Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 19th, 2013, 07:40 AM

two male dogs

does any 1 have any more advice or a final outcome.. ihave 2 male dogs from the same litter.. theyre just over a year old.. theyre westie .. border terrier cross..... they hav recentley started fighting wildly n i ended up in hospital with bites to my arms. when i stepped in to stop them.. they werent attacking me just accidentley... i watch for all the signs..and do all i can to avoid them doing this.. i ended up with the dogs thru bad advice but i love animals n want to the best thing for them...weve had them since pups n i hav 5 kids and the dogs are great with... ive been told about hormone injections by the vet.. is this a good idea... and does any1 have any good advice or is ther no happy outcome even thru time and perseveerance...thanks
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

are the dogs neutered? If not I'd start with that first.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 19th, 2013, 08:25 AM

thanks. theyve just been neuterd and im hopeing that helps. just been hearing a lot of negativity about same litter brothers. will do all it takes and all advice welcome. thank you.
Old June 19th, 2013, 10:28 AM
Senior Contributor

You have two male dogs who are now coming into maturity and are challenging each other. I have a male and female who are not littermates but the same age at 6 months and the female is challenging the male constantly.

Having the dogs fixed will definitely help, but that can take several months for the hormones to settle down. Is it possible for you to separate the dogs when you are not there to supervise their behaviour. If you can't separate them you could end up with very large vet bills to say nothing of your own medical problems.

Have you done obedience training with them yet? It would probably be helpful for them to help them understand you control all things, not them. Good luck to you, with 5 kids in the house you're going to need it.
Old June 19th, 2013, 03:33 PM

yea the dogs are separated at all times when am not ther. the big problem is i stay next a farm and the farmer breeds dogs.. there are 3 females who have free run all over farm n sorrounding area... 90% of the time theyre gr8 together but when they go its all out. struggling to split them.. 1 dog is totally food orientated n easy trained. the other has no interest in treats or even meats and is obviousley more difficult to teach.. need the dog whisperer.lol was really wondering if am fighting a looseing battle or if perseveerance will pay off.
Old June 20th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Senior Contributor

You might have a combination of problems.

Litter mates may fight regardless of gender or sexual status.

Testosterone might be present in measurable amounts in the body up to 6 months after a neuter. Plus neutering is not some magic panacea that will correct non sexually dimorphic behaviour. And, recent research based on CBARQ shows more aggression in neutered dogs, not less.

Age one or so is when many dogs come into themselves and start to stand up and assert themselves.

Border Terrors are a feisty little dog and not for the faint of heart.

By hormone supplements you mean adding testosterone back? Depends how recent the neuter was whether you need that. I suggest you check out the Champdogs website, in the U.K. and ask about that there. That's the only place I've seen that discussed and folks there seem to be doing it for the male dog that is neutered and bullied by other dogs.

I don't suppose someone crossing BT with W, deliberately or not, can be considered a reputable breeder but have you asked the person you got them from? Lots of people do keep litter mates, especially as working dogs on a farm and there's another idea. Small as they are these dogs are high energy and need to work so are they getting enough exercise?

Good luck. The one thing I see that you can do yourself immediately is the exercise. I'd also get them into obedience classes, separate classes so they learn to focus on you as leader and not pay so much attention to each other.
Old June 21st, 2013, 05:19 AM

thanks for ur advice... exercise been stepped up...am knackered.lol. been told also should only neuter 1 of the dogs preferably not the dominant one if u can tell n thid will help greatly with pack posistion..thanks again for ur advice.. every little bit has big results.. thanks