Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:20 PM

Question Looking for the right type of dog

Hi all,

I am hoping someone can give me some good advice. I am looking to adopt a dog, I have a 7-year-old son who has been around dogs his whole life (just not at home) and is fantastic with them already. However I live in an apartment, it is a very large apartment though (2 floors) but I have no backyard or frontyard. I am at home all day and am prepared to put the dog/puppy in obedience school. I want to have a dog that is good with kids (I have lots of nephews, so it will be around kids all the time) but that wont seem too couped up in an apartment.

Can anyone suggest what type of breed I should look for? I have been looking at a few Australian Cattle Dogs, but I am not too sure if this will even be a good fit. I dont want to get a dog then have to give it up, wanna get it right the first time.

Thanks very much,

Danielle
Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:36 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Hello and welcome

Cattle dogs are beautiful and loving BUT very high energy and would probably suit a house with a yard to run a lot in (my opinion).

What you may want to do, is get a dog from a rescue ... a dog that is currently in a foster home that has children and thus the foster family and rescue can tell you what the dogs behaviour is like around kids.

Where are you located Danielle?
Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:40 PM

I am located in Etobicoke, Ontario (Toronto West). I was tlooking into this breed (Australian Cattle dog) and I was thinking the same thing, although it is small it still may need the yard.

Do you have any suggestions??

Thanks,

Danielle
Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:44 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Ohhhhh ya I have lots of suggestions!!!

a big smile!

Many rescues won't adopt to people with younger children, for a good reason. Kids sometimes aren't that easy on dogs. Whats your childs demeanor and personality like? Gentle and easy going or will the dog be pushed around and irritated? You think he'll give the dog some space and not pull on the tail or ears (kids do that sometimes)

There are a lot of rescues in our area that have many dogs that need homes.

One thing you may want to consider is fostering a dog before you actually adopt. Have you considered fostering and do 'you' have any dog experience yourself.

Fostering gets a dog out of a dangerous situation (potential death) puts them in a loving home where they are secure and safe. Gives the foster parent and family time to bond with them and maybe just maybe they make the decision to adopt the dog themself!!

How do you think about that?
Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:51 PM

Well for starters, I am experienced with dogs, I grew up with them but wanted to wait until my son was old enough to not hurt it to get him one.

My son's demeanor is fairly easy-going, he also has lots of experience with dogs just not at home yet. I have worked full-time until a couple of months ago and his caregiver had a Golden Retriever (who was very big), he was with her since he was about 3, also, he visits his Dad's house regularily and he has 2 dogs so my son knows not to pull on them, jump on them etc. (he grew out of this at around 3 1/2 years old). I have for about the past year been teaching him how to properly deal with strange dogs (or any for that matter).

This is why I am looking now, he is very gentle and definitly ready.

I have thought about fostering the only problem is that, I dont want my son to get attached then have to give it up.

Thanks,

Danielle
Old June 23rd, 2004, 12:58 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Well if you get attached to a foster dog you can adopt them

If you are serious, let me get in touch with some of my contacts and see what I can come up with for you.

In the meantime you can go on to www.petfinder.com
and do a search for dogs in Ontario rescues that currently need homes.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 01:00 PM

Thanks very much...do you have any suggestions for the type of breed I should look for?

thanks,

Danielle
Old June 23rd, 2004, 01:28 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I think a lot depends on the dogs personality, activity level, if they have lived in an apt setting or around kids before.

If you're home all day and can take the dog out on walks then thats a good thing. But you'll have to look at whether you feel your situation will change in the next while.

When you go on petfinder they have icons telling you if the dog is good with kids. Also you can send an email to the rescue asking if the dog is suitable for apt living and with a 7yr old child.

Most rescues are very reputable and since the dog is more then likely in foster care, they can give you a lot of information on them.

Breed issue is a touchie subject. I have my own views on what breeds wouldn't do well in apt's. But each 'dog' itself is different.

