Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 1st, 2004, 06:20 PM

Unhappy Out of control poop

My little silky terrier had puppies a month ago. This is my first time ever dealing with puppies and a recovering mother. Here is the problem -my dog poops constantly all over the carpet! Most of the time it is by the door to go out and so that area is ruined. There is no rhyme or reason to her pooping either. She was completely trained prior to pregnancy and had only the occassional accident if I wasn't able to make it back from work until quite late. Now, I'll take her out and while I'm in the shower, she'll poop. Or she'll hold it all day like she did before. Her diet hasn't changed so I am lost.

Am I going to have to retrain her once the pups are gone? What do I do in the meantime? I work full-time and can't always make it home for lunch.

Please help!
Old March 1st, 2004, 06:26 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Maybe her diet needs to be changed now and get her spayed so she doesn't have another litter!!

How did she get pregnant to begin with?
Old March 1st, 2004, 07:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Since you are breeding, I'm assuming your bitch has been completely health tested and found to be perfectly healthy? What does your vet say about this problem?

Any sudden changes in behavior or loss of house training in a trained dog are reasons for a vet visit. Your dog may have internal damage associated with whelping.

Very small dogs like Silkies sometimes have problems with delivery, but I'm sure you already know that!
Old March 1st, 2004, 07:15 PM

Luba- While I am sure that your experience with your pets qualifies you to reply to these posts with some knowledge but no 'expertise' you are nevertheless NOT the absolute vanguard of pet morality. I don't think its appropriate for you to attack the author of this post for a simple question, having no further information on her background and experience. Replies like these (and I've seen quite a few) only serve to make this forum inhospitable to all but a few 'elite'. Tone down.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

phatcat, isn't it true that the dog needs to be spayed? Maybe her diet is affecting her. And maybe the dog got pregnant accidentaly with a larger dog, and it did damage her internaly. And in this case the dog should be spayed.

Whats wrong with Luba's reply?
Old March 3rd, 2004, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Also,buy the sounds of it she had no idea what she was getting herself into when she bred this dog.Doesn't sound like she has experience.She did say this was her first time.

Breeding should only be done if you are bettering the breed.Showing the breed,the dog has titles.Is geneticly tested.Leave the breeding to the licenced professional breeders who have been doing it for MANY years.And trust me,you will not see them on a site like this asking questions.

As for Luba...She said nothing wrong in her reply what so ever.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 02:03 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with phatcat's reply and I'm glad someone finally said it. I frequently visit this board and although I don't post much, I try to offer 'advice' to people who have run into the same problems that I've had in the past.

I find that several members here like to make 'attacks' on people when it has very little do with the original post. I wonder why most of them never reply again after being attacked.

Yes, some of these people have made mistakes whether they realize it or not, but for certain people to 'go off' on rants about how, for example, they should have not let their pet get pregnant in the first place just disgusts me! The damage has obviously been done so why bitch about it?

People are here to ask for advice, not to be lectured on morality. Some of you really need to get off your high horses. If someone asks for advice on breeding, by all means, have at it, otherwise, leave these poor people alone.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

The reason some of us go off is because if you have noticed,their cat/dog have been having health problems "after" they had their litter.So this upsets us.And we see it so many times.

When you let your female dog get pregnant,you should realize what can happen.That's when you should be talking to a vet and asking questions.Or doing research as to what can happen during and after a pregnency.

Me personally,I haven't had to deal with unwanted pupies or kittens.Why?Cause there are far to many in the shelters already.

And these are also the ones that people who have had them said they went to "good" homes.Look where they ended up.

I'm sorry,but it just digusts us when we hear someone has let their dog/cat have babies.

5 puppies where brought into our SPCA..All from different people..Why? Cause they didn't want them anymore......Good homes eh?

