Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old April 25th, 2009, 10:28 AM

Evangers canned cat food and By Nature 95% meat and Organics

Looking for thoughts and opinions on these 2 canned cat food products. What have been your experiences and do you still feel safe feeding these to your cats after last years fiasco?

I came across these two products on the internet. I have heard a few people mention them in the past here and there. But I was looking to add new higher quality canned cat food into my cats rotation. After reading their ingredients for the Evangers Turkey & Butternut Squash and By Nature's 95% Meat and Organics I was pretty impressed. They do not contain all the fillers, grains, veggies and fruits that I feel are not required in a cats diet. After hearing they were never implicated in any recalls and most of their ingredients are from the US I figured I'd give them a try. So I ordered some of the Evangers Turkey and Butternut Squash offline and should receive it this week. As of right now I am trying to find somewhere to buy the By Nature online here in Canada.

Today I have now just come across alot of negative talk about the Evangers and By Nature's pet food lines. I am scared I made the wrong choice for my cat. Although it will not be the only thing she eats. It will be fed in rotation (once a week or so).

I feed my other cat a strictly raw diet. I would love to feed Lexus an all raw diet as well....right now she gets it as a treat. She was severly constipated for months and the full raw diet seemed to make it worse. So I switched her back to canned. She recently was diagnosed with Megacolon and I have her going regular now on medication. Everything is going great after months of hell for her. So I don`t want to rock the boat with her on a raw diet just yet....so for now I am trying to have high quality cannned cat foods in her rotation.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
Old April 25th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Senior Contributor

I think both of those brands are some of the better options available. I keep the Evanger's Pheasant and Roasted Chicken in my rotation (no stores here seem to stock the Turkey/Squash), as well as By Nature Organics (non-seafood flavours only). The By Nature is quite high in phosphorus, so if you have any cats with kidney issues, you might want to stay away from it.

Most of the past controversy with those 2 had to do with their canning quality control (they're both canned at the same facilities). I personally haven't had a problem and while I don't feed either one as the sole diet, I have no problem rotating them amongst the 10 or so brands that I feed my cat.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 25th, 2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
The By Nature is quite high in phosphorus, so if you have any cats with kidney issues, you might want to stay away from it.
Thanks Sugarcatmom

How is the phosphorus compared to Wellness grainfree canned, Wellness Core, Evo 95% meat and Natural Balance limited ingredients (not really sure if I like this one yet)?

I am not sure if she has kidney issues...although in the next little while I will probably get blood work done on her especially if I will have to keep her on this medication long term...
Old April 25th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khari View Post
How is the phosphorus compared to Wellness grainfree canned, Wellness Core, Evo 95% meat and Natural Balance limited ingredients (not really sure if I like this one yet)?
Here is a chart listing the phosphorus amounts (in mg per 100 Kcal) of some of the more common brands/flavours: http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/CanFoodNew.html

The best of the quality foods regarding phosphorus levels are a few of the Wellness grain-free and Innova Evo 95% varieties (Precise is also okay). Wellness Core isn't listed there, but here is a link to a previous post with Core's nutritional breakdown: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....sis#post755332

By Nature flavours are in the mid to high 300's for phosphorus. Not sure about Natural Balance, as they aren't very forthcoming with their info.

Forgot to mention in my other post that if you have a PetSmart near you, they stock By Nature Organics, in case you wanted to try it without having to buy a whole case.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old April 27th, 2009, 06:55 PM

I called the Petsmart here in Canada (I don't have one near I live) and they do not carry the By Nature Organics / 95% meat canned cat food. Still working on trying to find some here in Canada that I can try.

The Evangers Turkey & Butternut Squash arrived at my work this morning. I took it home at lunch and tried to feed it to Lexus. She took a few licks and walked away. Kind of disappointed b/c she has not walked away from the many canned foods I have been trying to get into her rotation over the last couple of months. When I got home from work for the day I tried again and no go. My cat that I feed raw too really liked it though

One thing I found was that it didn't really have a very strong smell as compared to the other foods I have been feeding her. That may have something to do with it. Or maybe she didn't like the squash or turkey? I will try another can in a couple of days to see if she'll take to it. Cats are very finicky
Old April 27th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I called the Petsmart here in Canada (I don't have one near I live) and they do not carry the By Nature Organics / 95% meat canned cat food. Still working on trying to find some here in Canada that I can try.
Strange, they definitely carry it at 2 of the PetSmarts here in Calgary.

