Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:35 AM

cat peeing on our bed

Our cat is just over 1 now and as a kitten we had issues with her peeing on our bed. Through positive litter redirection and seclusion into selected rooms the problem stopped and Ruby was fine to start sleeping on our bed again. 8 months later and Ruby again has began to pee only on our bed. None of the remedies from before are working and unfortunately with two small children at home the doors to the bedrooms do not always remain closed. Any suggestions?
Old June 23rd, 2008, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

Maybe a vet-check would be a good place to start to rule out any medical issues, and after that perhaps some of the tips from these links might help:

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/inappro-elim2.html
http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm

Good luck!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:02 AM
~Cat Servent~

Vet first of course just to be sure it's not an illness.

I had the exact problem with my Windy. What worked here is a thorough cleaning with a shampooer (I have the Bissell little green and used the pet odor removal soap) of the matress and added a mattress cover, not a cheap one, one of the good ones that is pretty thick and supposed to be water resistant. Since putting on the mattress cover and never leaving the bed unmade (ie, no sheets at all) we have not had another accident in the last few years.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old July 14th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Really concerned and looking for help

I took Ruby to the vet and she had a bladder infection. Our vet gave her a 2 week anti-biotic injection. She perked up almost right away and I was happy to see some of her old spunk. About 4 days later, her strange behaviour returned and she started peeing in strange places again. I took her back to the vet and her bladder infection was still strongly present. She is now on 3 weeks of a pill anti-biotic and he gave her a hormone shot thinking that maybe her sfincter(sp?) muscles were underdeveloped. She is being more social but is still peeing. Has anyone heard of this before? Is our mattress ruined or is there a miracle cleaner out there.

Really concerned and hoping for help