Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old July 13th, 2005, 03:21 PM

Looking to adopt a cat

Our family is looking to adopt a cat - any age, just no kittens. Can be female or male. Must be friendly and good with children 7+. No one in the family has allergies. Cat must be spayed/neutered. Cat would be an indoor family pet only.

Any help on where we could adopt a cat (a rescue group would be ideal, as we'd be saving a life) would be much appreciated.

We are located in Cornwall Ontario.
Old July 13th, 2005, 03:23 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Cornwall OSPCA on Boundary Road always has cats.
Old July 13th, 2005, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver
Cornwall OSPCA on Boundary Road always has cats.
We've already checked - lots of kittens and none of the adult cats that are there are good with children
Old July 13th, 2005, 03:30 PM
IHeart Marty&Minou's Paws

Did you already check petfinder??

www.petfinder.com

Good luck!
Old July 13th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

hmmmm, k, try Westminister Pet Sanctuary... http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/ON149.html
They are a very reputable rescue and one of the directors is in Cornwall area quite often!
Old July 13th, 2005, 03:43 PM

Did a quick search on adoptable pets in Ontario/Quebec section of Petfinder. Checked out the link for Westminster...I'm going to contact them now -- thanks BMD lover
Old July 13th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

You're very welcome! Please post back when you do get your new furbaby!
Old July 13th, 2005, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I just came from the Oakville HS,they have tons of beautiful cats,longhaired,Siamese and anything anybody would want,it's a no-kill shelter and they are overwhelmed by cats.But it's a bit far from Cornwall..
www.oakvillehumane.ca
Old July 13th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Maybe check with LuckyRescue.
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Senior Contributor

We are about 1 hour from Cornwall, and have healthy, beautiful adult cats for adoption. All are spayed/neutered and vet checked.

Most are in foster homes, so we usually know if they are good with kids, other cats etc.

Please take a peek at our site! Check out Kilmet, the beautiful white cat who is sweet and gentle, and is very unhappy in the cage at the vet!
http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/QC12.html
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

sorry LR, should have mentioned you. I just automatically thought Cornwall so went with Westminister when the OSPCA was out. I apologize if I've offended.
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm not offended!!!! I'm always happy to see cats get homes, no matter where they come from!
Old July 13th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
I'm not offended!!!! I'm always happy to see cats get homes, no matter where they come from!
Oh good. I'm having one of those semi brain dead days!
Old July 13th, 2005, 08:29 PM

Sorry I didn't post sooner - been so busy looking through "cat postings" from rescues. There are so many cats in need of homes

I have been in contact with Kelly from Westminster...very nice lady. If everything goes well she is willing to do a meet and greet here with us with a beautiful tabby named Greta. All cats/kittens are socialized with children, other cats and dogs in their rescue. That is definitely a plus. We are dog owners and have to take that in to consideration as well.

I'm supposed to call Kelly back with some more choices on cats so that she can match the perfect cat for our household.

I am open to any suggestions that any of you may have as to what to look for in cat personalities. I have been around cats but have never been a cat owner - so I'm quite green as to what to look for - as dogs are quite different than cats.
Old July 13th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Senior Contributor

My suggestion is a very calm, relaxed and laid back cat - neutered males are often like that. Find one who solicits petting or rolls on his back when you greet him. In other words, a "bomb proof" guy.

Females can be a little more stand-offish, while males are often always up for a cuddle session.

Of course I'm speaking in generalities,and you may find what you are looking for in either sex! I'm just partial to the boys.

"Mitso" here, from our site, is a good demonstration of the type of cat you want if you have kids and/or are not experienced with cats - a complete "Lover-boy" who is not bothered by anything!. Let us know how the meeting with Greta goes!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Lucky Rescue; July 13th, 2005 at 09:09 PM.
Old July 14th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Senior Contributor

I too was going to suggest a laid back,male neutered cat.I have never tried to introduce a cat to a dog,but I believe a male cat would be easier.
Females are not always skittish and shy,but often...I find the total opposite in dogs,but again,not all the time,only in my experience.
Lucky,I saw Mitsou on your site,he looks like an absolute love-bug and soo beautiful :love:
Old July 14th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

ohh... Mitso is absolutely adorable!
Old July 14th, 2005, 07:38 AM
IHeart Marty&Minou's Paws

LR, Mitso is just such a doll, is he a cat you have available for adoption?

With a face like that, and a great photo - its not going to be hard to find that guy a home!
Old July 14th, 2005, 08:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Hello Nuttinfluffer, I'm also in Cornwall and we have sort of met, netwise that is, remember the black lab/shephard pups for sale in the ottawa ads?? You sent me an email when he reduced the price on them, I'm Shelley that adopted Brina *S* great to see you on the boards!! Good luck getting your cat!
Old July 14th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Mitso is on our site, but is not one of ours. I think he's adorable and if I didn't have my 3 freaks, I would adopt him myself. I love big cuddly boys!!

