Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 17th, 2009, 06:59 PM

Should I give up my pet?

Hi all,

I'm sorry to say due to the crappy ass economy my father lost his job and money has become really tight. My mom lost her job earlier this year and lexi who I bought for them was a great help. She keeps them active and busy. Got my dad out of depression when he got laid off last week.

Originally, I had all the funds to pay for her, but now I'm giving that money to my parents to cover for their new medical coverage deductible.

That includes the pet insurance.

She's had her first shots and has everything in place for her.

Only thing I don't think I can pay for is her future shots (I think she has 3 left for the year). She is 11 weeks old.

I'm a student and can't afford much.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Things should be turning on the bright side next year and we should have money for all her expenses including pet insurance.

I want to be responsible and make sure she gets all the medical attention necessary.

What should I do? Should I give her up?

Thanks for all your suggestions. The lay off was such a shock.
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:38 PM

Please don't give up your dog. Whatever it takes to keep her, do it, even if it means no health insurance for her for a while (if that's what you have to do).
Our dogs are family. In your post you even said she is important to your parent's emotional and physical health.
Was talking to a dog park buddy about this very thing yesterday...we both agreed we'd go to a food bank for ourselves before we'd part with our furries. This sounds like a short term challenge. I encourage you to do what you need to do to keep your little companion.
Old May 17th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Doggie Wench

Have you discussed giving up your pup with your parents? When I was younger, bad economy or not, I was always able to find a part-time job, even a few hours a week in order to save up for something I needed. Is that an option for you?
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Check around. I know that some of the "chain" vet offices in my area are offering discounts on shots. Also - check your local shelters and big box pet stores. I know that in Michigan, some of the PetCo stores have once a month shot clinics. Check around with some local rescue groups. They may know of some place you can get some help.

Don't give up your puppy unless you absopositivitlutely have to.
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Sleep..What is that?!?

It's funny you should ask this...I have been thinking a lot about folks who lose their jobs and can't keep their pets...I saw a story on the news about it too...it was so sad. To give up a member of the family because hard times have hit and then when you get back on your feet and that member is gone I too say FIND a way to keep Lexi...Lexi isn't disposable...it is like if you hit on hard times and your parents gave you away instead of trying to work things out.

After seeing the story, I have started giving cat food and litter to the food bank when I can (things are sure tough for me right now too, so I give what I can :sad...they sure need it and they are always so much more thankful when they see it mixed in with the people food.

Good luck

Mom to
Seth - Brown Tabby
Messina - Blonde Tabby
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I wouldn't give up your pet/family memeber.everyone is going through job loss.things will turn around.there is getting a part-time job like luckypenny mentioned.and talk to your parents let them know how you feel and if your pup is that important to you and them they will find away to make things work out.
Old May 17th, 2009, 11:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Not sure where you're located, but if it's in the U.S. this link might help you find low-cost vaccinations and vet care, and some even offer help with pet food: http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/tr..._your_pet.html

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Due to the economy, there are shelters that are actually assisting people. They have donated food banks etc. Also, some rescue groups also may have a fund for emergencies to assist. Most rescues get food donations by companies....they may have some extra grub and would be more than happy to assist.

I remember WAY back when I was a single mom with 6 cats and 2 dogs. I lost my job and was jobless for 8 months. I did however go back to school during this time. Once I graduated, I got some pretty crappy jobs that required me to be away from my child during 12 hour shifts. The money was crap.

Where there is a will there is a way. I remember cashing in bottles just to ensure that everyone was fed. It was a humbling time in my life - but I did it and I am damn proud of myself looking back. No one animal or person in my family suffered. We made it!
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:06 AM

Please don't give up your dog. Dogs and cats have a special job to do for us and it would be another heartbreak for all of you. You could always borrow money in the meantime. People don't realise that we can survive on very little and still be happy. Good luck in your parents' search for jobs.