And why didn't this person take the dog to the vet?
Old March 3rd, 2004, 03:14 PM

That's fine. I completely understand how you feel. It really bothers me as well when people's ignorance causes harm to their pets or whomever. And 'I' definitely don't need a lecture on pet morality. I love animals and I realize that there are horrible things committed against them every day. I think this board is meant to help pets in unfortunate situations, not to freak at the person that put them there without addressing the immediate situation.

The point that we're trying to make is, there is no reason to 'attack' these people. You can 'gently' inform people of the consequences of breeding without being rude and accusatory. I have seen this so many times on this board.

As for why this person didn't take their dog to the vet, ask nicely and maybe they will tell you. There must be a reason, but they've probably been scared away now.

Haven't you ever heard that you catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar?
Old March 3rd, 2004, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I understand your point of view, but you must realize that people here (like Luba) who have worked in shelters, or people who do rescue see things differently than you may.

We see entire litters of kittens and puppies being dumped because someone bred them irresponsibly, didn't bother getting pre-approved homes for them and didn't want to deal with them anymore. This happens even to beautiful purebreds. We rescued a purebred Manx cat, labouring on the street to have her 8 kittens! Yes, I am very angry at the former owner of this cat.

Yes, I agree that once the litter is here, nothing can be done about it, and I did try to answer the poster's question, but others who lurk here may read about the consequences, expense, and requirements for breeding and may change their minds. Dogs and cats are at a critical stage of over-population, and no one should be adding to the numbers, either because they want to make a quick buck,because they think puppies and kittens are cute to have around, or because they think their untitled and unhealth tested dog is "just so cute" that everyone will want a puppy. The shelters are packed with cute, sweet dogs and cats already.

Breeding should be done to better the breed and for NO other reason, and breeding stock should be titled - in conformation or performance - and health tested and cleared for each and every genetic defect common in that breed. Even then I have a problem with someone breeding yet more animals while thousands die every day for lack of homes.

As to why people here don't take their animals to the vet? The "very good reason" we hear most often on this board is "I can't afford it." NOT a very good reason, in my opinion.

And believe me, "Gently informing" the majority of these people does no good whatsoever.

NOTE: I am NOT referring to the original poster in this thread. I have no idea if she has titled and tested her dog. She may very well have. I am speaking in general.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 11:18 PM
Chocolate

macie, what reply do you have to all of this?

let her/him speak you and defend him/herself...

@ times we ARE quick to jump to conclusions but posting questions such as these really DO show much lack of education regarding proper treatment of post-pregancy bitches.

macie, step up to the plate and prove us wrong.

Please.
Old March 3rd, 2004, 11:40 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Yet another bunch of 'I know'ers' who think someone's being 'ganged' up on when we're just trying to get the 'entire' picture.

I simply asked HOW did she get pregnant! If you or others decipher this to be an attack I could care less.

People have adopted dogs from shelters unbenounced to them the dog was pregnant. Or they 'found' a pregnant bitch and decided to keep her. How do we know something of this nature was not the case? How do we know she didn't take this dog from a friend/neighbour/family member who otherwise would have surrendered a pregnant female?

How difficult it is to put the puzzle together with limited pieces.

This is the sort of thinking from the same type of people who say 'I could never work/volunteer in a shelter..I just couldn't do it!'

WHY? Because they can't stand to see what is happening, so let someone else do the work. Let someone else 'fix/repair or try to get homes for all these unwanted pets'

Why don't you take a look under the adoption section and see how many there are..better yet get off your 'rant' and go to a shelter and offer your services rather then vent about your opinion which to me lacks knowledge and merit.

Or, you can sit home and breed your pets, adding to the already overwhelming problem....whichever suits you best....!!!
Old March 4th, 2004, 01:21 AM
Senior Contributor

I know this is a bit off topic, but maybe someone will understand why some of us get so upset when we read about someone with a problem with a pregnant animal or one that just had puppies/kittens.

Several years ago, I lived in Mountain Home, Idaho. I did volunteer work with the Mt. Home HS. We had about an acre fenced in with an 8 foot fence and two buildings. The kennel had 10 indoor/outdoor runs and enough room in the back to keep dogfood and about 15 cat cages.