However you may want to stay away from the hound breeds, they bark and howl a lot and your neighbours may not like this very much. Besides, there are so many mixed breeds..it wouldnt' be fair to leave them out of the search

Here is just a sample for you of what is currently available:

Remember seniors need a chance too !!

Jazz
Dog
Collie Mix

Size: Large
Sex: Male
I.D:

Notes: Jazz - I am an 11 years old Collie X, male, 98 lbs. A gentle and friendly big guy. Great with kids, dogs and cats. Surrendered May 31, 2004. Contact Sherry 905-840-5610.
lchan3@rogers.com

Gizmo is described by shelter staff as a 6 yr. guy who loves women and children, but is leary of men and uniformed people. He is good on a leash. Gizmo caught his tail in a door, it is shorter. He also has cherry eye, so adopter must take to vet to treat this. Photo is loading. Call 1-800-898-8606 Keswick, Georgina. See disclaimer on my home page.

maturedogs@sympatico.ca

English Springer Spaniel,Yellow Labrador Retriever Mix

Size: Medium
I.D:

Notes: Pal is described by shelter staff as 4 yrs., well-mannered, and good with kids and other dogs. Owner's form states he is an "excellent" dog who loves to play ball and lived with kids as young as 3 yrs. Handsome photo now loading. Call 613-968-4673 Belleville. See disclaimer on my home page.
maturedogs@sympatico.ca

Lilly
Dog
Boxer,Black Labrador Retriever

Size: Large
Sex: Female
I.D:

Notes: Milly is a dog that can offer unconditional love, she'll make you feel like the most important person in the world with her boxer wiggle. She has a wonderful personality and is very eager to please, so she learns very quickly. She crates easily and is house trained. She gets on well with other dogs and kids. We don't know about cats but have no reason to think she wouldn't get on well with them. She knows how to sit , shake a paw and take a treat gently. She was scheduled for euthenisation but we wanted to give her a chance to find a new family so we brought her home from the shelter. She is a Boxer Lab Mix about 1 1/2years old. She has a black/chocolate coat, Boxer athletic body, Lab face and a docked tail. She is worth more then being thrown away and never claimed at the animal shelter. Can you provide a warm home for this great girl? Please ONLY inquire to boxersrus@rogers.com as this is a private adoption.
boxersrus@rogers.com

Casey
Dog
German Shepherd Dog

Sex: Female
I.D:

Notes: Casey is a lovely 2 year old female. Casey is in foster with 2 children and adores them. She can be possessive with her toys tho, so children would have to be very well mannered and know not to tease her, just like any other dog. Casey is housetrained, and is a wonderful companion. Her foster family is home with her so she would like someone who is home alot. Casey loves guests and is excited to greet them, she is working on jumping up. Casey has been friendly with other dogs, and would probably do well with a laid back large breed male dog. We should have a new photo soon, Casey has gained weight and is looking and feeling great, her foster family is definitely giving her lots of love! Please check back for more updates.
info@gsrt.net

Toto
Dog
German Shepherd Dog

I.D:

Notes: Toto is a very sweet approximately 2 year old boy who has probably never lived in a house before, and just entered foster care. He is eager to please and quick to learn. Toto's foster Mom just sent this update: Toto is very gentle White German Shepherd Dog. He likes kids and actively walks up to them to receive pets. He does not know sit or stay and has no recall yet so a fenced yard is a necessity. Toto strikes me as a dog that spent a lot of time being tied up and being ignored. He really seemed to not know what to do with dog toys in the beginning and showed fear of them..now he chases ball and will try other dog toys if another dog is there to demonstrate them. Toto is timid around adults..he now will come and ask for pets but he needs some time to warm up to you. If you approach him with pets he will stay and let you pet him but he is still sort of nervous about what you will do next. Toto is a good walker and does not pull...he goes on a flat collar and usually he walks behind you after the first 2 km. Toto likes other dogs a lot. He really comes to life when there is someone to play with. He does not play rough and he just likes to run and play. Toto also likes cats and would like to play with them too. Our Snoopy cat, decided that Toto looked like a pal one day and proceeded to mark Toto on the face and then gave him a royal tongue cleaning. Toto really liked it and was disappointed when the cleaning was done. Please read "before you adopt" on my main website: http://www.gsrt.net/before.htm to learn about the adoption process. and you may fill in an online adoption form here: http://www.gsrt.net/forms.htm Thanks
Old June 23rd, 2004, 01:34 PM

