Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Old April 28th, 2005, 10:28 AM

URGENT- Need Nursing Momma Cat

As many of you know, I took in the little kitten originally posted by SOS Miow. He is now 11 days old and doing really well on the bottle, except for one major thing: he is having trouble pooping. After a lengthy discussion with my vet, a nursing Momma would be best for Norton ASAP. The Momma would stimulate him properly and there is obviously the right protein/water ratio in her milk that would prevent constipation.

PLEASE HELP. I will take in any friendly nursing mother with only a few kittens (in order to have room for Norton). I will then find good, responsible homes for the kittens (if I didn't decide to keep them myself!) in a few months after they are old enough to be spayed/neutered.

We are beyond attached to Norton and want to do the right thing. Any Momma would be brought to the vet and tested for FIV/FeLv before letting Norton nurse.

THANK YOU,
Lisa.
Old April 28th, 2005, 10:53 AM

Lisa I've just pm'd you..
Old April 28th, 2005, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Does this mean your offer to take the mom and kittens from that guy (other thread) has fallen through? I wonder if the SPCA could help you. Poor Norton.
Old April 28th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Does this mean your offer to take the mom and kittens from that guy (other thread) has fallen through?
Lisa has no means of getting in touch with him.

LIsa how are you stimulating the kitten? You have to stroke pretty firmly with a moist cottonball.
Old April 28th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

mineral oil

I pm'd Lisa about mineral oil. Two drops in the formula makes a big difference as it works to help them poop. I know it definitely helped the little 5 day old pups I was feeding. The vet recommended it. Of course, Lisa may already have that in the formula. Poor little Norton... at least he's in the best hands possible right now!
Old April 28th, 2005, 01:53 PM

Mineral Oil/Lactulose

My vet is very pragmatic and suggested I try a Mama cat first. The problem is that there is a risk of diarrhea if you add stuff to the formula and diarrhea can be fatal. Of course, so can not pooping. My tailless cats with Manx Syndrome have taught me how fragile the bowel system really is.

I have a contact checking the SPCA for me right now to see if they have a Mama cat and kittens that I woul djust "take" and then find homes for later (without their help).

Lisa.
Old April 28th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Lisa I just found this on a cat site. I hope it will help.

------------------------
Constipated or straining kittens? In this case, you would want to increase the strength of the formula, and feed slightly smaller amounts, but feed more frequently. If the kitten has a swollen abdomen and hasn't passed a bowel movement in over a day, you may want to try mineral oil given by mouth (3 drops per ounce of body weight). You may want to discuss with your vet whether or not a warm, soap-water enema can or should be given
Old April 28th, 2005, 06:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I ran into this problem with one kitten I was hand rearing many yrs ago - and the closest vet and cats were not his specialty - farm animals and any animal that worked in some way took priority! (His attitude was very old school and it was good luck and if you lose one or two, you did your best!) Fortunately, I had my grandmother and her experience. But no nursing mother. (Most of the barn cats had been spayed by this time by gram, thankfully - these kittens were the offspring of a stray mamma killed by a four legged metal object that is weighed by the tons)

Her advice was similar to Lucky's. Increase the strength of the formula (and our formula was less complicated than KMR and the ones we use today - 15 yrs or so later. We had primarily evaporated milk, glucose and hot water - all simmered together, cooled and then bottle fed), and feed slightly smaller amounts, but feed more frequently.

Marmalade (my kitten with the problem) had a swollen tummy and had not passed a bowel movement in over a day and so in desperation more than anything else (nothing all that scientific), we tried giving her mineral oil by mouth.I have read since the recommended does is 3 drops per ounce of body weight but we actually played it by ear but erred in the side of caution. My vet says 1 ml water with a small drop of olive oil also works.

IF then none of that works, the vet may need to give her an enema. I agree with the vet that a mama who has newborns and is good with them (Some are not!) would be great but I wonder about adding a mom cat when this kitten is 11 days old?

Are you rubbing/stroking the little one vigourously enough? I know that took me awhile to figure out what was right - on the one hand, I wanted to make sure they eliminated and that I could be a good "pretend" mama but on the other, I was afraid of hurting them - they were soooo tiny! You probably have it down pat - just thought I'd ask since sometimes the obvious does not always come to us when we are very worried about something.

Good luck!! I wish I had more help to offer. It sounds like he is in great hands!! (Literally!!)

I am adding a pict of Marmalade - one of the four I raised - just to show you. Maybe she will be inspiring! (It is a scanned photo from an old one so I hope it is OK)
Attached Images

Old April 28th, 2005, 08:21 PM

Surrogate

I found a Mama at the SPCA Laval whose 8 week-old kittens were taken away from her today. She has one good nipple and lo and behold, as soon as Norton drank, and I stimulated him, a tiny bit of poo came out. It is not nearly enough poo though and this Mama has probably had it with kittens after 8 weeks of nursing already. In other words, I need a Mama with younger kittens whose nipples are full of milk. Noa is a great surrogate in the mean time. I will have her spayed and find her a good home. She seems like a nice enough cat.