We kept cats with kittens in the office. I can't remember a single day when you couldn't sit down without kittens crawling all over you. The kennels were NEVER empty.

We did everything we could to find everyone a home, and keep those that didn't find a home right away for as long as we could.

The stories I could tell you about whole litters of kittens having to be put to sleep, dogs coming in emaciated, the horse we found wandering downtown.

Could I do it again? No. I couldn't sleep at night without having nightmares and I came home crying a lot.

So yes, some of us do get a bit indignate when we read about people breeding their animals without even knowing the possible complications of pregnancy and birth. Sorry if we offend anyone, but walk in the shelter workers shoes for a bit and then see how you feel.
Old March 4th, 2004, 02:17 AM
Chocolate

Old March 4th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Well said
Old March 4th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

The reason we aren't more 'gentle' with our replies, is because we're so sick of saying "TAKE IT TO THE VET" that it just kind of comes out wrong.
Old March 5th, 2004, 02:43 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I somewhat agree spoiled but nothing 'came out' wrong here ...it's just individuals attempting to disrupt this post.

Unfortunately the original poster has not replied so we have no additional information
Old March 5th, 2004, 05:01 PM

Been out sick

Thank you everyone for your enthusiastic replies to my original posting. I have been out with the flu and have not checked into the forum until today.

I bred my dog with a yorkie because a friend of mine recently lost her dog and loved my dog, but didn't want to pay the high price for a purebred. I'm not doing this to ruin the breed or overpopulate the dog world. The puppies are going to be spayed and/or neutered. I understand and sympathize with the fact that there is irresponsible breeding going on. But the puppies are going to a great home and I am not ashamed that I have undertaken this.

As for the take her to the vet statement, my vet told me that it was due to a change in her personal situation that is leading to her pooping all the time. I have called a professional, but am looking for advice from people who have experienced this first hand.

I do agree however, as a first-timer on this site, that the overzealous replies are somewhat daunting. I am not a professional breeder nor do I want to be. I have books on whelping and have read numerous websites with advice, but specific issues such as the one I am facing are not dealt with.

If anyone has other advice other than taker her to the vet, I welcome your posting.
Old March 5th, 2004, 05:07 PM

one more thing...

One other thing, on my own, I decided to try paying more attention to my dog than I had even prior to the pregnancy. It seems that this may be the solution. It was simpler because I was at home all day with her, but we haven't had any messes in the last few days.

We'll see if it lasts now that I have returned to work.
Old March 5th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I bred my dog with a yorkie because a friend of mine recently lost her dog and loved my dog, but didn't want to pay the high price for a purebred. I'm not doing this to ruin the breed or overpopulate the dog world.
Good! There truly is a shortage of mutts in the shelters dying every day. Thank you for breeding more!!!! OH, and that is a wonderful reason to breed more mongrels - your friend wanted a dog and mixed breeds are in short supply, right? But I guess you can guarantee that the mixed puppies will be EXACTLY like your dog, right?

Quote:
I'm not doing this to ruin the breed or overpopulate the dog world
Well, guess what? That's what every irresponsible breeder says, but YES, you ARE ruining the breed and adding to the horrendous overpopulation in the dog world. Nice job.

If you do not spay and neuter the puppies before selling or giving them away, ( or whatever)write up a contract, and agree to take them back at any point in their lives, then YOU will be directly responsible for more dogs dying. High price to pay because your friend couldn't get her own dog, isn't it? But don't worry - it's the dogs who will be paying the ultimate price.

Please get your dog spayed and stop contributing to the problem. Maybe you should take a walk through a shelter some day and see what people like you are causing.

I was hoping against hope that I was wrong about you and did give you the benefit of the doubt, but I see it's even worse than I suspected. UGH!!

We need a "barfing" emoticon here.
Old March 5th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I am glad that you were atleast honest with us in telling us that the breeding was done deliberately.