Danielle - Im not sure what the best breed for you is, but try doign a "google" search (or other) for dogs, I have seen several "quizzes" that ask about your living arrangements, what you want, etc and gives a list of breeds that might fit for you........ from there you could research each breed a little more.
however, Im always a HUGE fan of adopting a rescue or humane society dog - just make sure to visit with it first and try to research its prominant breed(s). either way, without a yard, you will definetely have to be prepared to take your dog for lots of walks and/or to dog parks to get some more outdoor exercise - but it sounds like you would and Im sure youll make a great family for some waiting doggie good luck!
Old June 23rd, 2004, 02:00 PM

Purina.com has this great questionnaire that associates you with a breed of dog depending on alot of factors (space, grooming, energy, learning ability...) Click on "Dog selector" on the left side of the screen. Their database has 160 dogs and after you answer a few questions (you can do some extra questions too for added compatibility) it places the 160 breeds in the order that best suits you! Even if the 1st one doesn't appeal to you, you can look down the list. Plus it gives great descriptions about the dogs and you can compare many breeds at one time. Try it it's pretty cool.

Also once you choose a few breeds you would be interested in getting you can come on pets.ca and on the homepage there is a link about breed descriptions on the left side of the screen, it's actually pretty good, it includes most breeds and give great info.

Good luck with your search.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Aussie Cattle dogs are wonderful at doing their jobs, but not great housepets. They are very driven, dominant and tend to nip - which is perfect for herding cattle!

A breed I always recommend if you are looking for a gentle, affectionate, clean and quiet housepet is a rescued Greyhound.

In the home they are couch potatoes, and do well with regular walking and perhaps a good run every week in a safe area.

I think they're wonderful, and they are beautiful!
Old June 23rd, 2004, 03:50 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

GREAT point LR they are wonderful !!!!!
Old June 23rd, 2004, 03:56 PM
Senior Contributor

It is difficult to recommend a breed to someone you have never met. There are pros and cons to every breed and while one might seem perfect for someone you know on-line, they might have a habit you don't know about, quirky neighbors you don't know about, etc.

Greyhounds are excellent apartment pets. The group that my mom fosters for regularly adopts to children with young children. (Depending on the young children.)

I have a wonderful beagle mix that I love to death, but I once had a "real" beagle in the house and it drove me nuts in about 5 minutes!

My best advice would be to go to your local shelter. They have lots of dogs of all ages that need homes. Since you are an experienced dog owner, you know all about training the dog to be a good "citizen" and how they don't just grow up that way.

If you have your heart set on a pure bred dog, visit a dog show. There is nowhere else in the world you can look at more different dogs and talk to lots of people experienced with that breed.

I would not recommend any herding dog. If they are well bred, then they have WAY to much drive to be comfortable in an apartment all day.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 04:37 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Lav R,
Tx for saying that about herding breeds in apts..got my head chopped off by someone who has (4) I think border collies in an apt when I said that once. (In addition those dogs are kept in one room, locked in all day)

SMH

ADOPT-A-GREYHOUND
OF CENTRAL CANADA, INC.
R.R. #3, North Gower, ON KOA 2T0 Ph: (613) 489-0654
Procedures Done Prior to Adoption
Temperament assessment
Spay or neuter
Professional teeth-cleaning
Full set of vaccinations
Heartworm testing
Fecal screen
De-worming (if necessary)
Flea bath and grooming
Supplies Included with Each Adopted Greyhound
A 6 foot nylon lead
A properly fitted greyhound safety collar
An I.D. tag
An information package detailing the unique medical needs of greyhounds
Information about the greyhound's racing career, if available
An owner's manual explaining how to help your greyhound adjust to being a pet
Old June 23rd, 2004, 05:17 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Adopt with an open mind. Even though I have worked with animals for over 25 years I have not shared my home with many.
Actually, 15 years ago I hated Rottweilers. Jesse came into my life quite by accident, I won her in court in an unrelated business scam. She was an older dog and she stole my heart. My first dog was a Great Dane. I have had Poodles and a few mixes. Ciara is a Rotti too but breed does not matter to me. It is the dog that grabs my heart and will not let go..
When I worked with animals I had to have a tough skin so to speak, I could take them all home believe me. Certain ones just "speak" at you, regardless of pedigree or breed, or even species, felines etc.etc. I have always been happy with any animal that chose me.