Quote:
She took a few licks and walked away.

Quote:
Cats are very finicky
Ain't that the truth. Can you mix a tsp in with some food she does like to get her used it? Or maybe sprinkling some pulverized treats on top would entice her enough to try more. I know with my guy, there are a number of foods that are currently on his list of favourites which were originally rejected. So there's still hope!

Old April 27th, 2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Strange, they definitely carry it at 2 of the PetSmarts here in Calgary.
Have you seen it recently? One of the By Nature's reps told me to call Petsmart or look on their website. The website did not have any canned cat food for By Nature. I found the Canadian # to call, phoned and she said they do not carry this???

Quote:
Can you mix a tsp in with some food she does like to get her used it? Or maybe sprinkling some pulverized treats on top would entice her enough to try more. I know with my guy, there are a number of foods that are currently on his list of favourites which were originally rejected. So there's still hope!
I didn't even think of this....I was just really disappointed she didn't take to it right away because she has taken to every other one I have offered her So, when I feed her before bed I will mix a bit in with another canned food. Thanks for helping me through my brain ft - hahaha! I'll let you know how it goes....
Old April 27th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Have you seen it recently?
I was there about a week or so ago and they had some on the shelves. Just the "Organics" varieties, not the "95% meat" ones.

Old April 27th, 2009, 08:39 PM

I will give them a call again tomorrow and mention about having it in their store in Calgary. The rep from By Nature said to contact Petsmart again to see if they will get it in for me??
Old April 28th, 2009, 08:07 PM

I contacted the Canadian order line again today regarding the By Nature canned cat food. The operator said they do not carry the canned. I mentioned that the store in Calgary had it in their store. And she said that she could not speak for the individual stores and what they carry. Basically the online website is no longer carrying canned food altogether. She also mentioned they supposedly have too many problems bringing canned food into Canada. She kept on telling me to go to or call my local Petsmart and see if they carry it there. She could not get it through her head that I DO NOT live anywhere near a Petsmart (there isn't even one in my Province). She is sending a request into corporate to see if they can get me the canned from one of the canadian stores to ship to me??? She didn't sound too hopeful...
Old April 30th, 2009, 08:02 PM

I received a call from the store manager at the Windsor Petsmart today. She didn't understand why the website would not get me in the canned but she said she had the By Nature Organics canned in store and would gladly send me some. As we got into talking we decided I should call the Regina, SK Petsmart b/c the freight charge would be so much cheaper as they are much closer to me here in Winnipeg. The store manager at the Regina store said he would definately ship me what I wanted. So, I will leave a comment once the order arrives and my cat has her first try of By Nature Organics cat food.
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:54 PM

Well, the By Nature arrived yesterday at work. Came home at lunch and fed the Chicken & Chicken liver one. Both cats liked it. Lexus does not like the Turkey & Turkey liver one so far. As soon as I opened the can up I could see the similarities with the Evangers canned food (I am feeling very iffyabout the Evangers canned). And if I remember corectly, Evangers makes By Nature. Personally I am not very confident with either of these brands. They seem a lesser quality food to me. I don't know if my mind is being blurred by all the forums that I have been reading of the problems people are having with Evangers and the brands they make....
Old June 13th, 2009, 07:22 AM

FDA Suspends Temporary Emergency Permit of Pet Food Maker

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced today it was suspending the temporary Emergency Permit issued to Evanger's Dog & Cat Food Co., Inc.

Read the full article here:
http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/.../ucm166265.htm

By Nature's canned food was being canned at Evangers (I found grain hulls in their grainfree products). But Ray @ By Nature confirmed on 6/9/2009 that By Nature canned pet foods is now canned at Menu Foods. And their Organic line is now canned at Performance Pet Food. It just wasn't stated when the switch was made.
Old June 15th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Since I feed the Evanger's 100% meat canned dog food as a supplement to kibble, I went to Evanger's website to see what they had to say about the FDA action. They are claiming that it is basically a paperwork error. From what I am reading, they are saying that they tried to update the processing protocol they use, and delete old protocols no longer in use but that the FDA says they did not file the new protocol properly.

http://www.evangersdogfood.com/about...2009_Joel.html

After the fiasco with all the pet foods in 2007 though, I am certainly happy to see the FDA actually inspecting a dog food manufacturer though.