Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Puppy health

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 1st, 2010, 03:29 PM
Jpag Jpag is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1
10 Month Lab with Moderate Hip Displaysia: Should I get a Total Hip Replacement?

My small female lab was diagnosed with moderate hip displaysia when she was 6 months old. I took her into the vet because she had a slight limp and that is how I found out she had it. Since then she has no real signs of pain or even having the problem. I don't think I would even know if it wasn't for the one time. She runs, plays and is a very hyper 11 month puppy! There is the odd time I can tell she is favoring her right leg or she turned it the wrong way...but other then that she is pain free and has great mobility. My issue is the vets are pushing for me to get a THR sooner rather than later. I am confused because she doesn't seem to have any clinical symptoms of HD. I did make the mistake of buying her from a pet store ( I know now what a puppy mill is....learned my lesson the hard way..but still love her lots!) The thing is the pet store has been really great about the whole thing and has paid for everything regarding her hip.(She gets cartrophen shots and HD supplements) They have offered to pay for the hip replacement which is about $6000.00 if I get it done in her 2 year warranty (by Feb 2012). So my issue is I have no idea what to do! Do I get the surgery even though she is showing no pain or issue with her hips? Or do I not get it and take the chance of having to get it later down the road and pay for it? I don't want to get the surgery just because it is free...but that is what my vet and specialist are saying! They are saying it will effect her one day and why not get it done when it is free! What would you do in this situation? Please no comments of the puppy mill issue..I am more then aware now.....just need to deal with this issue

Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 04:41 PM
hazelrunpack's Avatar
hazelrunpack hazelrunpack is offline
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Just east of the Hazelnut Patch, Wisconsin
Posts: 53,750
If she's already showing minimal signs of discomfort chances are she'll have worse problems in future. I'd sure consider the surgery--we had a springer done (both hips) at the age of 5 and although we never noticed that she was favoring anything or slow before, we sure did notice an freedom of movement and energy afterward that we didn't know was missing. Sometimes dogs don't let on how much discomfort they're in--especially young, exuberant ones.

Will she need both hips done or just the one? Ask the specialist lots of questions. You might want to ask them how long they think the implants would hold up--if they're going to wear out in, say, 6 years, you should probably wait. You don't want to have them wear out or break down during your dog's lifetime. Ask how early your dog can have the surgery--are the bones well-developed enough?

It's good that you've been offered the option so early--you can do a couple months of research before having to make a final decision.

If you have questions about the surgery and recovery itself, I may be able to help. I doubt the recuperation is much different now than it was when we had Priscilla done. That may also play a part in your decision--strictly limiting activity goes a far way in a good outcome. High-energy dogs are, understandably, more difficult to keep quiet.
"We are--each of us--dying; it's how we live in the meantime that makes the difference."

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 06:02 PM
cell cell is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 586
I think you should consider getting it done especially if it is under warranty, you are very very lucky the store is wiling to help you. I would wait until the later part of the warranty though and let her enjoy her first year or so without surgery. But you need to consider how much aftercare help the store will give you and what total recovery time is required.
Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 06:26 PM
bendyfoot's Avatar
bendyfoot bendyfoot is offline
Geek Club CEO
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Ontario
Posts: 5,019
Jeez louise, if the pet store is going to pay for it (), I would go for it...the cynic in me says to make sure you get an estimate from the vet and get the pet shop to agree to that estimate IN WRITING before you go ahead with it (unless you're prepared to pay for it yourself if they balk).

My understanding is that they can only do one hip at a time (I think) so you may not want to wait too long...there has to be a healing process between the first and second surgeries.

I agree with Hazel; if it caused mild problems now it will likely cause big problems later. If you're hesitant, get a second opinion from an orthopedic specialist. In the meantime, be sure to always keep your dog lean and fit; strong muscles and low body fat will help prevent joint strain and injury.
Owned by:
Solomon - black DSH - king of kitchen raids (11)
Gracie - Mutterooski X - scary smart (9)
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Boo, our Matriarch (August 1 1992 - March 29 2011)
Riley and Molly
Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2010, 07:05 PM
luckypenny's Avatar
luckypenny luckypenny is offline
Doggie Wench
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Philippe-de-Laprairie, Qc
Posts: 11,812
Jpag, how was the diagnosis confirmed? Have you consulted with a specialist yet or just your vet?
"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance." -Will Durant
Reply With Quote

bad hips, displaysia, hip, moderate, surgery

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
    Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 0%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.