Shop for personality....introverts always catch my eye.

My opinion.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 05:20 PM
Senior Contributor

welcome cattle dogs are just that, bred to chase and round up cattle. they are extremely high energy and very intellegent dogs who need extreme amounts of excersise and room.
there are thousands of tests you can do, i suggest doing few and comparing results and then taking the average and going from there. have fun
Old June 23rd, 2004, 07:34 PM

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice I have done a couple of the questionaires online and found that a greayhound looks like a good fit for me. However, I am not looking for a dog that big. I am not necessarily looking for a purebred, my intention was to adopt from a shelter somewhere, it is important to me to give a dog in need a home so I am not going to y one from a breeder.

I am thinking about a lab, any thoughts in an apartment?? I just am trying to find out the best possible fit given my situation.

Thanks again,

Danielle
Old June 23rd, 2004, 07:57 PM
Senior Contributor

If you want a lab, you need to shop temperment. Big Time. Some do great in apartments, others do not. Oh, my mom has a greyhound, and my brother has two. While the greyhounds are tall, the heaviest weighs in at about 75 pounds. I know many labs that weigh much closer to 100 pounds.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:30 PM
Senior Contributor

A Lab is a dog of much higher energy than a greyhound, and can be very big.

Greyhounds ARE good apartment dogs. They are not high energy, have no doggy odour, and are not barky - very important for apt. living.

Mine was 80lbs, but could curl up small enough to fit on the head of a pin.
Old June 23rd, 2004, 09:52 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I was just gonna say that LR

These dogs are large to look at but when they lay down and curl up you'd swear they were only 30 lbs!

I adore greyhounds. A friend of mine has two rescues and they are the most gentle and adoring dogs, truly loving and quiet disposition and personality. I love em!
Old June 24th, 2004, 02:49 AM

If you think a greyhound is good for you, but too large. Try looking at the Whippet, look and act like greyhounds, just smaller. My friend owned one, lived in an apartment. Small mind you, and had a high amount of energy. But some aren't as high energy as he was. Personally, and I know I'm gunna get alot of comments about this, but I think any dog is suited for an apartment. BUT it does depend on how active you are with it. I had three dogs living in an apartment, one male apbt (78lbs) and a female (40lbs), as well as an australian shep/catahoula X. But have moved out of there, because of some issues with the aus. shep x I owned that had to be put to sleep due to rat poison. I now have my two apbt, and am in a house with a backyard. They don't go in the backyard much, still keeping the routine of rollerblading, etc.
Ok, I got off topic, sorry

I suggest looking into the Whippet. http://www.members.shaw.ca/swiftsure1/nwcc/rescue.html you can go here to contact a rescue in Ontario

As well, the Boston Terrier and Bull Terriers are great dogs!

http://www.ontariopetrescue.com/breedresqs.html here are some websites and contact information for rescues in Ontario for all sorts of breeds. They may be able to help place one with you
Old June 24th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Senior Contributor

DACHSHUNDS,I JUST LOVE THEM,always had one when we were growing up,best buddy i ever had..
Old June 24th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

If you consider a daxie then get one already house trained because they are very difficult to house train! This can be a problem in an apt!

www.wienerdogrescue.com
Old June 24th, 2004, 11:13 AM

Well, I live in an apartment and I have a lab--Ellie. She turned 9 months old yesterday. I'm lucky that I live about two miles from a *great* dog park and because I'm a student, I was able to spend a lot of time at home with her when she was really little and work on obedience and house training.