STILL KEEP LOOKING PLEASE AND LET ME KNOW ASAP. I LOVE NORTON!!!!

Lisa.
Old April 28th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Lisa you are too awesome. Thanks for saving that mamma cat who would surely die if not for you!
Old April 30th, 2005, 07:59 PM

What about the other mom & kittens?

Hi Lisa,

What about the other mother and kittens from Mr. Dufresne. I gave you his number this morning and hope you called him. If not, please let me know.

He was really hoping to hear from you.

I mentioned in previous posts that he was calling me today (Saturday) and that I would put him in touch with you.

SOS
Old April 30th, 2005, 11:14 PM

I've been quite ill this evening and went to bed very early.

I will call the man Sun. AM, and see what I can do, but I already have such a full house and have saved two Momma cats in the past few days. I was prepared to help this man earlier in the week but you mis-wrote his number and I couldn't let Norton suffer until Saturday when this gentleman was supposed to call. What if I had waited in vain? The situation was far too critical.

I'll keep everyone posted. If the gentleman's kittens are really 7 days old then it would be ideal actually for Norton. The kittens he is with now are 6 weeks old and quadruple his size and full of spit and vinegar.

Lisa.
Old May 1st, 2005, 12:14 AM

Other mother & 3 babies

I spoke to you this morning at 8:30 am and told you that Dufresne had called me and I took both his numbers for you. You told me to PM them to you, which I did at 8:47 am. I see by the times of various postings that you were on the site a lot today, but never looked at my PM until 5:47 by which time you had already made arrangements to get another mother & kittens.

Why didn't you respond to my PM? If you have taken other kitties, I will have to call Dufresne on Sunday morning and take the mother & babies to our shelter .... I was sure you were going to follow up my phone call this morning and contact Dufresne.

I really hope he hasn't taken them to the SPCA or the vet to be put down.
Old May 1st, 2005, 07:14 AM

Lucky,

Can you please delete SOS's post? It makes me sound like a deadbeat and I do not want my reputation in rescue smeared. In fact, I have saved two Mama cats from certain death within the last few days and countless other cats in the past, many of them at death's door.

I was working all morning yesterday at a RC Church and coordinating the First Communions. I did not check the computer until I got home last night at 5:40 PM. How could I? I was running around like mad and I was driving a lot in the afternoon. One of the places I had to go was to the vet to pick up ear mite treatments for the latest Mama and her kittens. Of course, I pay for all of this out-of-pocket. Janet only called be at 2 PM and I have proof on my cell. I was driving and had a child passenger and I was not going to endanger her by writing down a phone number. Last night, I had a violent migraine including nausea and I was unable in my weakened state to find anyone to call Mr. Dufresne who only speaks French. This morning at Church, I will find someone to call him.

Thank you.
Old May 1st, 2005, 09:06 AM

Apology

Quote:
Originally Posted by canine14
Lucky,

Can you please delete SOS's post? It makes me sound like a deadbeat and I do not want my reputation in rescue smeared. In fact, I have saved two Mama cats from certain death within the last few days and countless other cats in the past, many of them at death's door.
I apologize for the terse tone of my posting. I am very worried about the little family from Mr. Dufresne. If no one calls him today, he will bring them to our shelter between noon and 3:00 pm. while we are having an adoption clinic. I'd much rather see them go into a home.
Old May 1st, 2005, 09:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Lisa, you are not running a rescue, yet in the past week or so you have saved the orphan kitten, two female cats and a litter of kittens.

I think you've done enough - a million times more than most people would EVER do!

Thank you so much!! You can bring the first mamma to our adoption event next week!

When you get pics of the kittens, please send them to me.
Old May 1st, 2005, 06:43 PM

Norton has a new family

Norton now has the perfect family. Suzie, the Momma, is a semi-longhaired tortie with green eyes and the sweetest disposition imaginable. She has three of the cutest babies: Ben (buff and white), Trixie (dilute calico) and Ralph (red tabby). I just peeked into their box and Norton, with the fullest belly, is sleeping on his back with his paws in the air beside his new brothers and sisters.

Breathing a sigh of relief,
Lisa.

PS Photos will be coming once camera is picked up from friend's house.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 07:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Canine,that is great fuzzy-feeling news..lucky little Norton :love:
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Lisa, you are a
Attached Images

Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:26 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

wonderful

awww Lisa, I'm so happy for Norton. I couldn't get on all weekend while away and kept thinking of the little guy. So happy to hear that he is doing well and that you got the mommy cat as well. You're the best!
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Lisa,

I have a quality home looking for a male kitten. I am wondering when any of your kittens will be available for adoption? Thanks.