To the OP - sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread!!
Attached Images

Old July 14th, 2005, 02:18 PM

Talking

Hey Shelley/Melinda...small world isn't it I believe we have found our cat The husband found him online this morning and both he & I have contacted the rescue group. They are near Rawden QC

Not sure if the link will work but here goes
http://tinyurl.com/bsbcu

If it doesn't work this is his description: Filou is approx. 1 1/2 - 2 years Maine Coon, is a laid back cat, isn't nervous with kids, dogs or other cats. He's been neutered, all shots UTD, healthy, given flea prevention, etc. The husband fell in love as soon as he saw the picture of him and I melted too.

Looks like I'll be shopping the next few days for lots of cat supplies
Old July 14th, 2005, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Maine Coons are to me one of the biggest most beautiful cats,I am really envious But very happy the kitty gets a good home!
Old July 14th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Agree with Chico! We've had a few Maine Coons in our rescue, and they were just fabulous, but BIG (between 22 and 26 lbs)

Good luck and let us know all about your new addition!!
Old July 15th, 2005, 07:04 AM
Senior Contributor

I am soooo glad nuttinfluffer! Maine coons are gorgeous cats. Maybe I'll see you at the pet supply store, I'll be the one stocking up on puppy treats *L*
Old July 16th, 2005, 07:53 AM

Well our new cat arrived last night We decided to change his name from Filou to a cool cat needing a cool name so it is...................

The Fonz aka Fonzi aka Fonzerelli (named after Henry Winkler's character in Happy Days). The name suits him

Fonz is the most laid-back, relaxed, friendly, cuddle-bum of a cat. He bonded to us immediately and adores the kids

Haven't had him meet the dogs yet as we don't want to overwhelm him - so for the next few days he is in our family room - furnished with several comfy couches; a big screen tv; his extra large litterbox; plenty of fresh water & food and lots of toys.

He's already showing wonderful signs that he approves of his new forever home.

We're all in cloud 9 over Fonz
Old July 16th, 2005, 08:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Nuttin,I am very happy for Fonz..a little concerned about introducing him to the dogs,but then I am a worry-wart
There are a lot of people here who can give you advice on how to conduct the introduction...but I think most of all you need patience,it could be a long slow process and I hope your dogs do not have a strong preydrive,wanting Fonz for lunch..
Did you say what kind of dogs you have,are they GSD? and of course,photos of all of them is required on this Forum
Old July 16th, 2005, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
a little concerned about introducing him to the dogs,but then I am a worry-wart
I hope your dogs do not have a strong preydrive,wanting Fonz for lunch..
Did you say what kind of dogs you have,are they GSD?
I have 2 Newfoundlands & 2 Labrador Retrievers. The only one that has a preydrive is my youngest Lab, Cole....but I'm sure he will learn his place once/if Fonz decides to swipe Cole's snout. Most dogs learn their place when it comes to cats I'm only going to start doing introductions with the dogs once Fonz has been here for a few days and both canines & feline have gotten used to each others "smell". I will also be doing introductions individually
Old July 16th, 2005, 02:24 PM
Senior Contributor

If you know this already, I apologize. When you do introductions, never take a dog into the cat's room. He must know he has a safe haven to retreat to if he wishes.

I can tell you what I did, if it helps. After whatever I had settled into one room, I then put a babygate on the door, lifted up off the floor just high enough so the cat could go in and out, but no dog could. This way the cat can come out when he's ready, and will be much calmer knowing he has a "safe place".

Of course this only works if you have a dog who respects barriers. If not, you can put a hook on the wall, and use a chain to keep the door open just enough for the cat to get in.

So glad you're taking your time. That's the way to do it! So many people are in a big rush for some reason and when you mess up introductions with cats you can have a big problem.
Old August 19th, 2005, 02:30 PM

Looking for a Maine Coon

Thought I would continue with this thread - as for some reason computer isn't letting me post a new thread???

Fonz - our Maine coon that we adopted/rescued in July is amazing and has adjusted to his new forever family He LOVES us, the kids and is tolerating the dogs nicely Did a very very slow introduction and with the advice of LuckyRescue (thank you) the babygate trick did the job Fonz is eating a great cat food - Nutro complete care - has a wide assortment of cat toys (spent a small fortune at PetSmart LOL) and the husband built a 6 1/2 foot cat tree which Fonz absolutely uses and enjoys immensely!!!!

Anyhow, the kids are starting school in the next couple of weeks and my dogs have each other as companionship ~ they are best buddies ~ we're seriously thinking of adopting/rescuing another Male, Neutered, Maine Coon. Does anyone think this is a bad idea?? I could be totally wrong here, but I've fallen so in love with the Maine Coon's that we really want another one The rescue we got Fonz from doesn't have any Maine Coon's. I saw a gorgeous Tabby-Maine Coon mix named Vagabond on SOSMiow - don't know if he's still available. I put a call into them and am awaiting a response back.

Last edited by nuttinfluffer; August 19th, 2005 at 02:32 PM. Reason: forgot to put in title
Old August 19th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Senior Contributor

How about a quick spin to Montreal? Have we got a Maine Coon for you. Here he is, an adorable fellow, not young (about 7) but healthy, neutered and lookin' for love. May be able to arrange transport!
Attached Images