*However* my vet had suggested that she not visit the dog park until she'd had her second round of shots. And she would not let me wait that long. Her energy level as a baby was immense. She required two dog park visits a day of at least an hour each to keep her energy level down in the house. Now we go once a day for about an hour and a half--longer if the weather's nice and she's really enjoying her swim. I've found that I enjoy it as much as she does. She stays with my dad oftentimes when I'm working and sometimes when it gets to be dog park time, *I* want to go even though she isn't here!

I recommend labs to almost anyone who wants a good dog who is loyalty driven, highly trainable and friendly, but I hesitate to say you can't go wrong with one. At 9 months, Ellie is pushing 70 lbs. already and will probably max out at 80. I wish you guys could see how much her little legs are shooting out! I should correct that to say big legs. She's a large girl, even by lab standards.

I'm moving at the end of the summer to a larger house with a two acre fenced yard that she'll share with the dogs next door (Her uncles, Buck and Jake belong to my dad). And I'm looking forward to her being able to expend more of her energy being able to go outside a lot.

BUT, if you don't mind a new housemate who is happier to see you return from work than anyone you've ever known in your life and you have to time to get her outside for a couple of hours a day off leash, labs are the best--but not without their faults. A lab can live in an apartment, but it takes more work on the part of the owner for sure.

I'm happy that you're looking to adopt a new friend. I think everyone who wants a dog should have a dog, but that's just my humble opinion. I didn't really grow up with dogs. Ellie is my first. And now that she's a bit older, I have no regrets. When she was still peeing on my floor regularly, I had my doubts though, I'll admit. But she's turned out lovely, as will your new buddy if you focus your time and energy on her accordingly.
Old June 24th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

I just love them,my mom always had one,we never had problems with anything training wise,he had back problem,my mom sold all her hummels to pay for it,i was young,i remember my dad wanted to put him to sleep,well my dad wound up sleeping on the couch for awhile,but the dog recovered had to hold his back legs when we walked him,but he was the greatest dog...
Old June 24th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Doxie's also have a tendency to develope back problems. I have heard that stairs and jumping are hard on their backs.
Old June 24th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Yes thats true, many of them actually break their spines from stair climbing and furniture jumping. Some even from learning the trick 'beg' by trying to sit on their back legs. That unfortunately happened to my friends dog, poor little Franklyn. He wasn't taught how to beg just decided one day to get up on his hind legs then he whipped over and snapped his back. Surgery woulda saved him but he had a massive blood clot I think just after the procedure in Guelph and died.
Old June 24th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah he did,he had surgery and lived many more years after,my dad felt like sh%^ for wanting to just put him to sleep,we had another one after him,max,he was so sweet,lived til about a couple of years ago,one day he just woke up and lost his sense of bearings,would walk behind the bedroom door trying to get out of the room,just got very disoriented,i think it was a liver problem i am not sure,had to put him to sleep,was the sadddddesttt day i can recall,he was my buddy,when i would go visit my parnts he would get so excited and just cry and cry,he was the best...
Old June 24th, 2004, 04:42 PM

I have actuallly found a Lab Greyhoud cross that I am looking into. She is gorgeous and they are saying that only apartment dwellers should look into adopting her as she is a jumper and had jumped over a 7 foot fence before. She is 3 years and I am told that that is when Lab's start to mature. She is gorgeous, looks like a Lab, but taller I think (hard to tell in the pic). I have e-mailed the foster parent and am impatiently waiting for a reply. Now that I am looking into it very thoroughly its heartbreaking there are so many dogs in need of a good home you just want to take them all

I spoke to a foster parent the other day who told me that the dogs are locked up in a dark cage for 20 hours a day. How horrible, at bear minimum my quest for a dog has opened my eyes to the situations that many of these dogs are in. I am going to be buying a house in the next year so I think once I do and I have the space I will start to foster. I think its the saddest thing

Danielle
Old June 24th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Best of Luck! Now the hard work begins.