Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old May 17th, 2004, 04:19 AM

puppy soils crate, bowls, help!

Help, has anyone ever heard of this problem? I have a 5 month old bullmastiff puppy. She was bred by an elderly woman that didn't always clean out the pen, but would instead put clean newspaper on top of the messes. Also I believe that the mother was not allowed much interaction with the pups. Now my little girl has no aversion to her own waste. She is in a crate, soils her crate, her bed and will even mess in her bowls. She will walk and piddle at the same time. Piddle and lay in it. I am beside myself. She has plenty of opportunity to go out, and there are occasions when I wake up to a clean cage. If she has no natural instinct to want to keep her den clean, what on earth do I use to train her? Ronda
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Unfortunately, you pup has "dirty dog" syndrome, often seen in pet store and puppy mill dogs.

Housetraining your puppy is going to be quite a challenge. Let me get some info that may help you.

Also, this woman who bred the dog needs to be reported to your SPCA for the conditions she is keeping these dogs in.
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

How long is she left in the crate for? LR may be right on the money BUT perhaps if she is being left TOO long in the crate she just has to go, she is a pup and can't hold it so long.

Make sure you go for a good run and play and that she eliminates before you put in the crate. Sometimes if you just take a pup / dog out for a run and not wait a few mins outside they will need to go as soon as you put them indoors (the exercise gets the bowels moving you see)

At any rate, maybe also look at the food you are using....it could be causing her to have more loose movements.

The crate could be causing her anxiety as well.

I wouldn't 'myself' put her in there to sleep at night. Let her sleep on a doggie bed at the end of your bed at night. She'll feel closer and safer to you.

My pup actually slept with me and sometimes still does because she was so sick and traumatized when we got her. She needed the feeling of safety and security.

You could be retraumatizing her every time you put her in the crate for extended periods of times, especially at night time.
Old May 17th, 2004, 04:29 PM

I think "dirty dog" syndrome is on the money. She doesn't seem in the least traumatized by anything. Very normal in all other ways. As for the food, I also have a St. Bernard puppy (7months) ...I know, what was I thinking....that is thriving and has none of the other pup's issues. As for length of time in the crate, it doesn't seem to matter. She always plays and goes out before her crate time. What a great board. thanks for your help. I will look forward to more information. Ronda
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:13 PM

puppy soiling beds and stuff

I had the exact same problem, in my case Zephyr, spent the first month of her life in a box, completly and so was forced to sit in it day in day out. She had never seen grass before and so had no idea. So while I was expecting "accidents" on the carpet, I was unprepared for her soiling all her beds and our beds! It was a challanging first month. What I did was:- Took her outside 15-20 times a day and stood with her, the second she went I said "Go wee" (my word for it) and then Good Girl and heaps and heaps of pats. At the same time, if I caught her doing it in her beds or anywhere, I'd ignore her, not say a word (no punishment at all!), take the bed or whatever outside to the grass and leave it there for the rest of the day so she could smell it when she went out, then wash it and bring it back inside. It took her approx 1 month to get the idea. She now goes on command if I want her to.
After she had had her injections and could visit with other dogs, I also invited my families dogs over, all who are toilet trained, and so every time they went outside to go, she would follow, I'm sure this helped too. Good luck
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Good advice, sandra!!

But if this puppy is walking and peeing at the same time, the first thing you should do is have her completely checked out at the vet, if you haven't already. She may have a urinary tract problem or infection.

Then as Sandra said, take her out constantly. You could attach her to you with her leash on your belt and learn what her signals are that she is going to "go". Clap your hands to distract her and RUSH her outside and praise like a maniac when she goes. Even if she starts to pee or poop in the house, race her outside anyway and praise when she finishes.

And no - never punish her for her soiling. It's not her fault. You must keep her surroundings very clean, and when she soils, put her elsewhere while you clean it up. You might get a puppy pen with newspapers only in it - no food or water bowls - for times when you can't watch her. If you come in and she has soiled, say something like "YUCK YUCK!!" and immediately take her out and wait for her to go again. You can even take the soiled newspapers outside and put them down for her.

The way she was brought up, added to the fact that mastiffs take a long time to mature means you will need to be very patient and consistant with her, but it IS doable. I am trying to get some more information for you!

If you cant' get this problem under control, you might consult a behaviorist who may have more suggestions to give you. But vet check first!