc do something about it. You came in defending the people making the re-home post, blah, blah. That isn't what Wolfcats topic was so you went off topic first.
Well, all I can say is that I suspect you didn't bother to carefully read what I posted before forming an opinion. The OP's main point, at the end of her post, was

Quote:
I responded to her post with a reasonable argument: that some people have very valid reasons for giving up their pets, and that taking away one avenue for finding new homes for them might be a bad thing. I never "defended" anyone. In fact, I specifically said (and this is now the THIRD time I'm repeating it):

Quote:

. . . Surely it's better for people to be able to advertise pets that need new homes in newspapers and online than for them to resort to having them put down or to releasing them in the wild or driving them out to the country and leaving them?
So please, spare me your attempts to paint me as a trouble-making animal hater.
Closed Thread