I'm surprised that you didn't spay your dog prior to this, then the notion of even getting her pregnant wouldn't have been an option.

Just simply because your friend liked your dog, was not and is not a good enough reason. You understand that you will in no way be able to keep track of these pups for the rest of their lives.

You have no idea who they will go to in the long run, if they will be abused, tortured or used as breeding machines like what you have done.

Heartless individuals surrender their lovely pets after YEARS of having them. There is nothing to stop ANY of the people you adopt out your pups to from doing the same.

Please please please keep those pups until you can get them spay and neutered yourself. If you give them up before that, you are sending out the wrong message to the owner.... they do not have to alter the pup and if they don't..... who knows what it may come in contact with and become or impregnate.

Now that I've said that.....

The poop issue. If the poop is soft and diarhea like it will atleast be easier to clean up if it has a firmer consistency.
So add some boiled mashed potato or white rice to the dogs diet.

If you take her out more frequently then she won't have the need to go to the w/r indoors.

How often is she left alone? Who is caring for the pups and her all day?

BTW I hope u are over your illness and feeling better.

As LR suggested, please take a look at a shelter OR
visit this link and go through all the unwanted thrown away dogs...some of which are seniors. Some people just don't want them anymore...!!
http://www.torontohumanesociety.com/...ion/index.html
Old March 5th, 2004, 06:53 PM
Senior Contributor

LuckyRescue, calm down!!

Quote:
We need a "barfing" emoticon here.
I agree, we do. But what good is it now? The dog has been bred, and we can't do anything about it now. I totaly agree with your point of view, but please

Now that the puppies are born, you should get each one spayed/neutered, and vet checked with all shots done. Make sure that the new owners know that you will be willing to take the dogs back if anything goes wrong. Keep in contact with the new people by email, phone, or visits. Visiting their house would be best. Get your dog spayed to.
Old March 5th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

some faces of the unwanted ones currently in shelter
young, adults and seniors
Attached Images

Old March 5th, 2004, 07:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Spoiled - I"m only human, and DO lose it once in awhile after hearing the same stories and lame excuses HUNDREDS of times.

My post is harsh, I admit, but it's addressed to ALL the people who have, or will, breed their cats and dogs carelessly and leave the mess for others to clean up.

I see cats who have been thrown from moving cars, left in cardboard boxes in parks, dogs dumped on the street BLIND and defenseless, cats left to have litter after litter (many of which I end up with), ditched on highways, left in empty apartments to starve, entire litters of kittens left in garbage bags like trash, dogs taken to be euthed because their coats are matted...shall I go on?

Emails saying "My dog had puppies and all the friends and family who said they wanted one changed their minds and we can't possibly keep 7 puppies. Can you take them? If not we will have to send them to the SPCA."

And

"I can't afford to have my cat spayed and she keeps having kittens. Can you take 3 (or 4 or 18) cats? Please come and get them today."

I'm on this board for the animals, and not to coddle irresponsible people who exploit them and thoughtlessly bring more into a world glutted with them. Some people need a wake up call, and I cannot think of a much worse reason to breed your dog than that your friend wants a puppy but is too cheap to pay a reputable breeder for one.

Sorry if that offends you.
Old March 11th, 2004, 11:13 PM

Give me a break!!!

Honestly. If the point of this website is to offend and make people like me never want to seek advice from so-called professional people then you have done your job quite effectively.

This should not be an advice forum but a get on your high horse and soap box and make everyone not directly associated with the pain and suffering of animals feel guilty for even asking a question!

Give me a break!
Old March 12th, 2004, 12:06 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Okay...break
Old March 31st, 2004, 04:59 PM

Damn,damn,damn!! Not to bring up old memories but how I wish I was on this forum then!!! But alas, I just read this today. All I have to say is MEOW!!! If people don't want the truth, then don't ask the questions!!
Old March 31st, 2004, 06:13 PM
Senior Contributor

But Luba... those all look like pretty healthy dogs to me. Nothing like this one, which I found on a humane society website.
Attached Images